Valkyrie: Shadows

Started by RalphSnart_2, July 26, 2015, 09:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RalphSnart_2

No topic about this? Picked it up yesterday even though it wasn't on my list. At first listen, "Wintry Plains" was the track that grabbed me the most. Also the heaviest, although that was never what I liked about this band.

Didn't knock my socks off, but I found their previous albums to be growers. Did inspire me to put on my Valkyrie shirt I got when I saw them years ago.

The Relapse card that came with the cd said that it was for fans of Torche (among others)...while I am a big fan of Torche, they don't sound a whole lot alike.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: RalphSnart_2 on July 26, 2015, 09:35:39 AM
No topic about this? Picked it up yesterday even though it wasn't on my list. At first listen, "Wintry Plains" was the track that grabbed me the most. Also the heaviest, although that was never what I liked about this band.

Didn't knock my socks off, but I found their previous albums to be growers. Did inspire me to put on my Valkyrie shirt I got when I saw them years ago.

The Relapse card that came with the cd said that it was for fans of Torche (among others)...while I am a big fan of Torche, they don't sound a whole lot alike.

I like it the best of their albums.  The guitars really shine through, the production does a great job with them.  Lots of cool tones and effects on the solos, and they blend the leads together so seamlessly.

PR people love to name drop Torche because they're catchy.  I remember the Black Pyramid PR writing "for fans of Torche" into our press releases, and I was like, "Huh?"  He was just like, "Trust me, they're catchy, that's how it's done."

Okay duder....
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

RalphSnart_2

Man Of Two Visions stayed in my cd player for a long time. This one might sound better in the car. I'm all about context.