Godzilla

Started by bbottom, May 18, 2014, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

So I was super pumped for this movie as soon as I heard that it was coming out. I always loved Godzilla and anytime a giant monster is fighting another giant monster.....I am totally on board.

Now I got a bit nervous when I heard that Bryan Cranston has been cast in the movie. The guy can act his ass off and that meant that they would have to much of a story for a monster movie. Then I heard that they got that indie film director, and I was even more nervous. Well sure enough......that's exactly what happened.

It actually went one step further than that. Up until the last 10 minutes of the film, whenever a monster fight started, the camera panned away. I mean it got to a point where I felt that the director was just totally fucking with me. The entire movie was nothing but the military and a stupid family. Who makes a freaking monster movie.......especially a Godzilla movie......and barely have monsters in it?!?

So if you want to see a fun no bs giant monster movie, pick up Pacific Rim. It's 100x more of a Godzilla movie than Godzilla.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

peoplething

Crap....

Crap.... Shit.....

Crap... Shit... Fuck...

Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...

Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...

Goddammit.

I'll probably still go see it though - and I just read that they're making a sequel cuz it made 93 million on the first weekend.

Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...Crap... Shit... Fuck... Balls...

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

mortlock

fuck, i was really looking forward to this one..guess it will be the new x-men this weekend instead..

bbottom

Quote from: peoplething on May 19, 2014, 08:11:44 AM

I'll probably still go see it though - and I just read that they're making a sequel cuz it made 93 million on the first weekend.

I'm sure that it only made that much because it was in 3-D.

I paid $17 for a ticket to see it in 3-D and Imax.

I would be shocked if it remained #1 two weeks in a row. I would think that most people would want to see Godzilla in their Godzilla movie

jmucke

They should have given Edwards half the budget to make a sequel to Monsters - that would have been great. I had high hopes for Godzilla and I liked that it took its time to show off its star but in the end - yes, way too much family drama and not enough monster mayhem.

mortlock

how do these people/film makers not realize this?? fuck, it happens all the time. too much love story, too much drama, too much bullshit and never enough action. all we want is action. all we've ever wanted is action. I mean who the fuck goes to the movies to see a love story..   

The Bandit

mortlock

true enough..but they already make movies that suck for chicks..why do you got to fuck up Godzilla??

andreto

True he is supposed to be a monster to terrorize people, make them wet their pants breaking everything in its path.

EaterofBirds

Quote from: bbottom on May 18, 2014, 11:09:42 PM
So I was super pumped for this movie as soon as I heard that it was coming out. I always loved Godzilla and anytime a giant monster is fighting another giant monster.....I am totally on board.

Now I got a bit nervous when I heard that Bryan Cranston has been cast in the movie. The guy can act his ass off and that meant that they would have to much of a story for a monster movie. Then I heard that they got that indie film director, and I was even more nervous. Well sure enough......that's exactly what happened.

It actually went one step further than that. Up until the last 10 minutes of the film, whenever a monster fight started, the camera panned away. I mean it got to a point where I felt that the director was just totally fucking with me. The entire movie was nothing but the military and a stupid family. Who makes a freaking monster movie.......especially a Godzilla movie......and barely have monsters in it?!?

So if you want to see a fun no bs giant monster movie, pick up Pacific Rim. It's 100x more of a Godzilla movie than Godzilla.

Lazy report/review whatever that was..there has to be a precursor and set-up for the storyline and it delivered.

"not enough monsters" is kneejerk and seems to be the tagline for lazy online bloggers..and yes, stick to Pacific Rim (which was absolute trash, not even glowy blue lights can save Charlie Hannum's acting career..). When that film hit the 2+ hour mark, I wanted to go on a shooting spree.

The Nu-Godzilla pays perfect homage to the Japaneses classics..enough so without going over the top I guess (if you can do that while making a moving about over-the-top-ness). Not only do they show enough to build tension early on and throughout, they save the best for last.

[spoiler]My question was, as apparently I wasn't paying as well of attention as I should've during one scene..were the creatures the incarnation of Mothra? I did catch a fishtank in Cranston's old room, that had a piece of tape on it that did say MOTHRA, which was pretty cool. They kept the original back story alive and worked in the nuclear "testing" throughout history as ways the governments were trying to destroy the earlier versions of Godzilla which worked, in a monster movie sense.  Edwards stylistic approach is not excessive, and that's probably what gave me the most hope about this one, yet ruined it for others..even had elements taken from his earlier film "Monsters" throughout (mating of the bug-like monsters, glowing eggs, jungle scenes, post apocalyptic scenery). I think his handling of sound and direction is pretty friggin tight, and I really don't think in the age of 150 million dollar budgets, it still feels restrained; not over the top bullshit ala Michael Bay..With that said, without the characters being built into this story and modernizing the nuclear facilities and coverup stories would have been a complete joke, as there would have been zero reason for Cranston to go on this personal mission..(he was a bit too much..almost reminded me of Donald Pleasance at times in this role..), but overall the fight scenes towards the end were amazing. Edwards took the time to add the element of "keeping Godzilla the peacekeeper" almost savior-like for humanity, which paid perfect homage to the 50-60's original. Edward's onboard now for a trilogy and in my book, this is a perfect set up for what could be a prefect reboot. I'm glad I didn't listen to the complaining online about the film and just went and saw it; brain checked at the entrance to the cinema.
[/spoiler]

Bro. Righteous

Sorry man, this blew piss-chunks of Hollywood-made horshit!
Fuck me, I woulda loved to sit there in my stoned state watching a
2hr original series of the mighty Lizard King rather than this limp-written
conformist Hollywood standard sub-standard piece-O-shit.
...and can we STOP w/the fucking patriotic hero US soldier bent for once.
Oy.vey!

I cannot believe my local weekly rag here graded this a five of five, who's
quaffing those pockets I say?...Piece-OOOOO-Shite!!
Albeit the VIP new theatre sections w/hot chicks bringing cold beers
at one's whim at your Eazy-Boy lounge-chair is pretty sweet....being
stoned as fuck...and.....thirsty.

Regardless, fuck this movie...you'll see it plenty repeated in a few years
in ALL it's cable-inducing-money$$$ grabbing format form.

1/2 bad Godzilla breaths outta 100000000000.

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

JkFlesh

Pacific Rim over Godzilla by a fucking mile.

Godzilla was okay.  I thought its attempts to be a "good" movie were misguided and instead it should have gone for full-bore comic book awesomeness like Pacific Rim did.  I really didn't like the way they kept cutting away to the people during the monster fight scenes.

ez

Godzilla was good, but Pacific Rim has it easily beat.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

mortlock

if pacific rim beats Godzilla, it must really suck. im not even sure im going to red box it at this point..

Jor el

Are You People™ going off of Godzilla movies you saw when you were a kid?
I don't recall any of them being wall-to-wall monster fights.
I'd say this is the best Godzilla movie made.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Dave J

Quote from: Jor el on May 27, 2014, 09:21:16 AM

Are You People™ going off of Godzilla movies you saw when you were a kid?
I don't recall any of them being wall-to-wall monster fights.
I'd say this is the best Godzilla movie made.

+1

The monster fighting gets redundant after awhile.  How many punches, bits and building topples can you see before it gets cliché?
I thought the build-up was good.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

ez

+2

Pacific Rim was still better though.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jor el

Pacific Rim was unwatchable.
What Would Scooby Do ?

bbottom

Quote from: EaterofBirds on May 23, 2014, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: bbottom on May 18, 2014, 11:09:42 PM

Lazy report/review whatever that was..there has to be a precursor and set-up for the storyline and it delivered.

"not enough monsters" is kneejerk and seems to be the tagline for lazy online bloggers..and yes, stick to Pacific Rim (which was absolute trash, not even glowy blue lights can save Charlie Hannum's acting career..). When that film hit the 2+ hour mark, I wanted to go on a shooting spree.

The Nu-Godzilla pays perfect homage to the Japaneses classics..enough so without going over the top I guess (if you can do that while making a moving about over-the-top-ness). Not only do they show enough to build tension early on and throughout, they save the best for last.

[spoiler]My question was, as apparently I wasn't paying as well of attention as I should've during one scene..were the creatures the incarnation of Mothra? I did catch a fishtank in Cranston's old room, that had a piece of tape on it that did say MOTHRA, which was pretty cool. They kept the original back story alive and worked in the nuclear "testing" throughout history as ways the governments were trying to destroy the earlier versions of Godzilla which worked, in a monster movie sense.  Edwards stylistic approach is not excessive, and that's probably what gave me the most hope about this one, yet ruined it for others..even had elements taken from his earlier film "Monsters" throughout (mating of the bug-like monsters, glowing eggs, jungle scenes, post apocalyptic scenery). I think his handling of sound and direction is pretty friggin tight, and I really don't think in the age of 150 million dollar budgets, it still feels restrained; not over the top bullshit ala Michael Bay..With that said, without the characters being built into this story and modernizing the nuclear facilities and coverup stories would have been a complete joke, as there would have been zero reason for Cranston to go on this personal mission..(he was a bit too much..almost reminded me of Donald Pleasance at times in this role..), but overall the fight scenes towards the end were amazing. Edwards took the time to add the element of "keeping Godzilla the peacekeeper" almost savior-like for humanity, which paid perfect homage to the 50-60's original. Edward's onboard now for a trilogy and in my book, this is a perfect set up for what could be a prefect reboot. I'm glad I didn't listen to the complaining online about the film and just went and saw it; brain checked at the entrance to the cinema.
[/spoiler]

Fuck homages dude........the new Godzilla movie fucking sucked

Lumpy

I haven't seen this (and probably won't - maybe DVD) but Cloverfield was a good example of a monster movie where the creature was not onscreen very much, but there was plenty of tension and a compelling story (IMO).

Just having some guys in rubber suits knock each other around isn't considered good storytelling. However, it might appeal to the teenagers, and they're the ones who buy the most tickets.

/blabbing
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

yeah, but godzillas not shot in that first person mode or whatever its called..like blair witch and clover field. it makes a difference. if the dude in the movie is filming the whole thing..you cant really show the monster that much. maybe they should have made Godzilla like that..

CanookieWookie

It sounds like some of the folks here have never seen the old Godzilla movies.  The new one was fantastic.  It could be the best Godzillla movie ever made.  And sorry, but it is better than Pacific Rim.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?