Jor el

Don't do much for me.
   I must be eating them wrong.

What Would Scooby Do ?

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

Lumpy

Try them for breakfast.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

Jor el

That right there may be the answer.

What Would Scooby Do ?

mortlock

when i lived in az, this older lady from mexico i worked with took a liking to me and she would give me a big plate of homemade tamales at christmas time every year. it immediately became my favorite tradition. loved it.

MadJohnShaft

All the Latin food countries have their own version of tamales. I like them a lot and since wifey can't eat wheat she gets them constantly.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

khoomeizhi

Quote from: mortlock on December 28, 2015, 11:30:07 PM
when i lived in az, this older lady from mexico i worked with took a liking to me and she would give me a big plate of homemade tamales at christmas time every year. it immediately became my favorite tradition. loved it.

i think the best ones are made by older ladies, as a rule.

Pissy

Isn't there a large swath of the Mississippi River valley where Tamales are a traditional food?

I haven't had a good one yet myself, and if I recall to do them yourself is labor intensive and ultimately not rewarding considering the work.

Seems like to do them right you need bonafide lard and prepped corn husks.

Been a while since I looked into it.
Vinyls.   deal.

khoomeizhi

but, like, american traditional, not like they're from there or anything, right? tamal is a thousands-year old aztec word, far as i can figure.

Lumpy

Go where the Mexicans are.

mortlock

trump is building a wall.

Pissy

Why does he hate my freedom to devour tamales?
Vinyls.   deal.

Lumpy

There's a lady who stands outside the subway entrance in my neighborhood in the early mornings (sometimes she's a man). Two kinds of tamales (red beef and green chicken) and I think it's called atolé (hot drink, sweet and thick). Everything is a dollar each. For 3 or 4 bucks, you've got a nice breakfast. I'm not usually up that early though.

stooge

you was eating the wrong stuff obviously
try those
at least as good as beef a roni
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

socket

Had some good shit in ABQ for breakfast and otherwise. Didn't know what I was missing. Need moar.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

jimjom

I'm more partial to Hot Tamales the type/variety of candy instead of legitimate tamales. I think they're similar foods though.
I'm Red Jr.  Who are you?

mortlock

im gonna be in AZ in november. ill get some and report back.

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

mortlock

the real deal. the good shit. the ones in corn husk wrap. thats tha candy right there. that and the green sauce.

jimjom

Quote from: socket on August 13, 2018, 11:58:03 PM
The candy kind?

I get them before a movie then sneak them in my underpants so those fucking gouging bastards at the movies can eat shit
I'm Red Jr.  Who are you?

nyarlathotep

If you live in an area with a decent-sized Hispanic population you can make your own pretty easily - they're damn cheap and good lunch options. Buy refrigerated containers of masa (pretty much ground corn + oil) and about a bajillion corn husks for a few bucks, make your fillings, wrap them, steam them, and you're good. The hard part is getting good at spreading the masa and putting in the right amount of filling. I actually use my Instant Pot to steam them, which makes it faster but it can't hold as many as a true tamale steamer pot.

Best eaten with sour cream and extra salsa on top - or go balls to the wall and put that fucker in some chili.

Lumpy

I think there's lard mixed in the masa.

nyarlathotep

Whoops - that's right. Haven't tried making it myself yet, just buy tubs of it.

Lumpy

I'm a lard making machine. Never tried tamales. There's a place in Chicago with vegan ones. Factoids!