Main Menu

Ampeg bass heads?

Started by Sleazy Cortez, March 28, 2014, 02:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleazy Cortez

So I'm looking to get an ampeg 8x10 and looking for the right head so I'm really happy and never have to buy another one unless I'm rich one day and can afford an orange.
My guitar tech friend is telling me to avoid all the svt pro heads. Saying svt2 is the only way to go, that svt3 and 4 are no bueno. Any opinions in this stuff?
Also, I got to play through nick oliveri's acoustic amp and cab, seemed cool at the time but when I see how "affordable" they are I must of course wonder why.
Help me on my Craigslist used gear journey por favor.
they call em fingers.... but i never seen em fing.

Metal and Beer

My experiences with those SVT-Pro heads hasn't been positive (especially the 4), and yeah I always hear the 2 is more robust...I dunno, I'm an Acoustic homer so I'd recommend one of those while they're still 200-300 bucks

Those SVT-4's don't sound good (TO ME...!) even when they're working right  ;)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Instant Dan

I think Dave Curran uses the SVT-3 or 4 with Unsane.

Sleazy Cortez

Ahhhh, help right off the bat!
they call em fingers.... but i never seen em fing.

everdrone

you can get a terror bass orange for like $600 new through humbuckermusic.com

it has tube preamp so it sounds legit and weighs only 10 pounds

you can buy an after market amp sleeve

Lumpy

There are tube versions of the SVT2 pro I believe?

If you have the money to indulge and you're strong enough to move 'em around, an older SVT tube amp is godly through the 8x10.

I would probably get something modern and lightweight, and let the preamps and pedals shape my tone. Because I'm old, and the SVTs are expensive to buy and maintain.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Metal and Beer

I didn't mention the old-school SVTs because of the "......unless I'm rich" thing, but tonewise those are my favorite Ampegs, easily. The weight thing would suck if you had to handle it more than ten minutes a night, but YMMV.
   The SVT-2's I'm familiar with have tube pre and solid state power sections

Lumpy

I forget which one, but one of the SVT II is an all-tube overlooked sleeper amp.

Honest to Betsy (?) I think bass heads are less important than people think. Get something loud, it doesn't have to be toobs. There are new bass amps that are lightweight and loud as fuck.

Instant Dan

I always thought the Mesa 400/400+ was underrated. Granted they are more clean machines.

RacerX

Re: the old SVT sound vs. cost problema:

Just get the Tech 21 SVT character pedal and a burly power amp & spend the rest on weed.
Livin' The Life.

Mr. Foxen

Ampeg 8x10 is going to be main limiter on your tone. Not really good at anything except being heavy. Plus there are some bad ones about, several periods of using bad speakers or OSB construction.

themusketking

Quote from: everdrone on March 28, 2014, 03:53:14 PM

I bought one of these and sold my Ampeg SVT3 AND my SVT4.  My 4 was a piece of junk. NEVER got the volume I could hope for. Just all around disappointing heads. I LOVE my Orange Terror Bass head.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

justJon

Re: the SVT4. On paper, it looks like a killer, but we must have spent the better part of a year trying to get the tone and volume we wanted out of one our last bass player used. Let him use my Acoustic 220, and never looked back!

+1for the tech 21>power amp route. I know a couple local players who use that and sound killer.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

everdrone

Quote from: themusketking on March 28, 2014, 09:07:46 PM
Quote from: everdrone on March 28, 2014, 03:53:14 PM

I bought one of these and sold my Ampeg SVT3 AND my SVT4.  My 4 was a piece of junk. NEVER got the volume I could hope for. Just all around disappointing heads. I LOVE my Orange Terror Bass head.

ya I have been g.a.s.sing for one

I heard a band play the Orange Terror 1000 bass and it sounded great

I prolly have enough stuff though, maybe need to sell some,

I have a tech21 VT bass character series pedal I record with

a Gallien 212 combo 500 watt powered amp for portability at 37 pounds but it has no growl

I have a Peavey pro tour 450 but no growl

my Line 6 lowdown 400 has tons of growl and great sound, not totally tube sound though, a little tough to dial in

Danny G

I have an old SVT-II (non pro)

All tube rack mount version of SVT

However mine developed a problem where it would crackle, like a dirty pot. But it wasnt a pot. Took it to best Ampeg tech in Austin and he was baffled.

When I was teching for Kings X saw that Dug Pinnick had one in his garage.

I asked him about it and he said "Yeah I LOVED that amp... But it developed this crackle that no one could fix..."

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

As per other amps, an old Acoustic or Sunn would do you right for SS amps.

An old V-4 would be good. Mid 70s or earlier SVT if you can find one for cheap.

Not a fan of the SVT-Classic or any SS/hybrid Ampeg. Even SVT-II Pro and its later versions just sound dull to me.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 28, 2014, 08:59:32 PM
Ampeg 8x10 is going to be main limiter on your tone. Not really good at anything except being heavy.

"Yeah every time I see a band with one, I get that same feeling" said no one ever. Did they rip you off or something?

Lumpy

He's a dedicated Ampeg hater, I would take his Ampeg comments with a grain of salt. Personally I love Ampeg 8x10s, the color they add to your tone is what I want from a bass cabinet. The same way an old Marshall cab adds it's own coloration to a guitar tone. I've never seen even one heavy band using the 3-way cabs he likes (3 way meaning woofer, mid range and tweeter). But the number of bands killing it with Ampeg 8x10s is legion. "One handed carry" - nobody in the audience cares about that.

everdrone

that reissue ampeg v4b seems pretty interesting at only 40 pounds!  very formidable in my opinion but I know what people say about current ampeg quality however... >:(

Danny G

I tried one of those out a few years back.

Running full bore me and my wife at the time could still talk to each other over it without raising our voices too much.

Not impressed.

everdrone

RAGER

Just to chime in here. I to love my old wreck of an 8x10. Burlap grill and all. Fukn totes brutes.
No Focus Pocus

Submarine

The venue I ran had an Ampeg endorsement.  I had several SVT Classics that would breakdown after 6-8 weeks, get repaired and then break down again.  Finally we bought a Hartke that never failed in 4 years.  As much as I love the classic SVT sound (i still like the cabinets) there are plenty of other heads out there that will do a great job.  Racer X mentioned the Tech 21 pedal - you will get much more bang for your buck.

liquidsmoke

Have you guys found the Tech 21 bass driver pedals to be loud enough straight into power amps? I think I remember reading that the line level is .7 or 1V although I have an older one without the line level switch. The input sensitivity of my power amp is 1.23V.

moose23

Quote from: Lumpy on March 29, 2014, 09:03:49 PM
He's a dedicated Ampeg hater, I would take his Ampeg comments with a grain of salt. Personally I love Ampeg 8x10s, the color they add to your tone is what I want from a bass cabinet. The same way an old Marshall cab adds it's own coloration to a guitar tone. I've never seen even one heavy band using the 3-way cabs he likes (3 way meaning woofer, mid range and tweeter). But the number of bands killing it with Ampeg 8x10s is legion. "One handed carry" - nobody in the audience cares about that.

Funny I've never seen Oli with any these 3 way cabs you speak of. Been all 4x12s and 2x15s from what I've seen and if I had the money to spare I'd use the same Barefaced 2x15s too.