Tube rectifier vs. solid state rectifier.

Started by kirky, February 06, 2016, 01:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

Does it make a difference in sound? Which do you prefer?

jibberish

I probably shouldn't say anything because I neither have heard a comparison nor read details from a player's perspective.

But, in general, rectification is the attempt to provide DC from AC.   

One does have to assume that components and circuitry designed for DC power would like pure DC from something really clean like a battery the best.
Using this single criterion, modern SS is really good vs tube tech.

However, in the mystical voodoo world of what things actually sound like when actually playing, it is well within reason to assume a certain amount of garbage in the DC that maybe would ONLY come from an ABCxxx in a "hop-toad configuration" wtf...makes crazy awesome overtones or something from some unanticipated interrelation between parts of the circuit and that particular garbage, just as some fabricated example.

but I wouldn't bet money against that kind of shit being real in some ways.

************************************************************************************************

I wonder if the next generation generator jam desert fests maybe will all be under tents,
special tents, completely covered in lightweight, flexible solar panels...

heh, if I lived out west, I would rig a couple 10'x10' party canopy deals with panels, or whatever it took to run my stuff.
ironically, you would have to chop your beautiful dc into AC for the amps haha(yup, just to rectify it BACK to dc.)  double haha

Dave J

Quote from: kirky on February 06, 2016, 01:47:19 AM
Does it make a difference in sound? Which do you prefer?

I borrowed a friend's 50 watt amp head that had a rectifier you could switch out between solid state and tube. I could tell the difference in the sound, but I can't really say which sounds "best" (which is mostly subjective anyway). I would probably need more time comparing the sounds, and I don't have it any more. I think I liked the tube better. The solid state was tighter and had more definition in the notes, however.

I'm no expert when it comes to amps so that's just my 2 cents.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

bbottom

I prefer a solid state rec because it gives it a tighter sound. But it's subjective and it depends on what kind of music you're playing

Mr. Foxen

Can make a solid state rectifier take a shit on your headroom just like a valve rectifier by adding a beefy resistor. But its hard to make a valve rectifier do a good job of rectifying like a solid state one does. Basically, valve rectifier fails to provide voltage when demands are made of it by being loud and the voltage drops, puts more distortion and compression at the attack part of notes, then it fails and cooks off your transformer.