Clip-on Tuners. Have you used one? Which do you like/want?

Started by jibberish, December 10, 2015, 03:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

I am attempting to sort through this post-snark tuner explosion.

that $50 TC looks nice, but so do a dozen others all in the $10-$30 range.

I was even thinking of getting a couple of different ones, starting with an old snark model for <$10 and some of the super-bright ones.

johnny problem

I use a Fender FT-004.  It was cheap, like $20.  I only use it for acoustic, though.  Has options for bass, violin, and ukele.

mortlock

i have a snark, paid $12 for it. best 12 bucks i ever spent. its like magic.

everdrone

Im about to buy one too, the TC reviews look good but the price of the other looks good

I dont like my TC tuner on my pedalboard as it does not tune all 5 strings at once or work at all for that, but I hear they made improvements

it does not like tuning my bass either or low E string

fallen

The TC clip is equally as good as the Polytune 2 mini which is a big accomplishment for a clip on tuner. It does cost nearly as much as some budget pedal tuners though.

neighbor664

I've got a couple $5 generic ones from ebay. They do what they are supposed to do. When the batteries ever die, I imagine I'd be better off just buying a new one instead of  changing 'em.
A bit off topic, but do any of the old folks ever remember tuning to the dialtone from their landline phone?

jibberish

Quote from: neighbor664 on December 11, 2015, 12:06:43 AM
A bit off topic, but do any of the old folks ever remember tuning to the dialtone from their landline phone?

I had no idea. pretty clever.  I had a tuning reed thingie and the rich kids had tuning forks lol.

giantchris

I have a snark worked great but I keep losing it and re-finding it months later so I don't end up using it much.  I rarely play acoustic nowadays though. 

everdrone

cool that TC clip sounds good then! I have the TC polytune first generation and it definetely does not polytune at all really.

fallen

Yeah that Polytune feature doesn't really work to tune off of. It's good though if you treat it as a time saver. Strum the Polytune to find the out of tune string and then just tune that instead of checking all of them one by one. The single string tuning is great and the v2 pedals are way brighter. Than a pitch black or similar. Still it sucks to look back and realize how much I've spent on tuners over the years - by adding up patch cables would be even worse.

everdrone

good call man, the polytune first version that I have does not work for that but that makes sense :)