Main Menu

How important is image?

Started by sanovine, February 06, 2014, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Another reason you should have been in glam/cock rock bands, Mark!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I used to like to look the part when I was much younger.  Not so much nowadays.  I prefer to hide in front of Les Pauls and loud tube amps.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Yours truly, cock-rockin' back in the day:

Still rocking the cock. What can I say?:

Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

RacerX

Seeing photos of my long-lostpawned Mockingbird always makes me sad.
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

At the end of the day what's the difference between hair farming and beard farming? Really?  :D

RacerX

Location, location, & location.
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Like everything else, the answer is "it depends" and there are always exceptions.

Quote from: The Riffer on February 07, 2014, 11:28:27 AMVisual is half of the performance. Bands that have a great visual image along with great music seem to go farther.

True. If you want to "make it in music" then it's more important. It's easier to get peoples' attention if they want to fuck you. It's not the kiss of death if they don't, but it's a potential advantage you won't have, which young, cute, skinny boys with long hair will have. Not convinced? Compare the careers of The Sword with Crowbar, and get back to me. "People want to be you, or be with you" is how people have phrased it. If you just want to make music and be in a local or regional band, no problem with your below average looks. If you entertain delusions of "making it big" then looking good (and looking the part) makes a difference. There are exceptions of course, and the style of music makes a difference. And amazing talent can trump a lot of negatives. Authenticity also matters... I could teach my 60 year old neighbor how to play the bass, and he could become good enough to play in a black metal band. Could he be on the cover of Decibel some day? Probably not. Could he play in a band and do some local shows, maybe get some local attention? Sure.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

I'm putting together a surf green jazz bass with chrome lipstick pickups, maple board. Will it have the right image for doom?

dogfood

Theater. I had this girlfriend when I was 19 (I'm 46ish now) who was a singer/dancer/actress and a darn good one.  At the time I was digging Zep, Metallica and moving toward The Cult, and guitar driven post punk.  So, my DJ buddy spins me some Iggy and some Dead Boys.  And it hits me like a ton of bricks, music, especially on stage, is theater.  After the whole Iggy thing sunk in I was trying desperately to explain to my girlfriend how the concept of theater and/or performance could catapult a crap band like Kiss, Twisted Sister, or Wasp into the atmosphere and how live music or any music for that matter was an exchange of ideas/opinions/thought and how blah blah.  She looks at me with the most boring expression and says "yeah".  One word. No enthusiasm, like I was an idiot.  She was a child of theater and performance and understood this shit from her Annie/nutcracker days.  Gwar OWNS it, Bucket Head, who is a virtuoso, is booooooooring.  Every band that hits the stage has their own comfort level of theater. One of the things that was so appealing to """grunge""" was the thankful demise of Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Lover Boy, and their hair stylist.  Cobain couldn't play guitar to save his life but that cross dressing junkie could bring the hate.

Problem solving whiskey!

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: dogfood on February 07, 2014, 09:54:05 PM
Bucket Head, who is a virtuoso, is booooooooring.

Not sure I'd have come up with Buckethead as my first example of not being theatrical, but mostly checked out live footage with Claypool, with the murder during the drum solo.

Glitchyghost

Just ask KADAVAR.  I'm fairly certain that the 4th member of their band is a photographer.   If you want an example of a band with more focus on style than music, it's them. 

dogfood

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 07, 2014, 10:12:17 PM
Quote from: dogfood on February 07, 2014, 09:54:05 PM
Bucket Head, who is a virtuoso, is booooooooring.

Not sure I'd have come up with Buckethead as my first example of not being theatrical, but mostly checked out live footage with Claypool, with the murder during the drum solo.

Yeah, he is got the theater and is still a dreadful failure.  Quite the point. 

And, if I ever get my hands on that French jhazz molester I'm gonna rip his goddamn eyes and arms from his frog body...not that I'm jealous.
Problem solving whiskey!

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: koi on February 07, 2014, 11:04:28 PM
Just ask KADAVAR.  I'm fairly certain that the 4th member of their band is a photographer.   If you want an example of a band with more focus on style than music, it's them. 

Hahaha spot on. 

The Riffer

Quote from: RacerX on February 07, 2014, 12:38:50 PM
Where do you hang on the "serious dong" issue?

There's no business like show business.

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 07, 2014, 12:40:50 PM
Another reason you should have been in glam/cock rock bands, Mark!
Yeah, that one passed me by. I was too ugly to be pretty, and if it were called acorn rock I coulda been a contender.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

agent of change

It's too easy to wear dark clothes and call your band BLACK POISON WITCH. The original point I think was to provoke people with frightening or mindblowing concepts. So we just changed our (relatively new, 3 shows in) band name to RADIANT BEINGS OF LIGHT and are going to dress all in formal whites, with spray-on sparkles. This town is like a mini-Sedonah, with so many "healers" offering Angel Readings and Astrological Shamanism workshops, so we will offer Anal Chakra cleansing. Several of the local metal scene People already hate the name. This makes me happy.

I think one of the questions underlying the op is if you want to provoke or comfort the audience.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: agent of change on February 08, 2014, 01:29:40 PM
It's too easy to wear dark clothes and call your band BLACK POISON WITCH. The original point I think was to provoke people with frightening or mindblowing concepts. So we just changed our (relatively new, 3 shows in) band name to RADIANT BEINGS OF LIGHT and are going to dress all in formal whites, with spray-on sparkles. This town is like a mini-Sedonah, with so many "healers" offering Angel Readings and Astrological Shamanism workshops, so we will offer Anal Chakra cleansing. Several of the local metal scene People already hate the name. This makes me happy.

I think one of the questions underlying the op is if you want to provoke or comfort the audience.

This is awesome. I'm serious.

lordfinesse

Quote from: agent of change on February 08, 2014, 01:29:40 PM

If they're listening to my band, I want the audience to feel awesome. I want them to carry in their minds the image of a wolf on a motorcycle racing a hawk flying right beside him, Top Gun style, with mountains in the distance and no finish line.
Billy Squier 24/7

spookstrickland

Just be yourself, but times 10...wear what ever you like don't be afraid of what people will think.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Instant Dan

RacerX

Madras blazer? That is casual.

Livin' The Life.

mutantcolors

Radiant Beings of Light quickly garnering hate from metalheads. That's how you know it's good.

Pissy

Quote from: mutantcolors on February 09, 2014, 03:40:07 AM
Radiant Beings of Light quickly garnering hate from metalheads. That's how you know it's good.

Going with image of anti-image.  That's a great image to undertake.
Vinyls.   deal.

Lumpy

Have you heard Three Day Stubble? They had an intense nerd thing going on. But it's comedic. (Punk rock band)

Also, Life Sex & Death was like a glammy rock band with a homeless-looking guy on vocals (I saw them once in the 90s, they were a great live band, especially the vocalist "Stanley" was an amazing performer, walking across tables etc). Somebody told me that Stanley actually reeked, when they met him back then.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.