Main Menu

Home Recording - plug ins

Started by black aspirin, January 03, 2016, 10:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

Figured it would be cool to have a thread about great plug-ins for home recording, particularly the free ones.

Just picked up Softube Saturation Knob.  One knob, and a switch for keep high, neutral or keep low.  Does exactly what it says.  FREE.

http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob
This Juan goes to 11.

everdrone

my go-tos are recabinet, ozone5, voxango voxformer, ezmix, toontrack superior 2.0, and reaper

Submarine

Bomb Factory BF76 - it may be an old plugin but it's still awesome.  Especially on overheads.
Kush Audio UBK-1 -  my secret weapon.
Valhalla Vintage Verb - inexpensive but excellent reverb

black aspirin

This Juan goes to 11.

Submarine

Quote from: everdrone on January 03, 2016, 11:39:35 PM
my go-tos are recabinet, ozone5, voxango voxformer, ezmix, toontrack superior 2.0, and reaper

Ozone 5 is excellent. 

everdrone

Quote from: Submarine on January 05, 2016, 12:17:08 PM
Quote from: everdrone on January 03, 2016, 11:39:35 PM

Ozone 5 is excellent. 

rock on brutha! good to hear a pro digs a bit of my recording shiz, corksniffers usually scoff at my tool for my version of 'mastering'

Lumpy

I have Ozone 4, it's a decent tool but the documentation or whatever is a bit weak (they don't actually teach you about mastering, which is kind of important...). I find that I'm only using a couple of modules (loudness and compression), the other modules don't seem to improve the sound (my tracks are usually live to Zoom, with no real mixing).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

chille01

I'm a big fan of SPL Transient Designer - not free by any stretch, but very useful.  Between this and some properly applied compression, I've made drum tracks that sounded like wet pizza boxes sound... well... better than that.

Corey Y

My favorite free plug-ins are just all the stock Logic ones. Their compressors, stereo spread and Space Designer (IR/Convolution Reverb) are all great. My go to paid plug-ins are Metric Halo Channel Strip and the Devil-Loc and Radiator for character. I use the latter two pretty sparingly. Usually a touch of the Devil-Loc on the drum buss and maybe bass to give them some low end punch and crunch and the Radiator on guitars or sometimes vocals, to sweeten up the high end or give it a little edge.

black aspirin

Looked up the Devil-Loc, I'll have to pick that up eventually...after buying Logic Pro X and the Voxengo Elephant plug-in, I don't need to spend any more dough right now.

I agree on the stock Logic plugs, they're pretty damn good.  I tend to just use the presets on the compressors, there are a lot to choose from.  Great for me until I learn more about what I'm doing.

Another pretty useful plug, but not free...is the MaxxBass plug by Waves.
This Juan goes to 11.