john carpenter's The Thing

Started by kojak, February 26, 2011, 12:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kojak

holy fucking shit

i had never seen this until last night... first off, there was no bullshit filler here... no weak plot points driven into the ground.. no time wasted on exposition... this steak had not a trace of fat on it.  so right there it is far above most horror movies.  and the effects... damn!  AMAZING work all around.  shocking and disturbing stuff!  this movie delivered in every area possible in my opinion.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

peoplething

it's where I pulled my username from.

easily one of the best sci-fi horror movies ever.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Discö Rice

Agreed. One of the all time best of the genre, if not the best.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

core9

And their gonna ruin this one to by doing another fuckin remake!  LAME!!!!!!

The Shocker

Quote from: core9 on March 31, 2011, 10:43:27 AM
And their gonna ruin this one to by doing another fuckin remake!  LAME!!!!!!

Is that for real?  Like the sucker I am, I'd still check it out...

EaterofBirds

Yeah, gonna make a prequel of sorts. Going to show what happened to the team that this US expedition finds that unearthed the craft. I'm okay with it, because The Thing was essentially a remake, and a damn good one at that. Been making the rounds on Encore lately, and watched it twice the past week. Great flick and kind of cool that someone is just seeing it for the first time now. Was like the coolest effects ever for a horror flick when I was a kid..blew me away.

I was reading the wiki page for the movie and this was Carpenters biggest bomb after a fairly heavy budget was finally thrown at him. Go figure. Maybe thats why Hollywood hasn't given him much to work with since.

Jor el

Quote from: EaterofBirds on April 01, 2011, 10:01:44 AM
I was reading the wiki page for the movie and this was Carpenters biggest bomb after a fairly heavy budget was finally thrown at him.

A bigger bomb than "Big Trouble" ?
What Would Scooby Do ?

giantchris

Quote from: Jor el on April 01, 2011, 03:23:07 PM
Quote from: EaterofBirds on April 01, 2011, 10:01:44 AM
I was reading the wiki page for the movie and this was Carpenters biggest bomb after a fairly heavy budget was finally thrown at him.

A bigger bomb than "Big Trouble" ?
Big Trouble in Little China may have bombed but its still a classic!

But seriously his version of The Thing is awesome.  Best ending scene ever and I wasn't able to buy Quaker oatmeal for weeks after seeing Wilford Brimley.

SpaceTrucker

I played a playstation 2 videogame based after the movie and it was pretty tight. Flamethrower and bloodtests and all in it.

Here is a link to the book

http://www.scaryforkids.com/who-goes-there-by-john-w-campbell/

Will the movie be in Norwegian? just kidding, hey, what if it doesn't suck?

Oh yeah, watch it again it gets better.

P.S I love the part where the guy runs into the snow and has alien hands and shrieks and then they blast him. Unreal.

Jor el

Why's he gotta carve open their entire thumbs just for a blood sample?
What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

Quote from: Jor el on April 23, 2011, 10:15:55 PM

Why's he gotta carve open their entire thumbs just for a blood sample?

Ha!  I always wondered that myself.  Dudes looked like they'd need stitches.  Maybe it's so cold, cuts don't bleed as much?