Full Stacks going at Band Practice? How is the mix?

Started by everdrone, February 29, 2016, 04:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Curious to hear how the in-ears work for you.

Everyone I know who's used them swears by them.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Submarine

The trick to in-ears (IEM's) is to have ambient mics picking up the audience and ambient reflections in the room.  Generally speaking, its 2 mics stage left and right facing the audience.  When you have IEMs on, its a bit disconcerting at first since you become very removed from the room and stage like you would expect wearing any closed headphone or earbuds.  Additionally you are hearing the "board mix" not the final result in the room.  When room mics are added to the IEM mix, it feels more natural and the instruments have some context.

everdrone

Quote from: Danny G on March 02, 2016, 11:07:13 AM
Curious to hear how the in-ears work for you.

Everyone I know who's used them swears by them.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk

I just biamped and plugged earbud-earplugs (like plugfones you can buy on amazon) into the Orange Micro Terror and put the gunshot earmuffs on last night.

micro terror headphone setup is not the best tone in the world but I might experiment by plugging my tech 21 oxford pedal into it.  the micro terror will serve as a backup in a pinch at gigs since I use a 50 watt Orange thudnervverb, Im thinking of putting it on the top of my stack and hiding my tv50 head so it looks like the shrunken head stack!

Sounds amazing!  I still cant hear my 212 rig, but it does not matter. band just has me turn up/down and make tone adjustments, dont matter to me cause I cant hear it.

band lowered volumes a lot too, so my ears like it.  the mix for me is amazing!  I can be as loud or quiet as I want, and my sound mix is never compromised by others turning up/down their volume.  Its like taking the blue pill in the movie The Matrix!  truly amazing, its making me a better musician.  and the volumes I hear are really low, so my ears thank me as they are really sensitive; I hear really good but they get stuffed up if I listen to tons of bass frequencies in a small enclosed room due to the pressurization of the air movement.  of course the mix is a lot better too, cause ears get fatigued after a certain amount of 115dbA exposure, and being right next to the drumset you wanna roll off those high frequencies from the cymbals any way you can to hear the guitars/basses, so ya the mix for me is amazing.

RacerX

In-ears are the wave of the future!

That said, I will continue practicing and playing at a reasonable level/mix as described by DannyG.

In the practice space, the PA itself is my monitor. I can hear everyone just fine.

In live situations, we use the same exact settings & let the PA do the rest. I tell em to put nothing but vocals in the wedges. I can hear everyone just fine.

ymmv, but, I'm not gonna invest good money in fixing something that isn't broken.
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

Ive speculated for some time now that our ears go a little deaf on stage do to adrenalin.  I can hear everythibg during the sound check but soon as the show starts its like musical tunnel vision.  Anyone else notice this?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Submarine

Quote from: spookstrickland on March 03, 2016, 12:13:34 AM
Ive speculated for some time now that our ears go a little deaf on stage do to adrenalin.  I can hear everythibg during the sound check but soon as the show starts its like musical tunnel vision.  Anyone else notice this?

That is because y'all slack at soundcheck and get all excited during the show.  Volume and energy spike dramatically during the show. 90% of bands do this.

everdrone

there is definitely a lot of energy on stage, thats when its nice for it to be loud.

but, when you get on stage and you were practicing in a small room with the sound stuffed in there bouncing off walls, now you are in a bigger bar room and the speakers are not pointed at your ears and sound engineers are gonna say turn down so that sound does not leak into all the microphones, so its harder to hear yourself