Main Menu

Guitar Strap Shoulder!

Started by spookstrickland, August 28, 2014, 03:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

Oh man my shoulder hurts, been using a thin strap as of late, big mistake!, not sure if pinched nerves or sore muscle or what but.  I'm going back to a really wide strap and maybe adding some padding.

Anyone have any diy tips on adding padding to a strap such as: material, thickness, construction etc?

thanks

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

everdrone

liquidsmoke

I use a padded bass strap for guitar. My brother bought it in the mid-90s. Probably doesn't look as cool as a thin black leather guitar strap but it is black and leather. I hate thin straps.

Danny G

I like the wider leather straps.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Staring at your fretting hand can cause that kind of fatigue. look away!
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

I have a non leather wide single strap for bass that has like squishy gel rubber stuff in it; looks good enough

I figure since my guitarist abilities are really for 30 minute sets that my normal strap is good enuf

one Austin sludge/hardcore band called S.L.U.G. - the bassist/singer just has a stand and his bass is on that, so it is never on his back ever, like a microphone stand.  he prolly had a back surgery or something necessitating that tho.

Corey Y

I use a big Levy's 4" extra long leather strap. I think it might actually be the only leather item I own. I used to always use the nylon Ernie Ball straps for a very long time, but a few years ago my left shoulder pretty much just gave out. It mostly doesn't bother me since I started using that very wide strap and playing lighter basses though.

RAGER

The strap I use on my 12 pound 78 Les Paul is a cushy one I've had since I was 16.  That's a long fucking time ago.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

I have a big wide strap with a sliding pad like on an old VHS camera bag which weighed a lot for my LP. that guitar needs it.

I could use razor wire for the ultra swede strap heh. 

spookstrickland

Quote from: Corey Y on August 28, 2014, 11:43:44 AM
I use a big Levy's 4" extra long leather strap. I think it might actually be the only leather item I own. I used to always use the nylon Ernie Ball straps for a very long time, but a few years ago my left shoulder pretty much just gave out. It mostly doesn't bother me since I started using that very wide strap and playing lighter basses though.

That's what I was using a nylon Ernie Ball strap, who would have thought that some thing like that could cause so much trouble!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Corey Y

Quote from: spookstrickland on August 28, 2014, 03:03:42 PM
That's what I was using a nylon Ernie Ball strap, who would have thought that some thing like that could cause so much trouble!

It took me a while to switch, just because it was hard to find a strap long enough. I'm only about 6'1", but I have a really long torso, so most regular straps sit about chest height on me. It's not so bad now that I have a lot less gut, but still.

mortlock

I find the 3" strap to be perfect. not too wide, not too narrow..

fallen

Does everyone else do this?

Go to the guitar store, sift through the hundred (literally) straps with barbed wire, "police line do not cross", nickleback crosses, flames, sparkles, tribal, skulls, find the one plain black one, check to see if it's the "extra long" size, buy it, guitar store reorders more plain black XL straps and buries them in the stack of ugly crap no one wants, repeat.

To Levi straps. Do kids actually buy that cheesy stuff?

everdrone

I have an awesome levi grommet guitar strap which is my main gig one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/levys-cotton-grommet-guitar-strap

I dont recommend buying from the Guitar Center selection though; buy online ;)

BastardCthulhu

I bought a memory foam strap pad from Musician's Friend...it does the job, but it slides all over the damn place, so you kinda have to secure it with some fancy black duct tape.

Lumpy

Souldier makes some awesome straps if you wanna spend a little more. On Ebay or on their own website (more selection and customizable options there). Recycled seatbelt material with some really nice fabrics on top (two layers).

Not really on topic but whatever.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

everdrone

ok here is the exact strap I have:   

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-dare-guitar-strap?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CJ_2nOzM88ACFaVZ7AodHloA8w&kwid=productads-plaid^80562583827-sku^360634000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

Its awesome!  I had a two hour jam on bass today with 5 other musicians, and I wish I would have brought it.  I am telling you its only $15 and it has the perfect design in my opinion, as everything is adjustable.  

this strap works for all guitars and basses as I have tried all 6 of mine anyway, and the functionality is just like a regular guitar strap since it does not get in the way of the bassist resting his pick hand on the bass!

Dylan Thomas

This thread is really helpful to me.  I've always had some nerve problems in my shoulder from the pinch of the strap, especially when I was using a Firebird.  That thing was hell on my shoulder and upper back, as awesome as it looked and as sweet as it sounded.

LP's put a lot less pressure on my shoulder, though now that I've had a really serious shoulder injury, I've gotta really look into getting a better strap.  Thanks for all the insights and personal experiences guys and gals, this is really going to help me out.  Can't thank you enough, every post in this thread is really appreciated.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

everdrone

cool brutha.  walter trout is one of my fav blues players and he endorses my strap since he used it when he was injured:  http://www.darestrap.com/wt.html

some other dual straps are available but did not meet my needz, might be worth checking out or considering though:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/slider-straps-dual-shoulder-strap

this gruvgear strap does not work with my thunderbird bass, but it looks killer and I see my favorite bassist/chiropractor endorses it.  I bought his book and Dr. K knows what he is talking about for bassists:

http://www.gruvgear.com/duostrap-neo

liquidsmoke

I'm about ready to drill a bunch of holes in the back of my inexpensive baritone to shave off a pound or two because the thing makes my back hurt in ways I've never experienced before. It's not even mahogany. No shoulder problems, just strange mid/lower back pain.

jibberish

orianthi does sets of 25 pushups because all that guitar playing was crushing her ribcage and she had to do some counter-therapy to revers it

doktor death does sets of toe touches and windmill for lower back strength

liquid is turning into liquid because he does zero exercise. at least focus on therapy for stuff you do that bugs you, like the guitar weight. if you started doing windmills/toe touches or w/e consistently. in 4 weeks you will have new muscle mass and built up endurance to stand as long as you need and stay stout

upright rowing if you have weights.  shoveling dirt or mulch is good for lower back too. snow shoveling

muscle tone is the big secret to this whole thread.

Dylan Thomas

Holy shit I dreamed last night about shopping for guitar straps...

It was like The Twilight Zone yo.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on September 22, 2014, 02:22:33 AM
liquid is turning into liquid because he does zero exercise. at least focus on therapy for stuff you do that bugs you, like the guitar weight. if you started doing windmills/toe touches or w/e consistently. in 4 weeks you will have new muscle mass and built up endurance to stand as long as you need and stay stout

upright rowing if you have weights.  shoveling dirt or mulch is good for lower back too. snow shoveling

I don't do enough exercise for sure. I have to do some lower back stuff just to get through the days without mild pain and feeling weak. What are windmills and w/e?

everdrone

dont forget stretching too!  I bought the book "5 minutes to a pain free life" and do the stretches almost daily :)  better do em nowz before I go to the store

Dr. K's book says if you must do weightlifting, try to avoid the pulling exercises.  of course for lower body you can go all out.  I weightlift one day a week since I am a cubicle desk jockey.  for upper body all I do is bench, military, and reverse pectoral deck.  but I also do yoga and swimming and sometimez Zumba, which gives definitely works my back. 

I am kinda wondering for shoulders if the shoulder extension machine would help strengthen for where my strap goes.  I am thinking just playing more standing up, and not sitting down when playing is best.  I did not have any soreness from the guitar strap three years ago.  hmm...

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on September 22, 2014, 10:34:18 PM
I bought the book "5 minutes to a pain free life"

Will check this out.

edit: do you mean "3 minutes to a pain free life"? It's 320 pages. Is there a pamphlet version?