Stocking your at-home bar

Started by kokojones, October 13, 2014, 08:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokojones

What essential and favorite liquors do you keep on hand?

I always have a good rye (Bulleit is the standby) and some vermouth (Carpano Antica) in the cupboard.
I like drinks with bitters so I always keep some Angostura and Peychaud's around.  

Besides also keeping Benedictine and Campari around for my favorite cocktails, I've been wondering what else to stock that allows the most flexibility for guests' requests.  The Ms loves her G&Ts so we always have a decent gin and tonic syrup. Vodka seems like a safe bet.  What else should I get?

And what the hell do I do with this Fernet Branca?

RAGER

Try it with your rye in a Toronto.  I recently invented a Fernet drink.  It's a take on Fernet and Coke.  1 shot Fernet, 8oz coke juice of half a lime on ice with a float of cold brew coffee.

As far as what I keep around, Martin Millers gin, a mid grade vodka, 100% agave tequila.  usually have Heering, Pimms, Luxardo, curacao, triple sec. Benedictine.  I need to pick up some Campari, Chartreuse, and some absinthe.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, all that - angostura,orange and some artesinal bitter.

Pastis, Lillet, St Germaine, Disaronno, Drambuie, pomegranate,

Vermouths, sherry, Grand Marnier, kirsch, peach liquor or schnapps, cinnamon liquor or schnapps. Frangelica, Irish cream, Kailua, Chambord.

Southern comfort,  Brandy, Irish bourbon & rye whiskeys, vodka, gin, rums. Port wine. Tequila.

Fruit Juices and sodas, simple syrup, olives and maraschino cherries. Proper glassware. Cocktail shaker.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

black

Don't forget to keep some garnishes around.
Maraschino Cherries, Pearl Onions, Olives (black and green), Margarita Salt, Sugar Syrup, Tabasco Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, bitters.
Fresh stuff like celery, whole limes and lemons as needed.
Fruitier fruit for tropical and girly drinks (bananas, pineapple, strawberries..things of that nature)

You need mixers handy;
Cola, 7-Up/Sprite, Coconut Water, Club Soda, and juices like Apple, Cranberry,Grapefruit, Orange, Pineapple, Tomato

Don't forget to have straws/swizzle sticks on hand.

I like keeping a well stocked bar at home and have pretty much all the major liquors, both Top Shelf (for sipping/shots/fancy occasions) and the less expensive stuff for most cocktails and when my degenerate, alcoholic pals come by. Don't need those cats slurping up all my nice stuff for their daily buzz. Heavy on the Vodka and Gin collection and a fair amount of Whisky, Bourbon and Some Rye. Both light and Dark Rum is a necessity as well.  I also have a fairly large collection of most of the popular liqueurs (always Jagermeister for the Rock-And-Roll lifestyle) and some homemade brandy (gifted by the owner of a local, old school steakhouse and lounge) and a couple of jars of White Lightning from the hills and stills of Central Kentucky.
I also have a small refrigerator dedicated to beer. Both craft and Miller High Life.

Proper glassware and some "grown-up" shot glasses (as well as the novelty/tourist ones) are not only necessary, but will make your's and your guests drinking experience that more cool.

I've always strived to maintain a proper, well stocked home bar, despite I didn't even drink for many, many years. I think it comes from my boozy parents and grandparents, a sense of hospitality and sneaking peeks at my Dad's Playboy magazines in the 1960's and '70's.

C'mon by and have a drink or two.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

MadJohnShaft

You buy one at a time over many years since it is so expensive. My liquor store sometimes plays heavy metal. Why is chartuese $62? Can I repeat I am in love with St Germaine.

You should have a few fancy expensive scotches - you need two.  Mine just sit there in the very back looking stately in their boxes.

And some wine. You can get one of these wine fridges from your relatives and friends for free. They keep them empty in their garage and they will give it to you if you ask.

khoomeizhi

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 14, 2014, 05:04:57 PM
You should have a few fancy expensive scotches - you need two.  Mine just sit there in the very back looking stately in their boxes.

and one of the two had better be from a smaller island.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

MadJohnShaft

MadJohnShaft

If you have some dudes over you need a bottle of whiskey to burn through,

so they don't drink all your stuff.

black

Quote from: Jor el on October 14, 2014, 04:50:51 PM

That's a big shopping list.

Like MJS said, build it up over time.
Being gainfully employed helps as well.

I've relied on gift giving occasions, bars that can only pay so much and then secretly offer a trade, discount liquor stores, coupons and specials. I have also preformed weddings and have been paid in fancy scotch and other booze, as well as hanging around until the end of the event and being offered stuff the caterers left behind. Drunk newlyweds are full of booze and love and optimism and are fairly generous with the giveaway.

I've also known a couple alcoholics who decided to give up drinking and offered up what they had laying around for free.

RAGER

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 14, 2014, 05:18:33 PM

On Sunday Heather "The Heat" the bartender at my watering hole made a me a gin cocktail of some sort with an egg white foam infused with smokey Laphroaig, Delish.
No Focus Pocus

Volume

My whisky chest + some rum. I also have a cupboard full of other spirits and stuff not to mention wine and beer. It's pretty ridiculous as I don't drink that much, but I get it cheep from work so I just keep on getting more stuff.  :)

MadJohnShaft

Do you want our shipping or mailing addresses?

black

I will indeed offer mine!

That's an impressive collection, Volume.
Do you work in the industry or have a connection with Mob-based liquor truck hijackers?

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Back in the day one of my sisters worked for the Greek mob liquoristas in Portland.  Used to get some free booze time to time.
No Focus Pocus

black

Your sister worked for George/was a waitress at the Satyricon?

RAGER

No.  Maletis.  Whenever I could talk my sisters into coming to see me play at Satyricon they were always scared.  For good reason.
No Focus Pocus

Volume

I work on a cruise ship/ferry and we can buy stuff from the tax-free shop at a discount. If anyone's in the neighbourhood give me a heads up and we'll have a tasting.

RAGER

Had some of this last night.  Gotta get some for home.

I usually pick up a bottle of Rumpleminze around the same time I put the studs on the car.  Gettin bout that time.
No Focus Pocus

peoplething

I wish I had the self control to have a fully stocked bar.

But, if it's in the hoose, it get's drunked.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

RacerX

Quote from: peoplething on October 16, 2014, 11:58:06 AM
I wish I had the self control to have a fully stocked bar.

But, if it's in the hoose, it get's drunked.

Livin' The Life.

NCR600

Quote from: Volume on October 15, 2014, 07:13:07 AM
My whisky chest + some rum. I also have a cupboard full of other spirits and stuff not to mention wine and beer. It's pretty ridiculous as I don't drink that much, but I get it cheep from work so I just keep on getting more stuff.  :)

Bloody Hell!