Pickled Green Tomatos

Started by NCR600, January 03, 2014, 07:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCR600

Any of you's (spelled "you'se" in Australia) have a good recipe for this?

My tomato seedlings (Ponderosa Red and Brandywine) got smashed by rain and never took, but I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes take off from old soil from some pots that were on the balcony of my apartment years ago, and have gone feral around the compost bin. Or they did until the cat discovered a nest of rats underneath them, and I had to rip them out to get rid of the rats. So now I have a ton of green cherry tomatos.  I cant bring myself to chuck em out, because it's my entire tomato crop and wanted to do something with them.
Seen a few recipes around the net, but thought I'd at least ask the question here.

Any other ideas apart from pickling?

RAGER

You could just do a straight pickle maybe add some red onion for an interesting color. 

the other day I came across a killer clam bucatini recipe with green tomatoes and fennel broth.  It's all finished off on the pan with some pork sausage and horseradish creme fraiche.  I can give you the destructions but you can probably figure it out.

Another way I like to use them is in a super fresh summer like veggie soup.  And them in at the last to retain the texture and zing.

There's always battered and fried too.

Make a green tomato salsa.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on January 03, 2014, 12:55:49 PM
You could just do a straight pickle maybe add some red onion for an interesting color. 

the other day I came across a killer clam bucatini recipe with green tomatoes and fennel broth.  It's all finished off on the pan with some pork sausage and horseradish creme fraiche.  I can give you the destructions but you can probably figure it out.

Another way I like to use them is in a super fresh summer like veggie soup.  And them in at the last to retain the texture and zing.

There's always battered and fried too.

Make a green tomato salsa.
wheres the pics, man..

Beta Cloud

it's fucking 1degree fahrenheit here in buffalo ny fucking freezing!
missing my garden and green tomatoes.
in the summer months, i'd always look for a less than ripe roma tomato and snatch it. not too hard, and showing some yellow when held up to the light.
sliced 1/4 in. horizontally, nice fat slices.
dip in eggwash, (2 eggs; one yolk and two whites).
dip in bread crumbs, (i season mine w/italian spices).
fry in HOT olive oil.
excellent breakfast food.
i serve it with over-easy eggs and chorizo.
thanks for the memories!

why does it hurt when i pee?

Beta Cloud

and as food goes, ALWAYS listen to RAGER.
why does it hurt when i pee?

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Shaft, focus!  It's Australia. It's still a penal colony. Duh
No Focus Pocus

NCR600

It's spelled Penile Colony

I was thinking of using a few in cooking as is, mostly because I've never tasted the fried green tomatos, despite downhome USA food being the hot cooking style here at the moment, green tomatos don't seem to be included in the hipster cookbook. After tatsing a few, they seemed to be really acidic, so I did one batch as an old fashioned Australian/English pickle. Nothing fancy about it at all, just the tomatos, onions, vinegar, sugar, curry powder and turmeric. Based on an old recipe card I found in my partner's mother's stuff. It tastes awesome and the jar is not going to see the month out.

The rest got preserved whole in a basic sugar/ apple cider vinegar solution with fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns. Hopefully the brine will penetrate the skins and tone the acidity down a bit. They won't be ready for a month or so.

We got another batch of seedlings planted today. Assuming they take off before it gets too cold, I'm going to try Rager's Buccatini & Beta Cloud's Fried Green Toms recipes.