Do you find hanging show posters to be a worthwhile effort?

Started by bbottom, July 02, 2014, 11:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

We usually hang show flyers up in some choice spots a week or so before a show even though I have my doubts that it really makes a difference.

What do you think?

liquidsmoke

In super choice spots otherwise no. Some kiosk hangers give zero fucks and will cover up bills for shows that haven't happened yet.

Lumpy

It probably depends on your town. I think putting up 5 or 10 flyers (in the window of the venue, at certain record stores etc) is not that difficult, and if you get 5 more people to the show, is it worth it? (I dunno, maybe not) :(  Handing out flyers (half size or quarter size) at other peoples' shows could be worthwhile too.

I don't see any point in putting up hundreds of flyers with wheat paste any more, but there might be some towns where it makes sense.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Danny G

Hanging them in the choice spots, even if it doesn't bring any more bodies to the venue for the advertised show, can still be invaluable in keeping the name out there

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Mr. Foxen

"I've heard that name" is a valuable thing, makes an association in people's minds with the other bands on the bill, even if they are not too aware.

everdrone

for my doomz musicz I anticipate a fanbase turnout of 10 to 20 people and a show every three monthz

no posterz and flierz needed, it doesnt truly depict mah doom aewsomnezz

Jake

Believe it or not, there are Luddites like me who still do not participate in social media (or even have a phone), who really appreciate the analog means of announcing shows--handbills, flyers, etc.
poop.

Danny G

Indeed. Social media is very useful tool. But still doesn't beat boot-on-the-ground person to person interaction and promotion

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Handbills person to person at shows right before your show seems to work.
No Focus Pocus

Cursed71

I love fliers/posters as an art form and have them all over my house.   I have been informed about shows through fliers countless times, and feel they still have a place.

Yo, everdrone.  What's with the z's?  Is this some inside forum stuff I'm missing.  I don't post enough I guess.

everdrone

Cursed71

You crazy kidzzz.  I thought your keypad was brokenz.

Mr. Foxen

Make the flyers roachable. Now I've said it, realise you might not call the rolled up bit of card in the end of a joint a roach in the US.

Cursed71

JemDooM

I definitely think it's worth postering, and also flyering gigs on the run up, I definitely see a difference in the turn outs!

I think everyone is desensitized to Facebook, it's rammed with stuff they are interested in, I have dozens of gigs on my upcoming events list where iv clicked 'going' then miss loads because maybe iv lost focus on the important ones, whereas flyering taps into another part of the brain, it connects with people to back in the day where everything was flyered and the scene was less diluted, it's a physical thing, there's also just something very cool and real about posters, it says to me that it's being done properly and not just by some kid who thinks the world exists on Facebook!
DooM!

mortlock

^agreed. physical flyer is always better than an event page.

bbottom

One of my arguments for continuing to hang posters is simply because of name recognition. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who thought about this

Ombrenuit

For realz guyz

Marketing 101: Know Your Market

Is your market

A) Shut-ins and computer nerds who avoid face to face social interaction OR;
B) People outside who seek face-to-face entertainment / who already patron local music?

If anything I would expect flyering to have much better results.

In a world where there's a million entertainment alternatives competing for people's attention, local music is at the bottom of the list. It costs gas, time, sleep, makes you stand in piss/beer drenched shit holes in crime infested parts of town. It's a big mistake to ignore the people who actually want to be there.

Tl;dr Advertising on social media is about as effective as posting flyers in the university computer lab.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Ombrenuit on July 22, 2014, 12:29:57 PM
Tl;dr Advertising on social media is about as effective as posting flyers in the university computer lab.

Creating Facebook events and inviting everyone you know who might be interested is the norm here and it works quite well. Handing out pocket flyers at shows and posting a few larger ones in choice spots also helps. I'm sure putting flyers up everywhere also helps a little but I don't think it's worth the effort when it's freezing cold and you have to climb up snow banks only to see the next day that your flyer is already covered up.

In the future I want to always put genre descriptions on flyers to reel in the people who aren't familiar with the bands. Most people are too lazy to search for bandcamp links although putting them on the FB event page can help a lot I think.

Lumpy

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 22, 2014, 02:22:40 PM
In the future I want to always put genre descriptions on flyers to reel in the people who aren't familiar with the bands. Most people are too lazy to search for bandcamp links although putting them on the FB event page can help a lot I think.

I think that's a good idea. Also, if a band is from out of town, say that too.

mutantcolors

I've run into issues where, upon delivering a description for a band that doesn't fit a neat little box, people bitch that their (my) music isn't this, that or the other.

People.

Lumpy

I envy the people who can write cool descriptive blurbs: "Slobbery psych skree that scrapes the roof of your skull" -- that kinda shit. I can't seem to do it very well.

everdrone

"Re: Do you find hanging show posters to be a worthwhile effort?"

no.  Ive done it before.  there really are no choice spots to hang em unless it is right at the bar that is frequented by patrons that come weekly.  passing out fliers just before the show has worked much better for me.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on July 22, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
I've run into issues where, upon delivering a description for a band that doesn't fit a neat little box, people bitch that their (my) music isn't this, that or the other.

People.

Asking the band for a description is probably the safest bet.