Main Menu

Guitar speakers

Started by Submarine, January 16, 2015, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Submarine

There was a very good thread back in Feb 2012 about speakers.  Well it's been nearly 3 years.  Have you changed your opinions?  Anything new that has grabbed your attention?

I'm playing thru a 50watt Jcm 800 with a Marshall cab loaded with 25watt Greenbacks.  It's a classic sound but I am beginning to suspect that those speakers might be breaking up a bit more than I'd like them to.  I'm considering moving to a higher wattage speaker. 

The Riffer

I love the greenbacks for home usage. My go to cabs @ home.
For band applications, Ive become very fond of the WGS reaper/reaper 55s. Similar (not same) voice, but bigger and maybe a bit of gravelly throat going on. And cant beat the price.
As I start to use my Orange for band stuff, I am going to attempt to leave the v30s in the cabs, but I anticipate installing WGS in the top cab at least.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

RacerX

Same here re: the 25 watt Greenbacks: I have one in my 1x12 cabinet, but I only use a 5-watt amp to push it. It's great for classic rock, blues-rock & blues, but not great for the heavier stuff.

For that, I prefer a mix of Celestion V30s & G12H30s. If I had to pick just one of those, I'd go with the G12H30s because of the THICK bass voicing.
Livin' The Life.

The Riffer

Exactly^

Reapers are in fact g12h clones.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Submarine

Jake

For those of you who love a greenback (I for sure do), but need more power and thud, I highly recommend the Eminence Private Jack. Love those.

Also a big fan of the G12H30 and the WGS Reaper 55s. Although the 55s are voiced in a way that it's prolly best to pair them with something with more sizzle.

A friend just loaded up a cab with a quad of the WGS version of the V30, and says they're great for the heavy. WGS apparently were able to tame the infamous upper mid spike. I haven't heard them in person though.
poop.

The Riffer

Quote from: Jake on January 17, 2015, 08:49:03 AM

Also a big fan of the G12H30 and the WGS Reaper 55s. Although the 55s are voiced in a way that it's prolly best to pair them with something with more sizzle.

Agreed, I like the Reaper/Reaper 55s x'd.

I'm going to talk with the guys from WGS next weekend, if there are any questions or thoughts from anyone, Id be happy to ask, or pass on ideas.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

Mr. Foxen

Isn't the wattage that determines the breakup, wattage is thermal failure point. With guitar speakers, specs are pretty unhelpful as to how easy the speaker is to break up, and how it sounds when it does. Could attach a coil with much higher power handling (better glue, thicker wire) and it would still break up the same is the coil had the same motor properties.

X-max is a sort of guide, as it is the clean excursion rating, but for most guitar speakers it is zero as the are breaking up right away, just how pleasing that breakup is that changes.

TannisRoot

I have a 412 cab of 25W greenbacks. That said, I have no idea what speaker breakup is supposed to sound like. With a cranked 50W, the speakers start to fart out at a certain point. It doesn't sound good to my ears. If that's what speaker distortion is supposed to be, I wouldn't say it's a desirable characteristic... ::)

Just my 2 pence.

Danny G

I haven't done a whole lot of taste-testing, but I like V30s and their Eminence equivalents.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

spookstrickland

Speaking of speakers.  I remember a while back I think it was Jake talking about old Crate cabs that had good celestion speakers in them.  What model was that cab?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Jake

I don't think that was be because I'm not so sure I share that sentiment. BEST case scenario I can think of would be a Crate having Celestion GT-75. I think those are ok, but those aren't really everyone's bag.
poop.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Jake on February 28, 2015, 12:53:35 PM
I don't think that was be because I'm not so sure I share that sentiment. BEST case scenario I can think of would be a Crate having Celestion GT-75. I think those are ok, but those aren't really everyone's bag.

If I remember right I though it was you but my memory is foggy, that someone would by old cheap crate cabs pull the celestions and sell them.  I'm wondering because I got several cabs that could use a decent 12" and I'd like to save some money.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

Quote from: spookstrickland on February 28, 2015, 03:40:04 PM

If I remember right I though it was you but my memory is foggy, that someone would by old cheap crate cabs pull the celestions and sell them.  I'm wondering because I got several cabs that could use a decent 12" and I'd like to save some money.

Try Warehouse Guitar Speakers, what other people have been recommending for less expensive speakers (WGS)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Danny G on February 27, 2015, 01:08:26 PM
I haven't done a whole lot of taste-testing, but I like V30s and their Eminence equivalents.

I use the Eminence equivalents in my cab.

I'm upgrading to a new cab soon, my old Ampeg has seen better days.  I've been doing research on what speakers to load it with, so this thread is very timely.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Lumpy on February 28, 2015, 03:59:30 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on February 28, 2015, 03:40:04 PM

Try Warehouse Guitar Speakers, what other people have been recommending for less expensive speakers (WGS)

Cool I'll check them out.

Thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Instant Dan

To answer the OP's original question, Master volume Marshalls were actually made to be used with speakers such as the Celestion G12H-65 65 and G12M-70 watt speaker. If I ever get another 4x12 down the road, I will probably get a cab loaded with either of those speakers.

It explains for me why I always got an insanely peaky sound out of my 4x12 loaded with V30's and G12H-30's. It sounded great with an Orange but with my Marshall, it damn near ripped my head off.

VOLVO)))

So... That Marshall... Can i get it?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

CID Vicious

Not a particular fan of farty speakers myself.

I've been thinking of loading a freebie GK 212 bass cab with  some Emi Delta. 12As. Basically a version of the EV 12.

I have an AOR 100 head. I love running all my pedals occasionally for show ending sonic chaos/Satan evocation. I don't want to blow speakers doing it at near or full volume.

I do Doom, Thrash, etc, so a tighter bass response is good for me.

Plus, also play bass so having one cab to rule them all is a win for me.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

Danny G

Yes, this thread is indeed timely as at some point in the near future I'd like to bring my second Marshall 4x12 back into service but do not like the G-75s within in.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Baltar

I'm about to pull the trigger on some WGS G12Q's. I have an empty Epiphone 4x12 cab I got for $65.

https://wgs4.com/12-g12q-20-watts

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Submarine

Quote from: Baltar on April 23, 2015, 07:55:10 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on some WGS G12Q's. I have an empty Epiphone 4x12 cab I got for $65.

post an update when you got them up and running.

Baltar

Ka-pow.

BREAK NORTH FOOZ! I'm ordering some wheat grill-cloth this week, not sure if I'll keep the Epiphone logo or not. If anyone wants/needs it, it's free and I can ship from inside the U.S. or Canada to avoid c u s t o m s bullshit.

$49/piece U.S. X 4 = $220 U.S. shipped from Kentucky to Mich ground 3-4 days

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.