current favorite guitar player and the song/solo that makes it so... and why.

Started by Beta Cloud, December 16, 2014, 04:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beta Cloud

for me it's Eddie Clarke from Motorhead.
his playing on 'Live to Win' from 'Ace of Spades' is nothing short of brilliant.
his riffs are brutal and driving, way more classic punk sounding than most NWOHM bands of the era.
but his solos are more Chuck Berry than Chuck Berry. fucker nails it on the 2nd solo here.

so what are your current faves, fellow stoner guitar players?

why does it hurt when i pee?

The Shocker

Are you saying what guitarist you are currently digging or a current guitarist?

black

So many that I dig, but one of the first to really catch my attention as a youth was John McLaughlin when this album first came out.

(this was the song)

Many have been added to my list since all those decades ago and some of them even post here!
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

The Riffer

For about a year, its been Schenker. Ive always liked his playing, but lately its got me in awe.
I could give multiple  instances, alot of songs everyone knows... but here is a bit lesser known song in which the leads are incredible.

Fan boy, yeah a little.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Beta Cloud

Quote from: The Shocker on December 16, 2014, 07:18:33 AM
Are you saying what guitarist you are currently digging or a current guitarist?
guitarist i'm currently digging.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: The Riffer on December 16, 2014, 02:23:42 PM
For about a year, its been Schenker. Ive always liked his playing, but lately its got me in awe.
I could give multiple  instances, alot of songs everyone knows... but here is a bit lesser known song in which the leads are incredible.

Fan boy, yeah a little.

mighty fine choice my man, mighty fine.

mortlock

current and long time fav is larry Coryell. heaviest jazz guitar player out there. love his use of fuzz and noise.. cant pick a favorite album, but the live stuff is always great.. 

Dave J

I probably have many. Off the top of my head:

Iommi -- I have been spending a lot of time lately working out some of his solos. One of my favorite Iommi solos is in Planet Caravan.

Isaiah Mitchell -- They guy from Earthless.  I think he is crazy fucking good.

Stefan Koglek -- Colour Haze.  Check out the solos in Z.E.N.  Great tone, versatile, and just jamming.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Beta Cloud

Quote from: mortlock on December 16, 2014, 07:38:00 PM
current and long time fav is larry Coryell. heaviest jazz guitar player out there. love his use of fuzz and noise.. cant pick a favorite album, but the live stuff is always great.. 

his 'Planet End' with Billy Cobham was divine!

Beta Cloud

lordfinesse

At the moment, I'm gonna go with Mark Knopfler, mainly because of this playing on "Tunnel of Love" from the Making Movies album. Dude is just very tasteful, and what he plays just feels like dead on what should be there.

Also, +1 for Schenker. UFO rules.
Billy Squier 24/7

The Shocker

black

Quote from: Beta Cloud on December 17, 2014, 12:38:14 AM
Quote from: mortlock on December 16, 2014, 07:38:00 PM

his 'Planet End' with Billy Cobham was divine!

Indeed.
(all the way around)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

jibberish

i'm trying to figure out what motley krue was doing currently. esp in that song girls, girls, girls

in general carlos Santana rules the world because he doesn't keep doing the same thing over and over. he is the most musical guitar player maybe of ever

eyeprod

that is a weird answer, jib. I don't know what to make of that one.

I am really digging Daniel Fichelscher who played with Popol Vuh and I guess briefly with Amon Duul 2. Check out this in interesting vid of him talking about it... and hear some playing below that. I have been reviewing this stuff recently and these discs are a huge favorite of mine after many years.

CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

heh, ok Santana is current fav. I am checkiong out his interaction with keyboard player too. so...soul survivor, then songs from caravanserai and finally checking out some of how he went back to the roots with supernatural.

but current solo/guitar piece is girls girls girls by motley krue. they have a badass guitar sound and those big hair guys end their solos better than anyone else. hooks are perfect. all of it makes some of the best solos rock has ever seen, so i'm studying why. but I have no specific admiration for the guitar player.

da_qtip

Quote from: Dave J on December 16, 2014, 09:30:47 PMIsaiah Mitchell -- They guy from Earthless.  I think he is crazy fucking good.

This guy is my top player. He's so fucking good.

I just found these videos of him jamming with Juan Alderete a few days ago

Makes me want to buy a strat and a really nice delay.

Beta Cloud

Andrew Blakk

Right now I must say Fast Eddie, Angus, Page and Brian May. I tend to always to come back to them.

RAGER

Many of my favorites already mentioned like M.S., Angus, Brian May, and John Mclaughlin.  It'll be a heavy UFO, MSG day with some Jack Johnson Sessions and super early Queen thrown in.  Little smidges of Tommy Bolin, Budgie and Kosoff to round things out nicely.

Been listening to this guy a bit latley.  Ever heard of him?  Oz Noy.

No Focus Pocus

showdown

Arve "Ice Dale" Isdal from Enslaved/Audrey Horne is a great, tasteful player. Check out 4:38 - 6:44.

johnny problem

Edgar Froese - Green Desert (tangerine dream)

That guitar has such great tone, such punch in the face, yet so chill.  Great note selection too.

jibberish

heh, this is easier to listen to: the karaoke version of girls girls girls.

http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=459884

fwiw, Santana knows more sets of notes on the guitar than anyone else and never has to keep doing the same thing over and over unless he means to.
maybe I would call him more musical than most others.

when that dire straits came out in like 79ish, I was blown away by that band's style and that clean guitar sound.  I really like down by the waterline too. and the vocals are perfect.
that's a perfect band, yeah. at the time. them and supertramp were the uber-pro radio rock offerings. although prince was tearing it up right around then too.

that was a cool time for music. 78-80. Mannheim steamroller just got started, heh, earl klugh looked like a jr high school kid. the wall happened. that's when we started playing ride of the Valkyries and that helicopter sound from the wall album at the same time on 2 stereos and pretended we were in nam scaring the hell out of the natives and loving the smell of napalm in the morning

angus really tears it up on I think it was "she got the jack"

BUT, until you watch the ~2003ish japan tour by king crimson, you haven't seen 2 , well 4, but I'm talking guitar players, of thee most pro musicians ever in a group. return to forever level shit. supergroup bar none. You are missing out bigtime.  I just marvel at how they do that. pro as fuck, that's how. Fripp, another of my 4 guitar god heroes.
Adrian belew, the strat master is very cool too. everyone needs to watch him craft his magic too. he is married to laurie Anderson , whaddayawant?  I bet they get some insane music jams going, those two minds.

frippertronics ftw too.

but I am focusing on Santana still basically, with little side distractions like that girls3x
or treetop flyer, now that I see you use some kind of fucking banjo tuning for that. (not quite heh, drop both e's)