Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Started by black aspirin, April 06, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

Anyone catch this documentary on HBO?  Having read a ton of material and watched a lot of documentaries and real-world events (like the 70's Clearwater Hearings) about the cult, I can tell you this is a top-notch documentary.  Of course, there are things that did not get covered, but it's a 2-hour documentary.  To do a full expose', you would need hundreds of hours.

Check it out, though.
This Juan goes to 11.

retardgroove

It was ok, all stuff everyone pretty much knew. Same with the first part of that Sinatra thing last night. The Sinatra one tonight will hopefully get better cause it's going to move into his Reprise Records years (better songs), but still nothing new or shocking. It's going to be hard for HBO to top their Robert Durst series.

The Shocker

I thought Going Clear was interesting, but both superficial and kind of draggy/boring.

black aspirin

I thought it picked up steam as it went along, and the latter half was really, really good.  The personal stories of high-level defectors were particularly damning.  Would love to see the organization crumble, starting with the IRS revoking tax-exempt status (which will probably never happen, but we can dream).

I think Jason Beghe is on drugs.  He kept fidgeting and scratching, but he was also really funny.
This Juan goes to 11.

The Shocker

black aspirin

This Juan goes to 11.

Token

Spanky escaping - musical chairs - ol lday who got disconnected from her daughter - briefcase fullbof secrets and bullshit.

ez

Good documentary. Nothing really new if you've delved into Scientology stuff on the internets, but it's a very good thing to make more people aware of the shit they are pulling.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?