Main Menu

new neck vs new guitar

Started by liquidsmoke, July 23, 2015, 01:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Love my Epiphone SC-350 Scroll... aside from that the neck(bolt on) is twisted and warped and the tuners are complete shit. I've had the twist lessened by a neck guy and the frets somewhat leveled by a luthier but it's still too fucked, fret buzz city even with thick strings unless the action is high.

Thoughts? Most necks available seem to be made for strats.

Submarine

Warmoth and Mighty Mite can do Gibson type necks.

VOLVO)))

Measure the heel, pretty sure long as you get one big enough, it can be shared and shaped to fit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Submarine on July 23, 2015, 08:37:47 AM
Warmoth and Mighty Mite can do Gibson type necks.

Excellent!

Quote from: VOLVO))) on July 23, 2015, 08:42:02 AM
Measure the heel, pretty sure long as you get one big enough, it can be shared and shaped to fit.

Sounds good. Will measure after I'm done tracking this new song.

Danny G

I've always wonder if re: my P-Basses if a new neck would be cheaper than a re-fret. Both have some major fret wear from years of gigging using steel strings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Pissy

smoke, you could try this guy and report your findings.  I think it was $75 to straighten a neck with his black magic heat and pressure trick (plus shipping, there and back).  But he also tried to talk me into sending the whole thing in for a setup in conjunction with the warp fix.  I have a G&L that twists- he thought that was rather odd.  I never did it.  I feel I should though.  The truss rod nut is poking through the fretboard.  Bad scene.

www.warpedneck.com
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

to me it would depend on how much you love the body. sound, sentimental value etc..

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Pissy on July 23, 2015, 08:40:25 PM
smoke, you could try this guy and report your findings.  I think it was $75 to straighten a neck with his black magic heat and pressure trick (plus shipping, there and back).  But he also tried to talk me into sending the whole thing in for a setup in conjunction with the warp fix.  I have a G&L that twists- he thought that was rather odd.  I never did it.  I feel I should though.  The truss rod nut is poking through the fretboard.  Bad scene.

www.warpedneck.com

That's who partially untwisted my neck. Talked to him on the phone even. I'm pretty convinced that he did what he could. This was a couple years back. Most of the fret buzz I'm getting is from one area of the neck and I don't think it's fixable. Got this guitar on ebay and didn't return it to the seller because I didn't pay that much for it and I thought it was the coolest guitar the minute I got my hands on it. I also didn't fully understand how fucked up the neck was at that time. It won't be as great without the stock neck and at the same time it will be more playable. I'm going to set up one of my backups proper in A and probably play that for awhile and see how my finances are looking regarding a new neck. This guitar isn't the one I use for my current live band.

everdrone

I say save up and get a new guitar and new digs on your old one :)

jibberish

just IMO, but that scroll seems like a lemon.  I would retire it but wouldn't necessarily sell it kneejerk style.
I think I would put it away in the closet, but for sure: no more throwing good money after bad...

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on July 30, 2015, 11:06:58 PM
I say save up and get a new guitar and new digs on your old one :)

It would be nice to have ONE high quality guitar...

Quote from: jibberish on July 31, 2015, 06:29:05 AM
just IMO, but that scroll seems like a lemon.  I would retire it but wouldn't necessarily sell it kneejerk style.
I think I would put it away in the closet, but for sure: no more throwing good money after bad...

The neck is fucked. A nice new properly fit one would be just the ticket.