Main Menu

Compressors

Started by Submarine, September 24, 2014, 07:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Submarine

I know it's blasphemy around here but I'm going to be playing some stuff that requires clean guitar tones.  ;D  I'm looking at compressors and I'm thinking about the Wampler or the Keeley.  Any opinions?

dogfood

Pristak's Keeley Compressor is MONEY!
Problem solving whiskey!

VOLVO)))

I used a soul Preacher. Works for me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

Buy the cheapest one possible. MXR maybe.

You'll either love the effect and will start shopping for a better one or one with a tone control or some other feature...

Or you'll be meh and can give up on compression.

I chased a couple different compressor options for a while but didn't really get along with either of the ones I tried and quickly realized that maybe dynamics are my thing and I should stop wasting my money/time.

Lumpy

ovnilabs.com has a boatload of compressor reviews, mostly geared towards bass players (bass players have special needs, guitar players have more leeway) but there is a special Guitar section with specific info:

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/guitar.shtml

You might wanna poke around there in general, maybe check into his Low Budget picks (DOD Milkbox is one)

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/toppicks.shtml

Pretty much every compressor ever made is reviewd  - remember that a lot of the negatives in his reviews will only apply to bass players.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Submarine

xayk

I love my Milkbox. I wouldn't call it a 'transparent' compressor, but it's tweakable and sounds quite nice.

Submarine

Both the Keeley and Wampler sounded really good.  The Keeley was a bit vibier but the Wampler was a bit more tweakable.  I went with the Wampler.  I don't think you can wrong with either though.

Lumpy

I have a couple of nice ones (Rothwell Lovesqueeze, Okko Coca Comp) but have never found a place for compressors in my setups. I dunno why. Maybe because Mongo not smart.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

don't feel bad, this mongo only knows that you want the oil-free models when you buy a compressor.

VOLVO)))

I guess I've been using my compressor wrong. Mine is set to boost, says on, and adds minimal squeeze when playing bass.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.