Main Menu

using two amps

Started by fuzzx, March 08, 2016, 03:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzx

anyone use two amps combo or half stack ?
if so how is your set up i am trying to find any info

jibberish

amps run from line level signals such as the signal from the effects out.

put the amp with the most preamp control first since effects output is after the pre and run that to the next amp.
you can also split the clean input signal. probably should use a buffered device to maintain drive into the impedance drop
i use both of those tricks.

my frankenstack is 4 amps at once. instrument->buffered splitter->(amp1->amp1 effects out -> amp 2)x2
(mortay, say it with me "ho lee crap puh")

edit:^all hail jucifer, it's really her ideas that inspire my ideas

the pre's are like the master volume as they set the effects out level. so the trick to balancing all gains and volumes is in the actual master volume on each amp
they are like the mixer channel sliders.

it's easy to do and you cant really hurt anything as long as you are passing line level around.

Pissy

If you are going to run two amps, gut a Boss TU-2, you need a tuner anyways.  split the signal there, and you'll get two line level signals instead of a half the signal to either side like you would get if you were to simply use a splitter.  You could also use a good ABY box that has an op-amp circuit, but since you need a tuner anyways...  the TU-2 is really nice.

next coinsider that out of the TU-2, when you stomp on the tuner only one signal gets cut, the other passes through.  So when you tune, that'll come through the one amp and no one wants to hear someone tune - so put a volume pedal on that signal. 

I always ran that volume pedal signal to the less powerful amp (i play bass) and cranked it, then used the volume pedal to dial in the dirt. 

Need to figure something out for ground loop hum though.  Some methods are dicey, some methods are sound and pricey. sometimes the venue has dicey wiring and it doesn't hum.
Vinyls.   deal.

spookstrickland

Yes, quite often.  I use either my Stereo Wah or Stereo Flanger to split the signal.  I adjust one for mids and highs the other for low mids and lows.  Makes an amazing sound when using the wah.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

liquidsmoke

I do for one of my bands. These work great-

Tuner and noise gate in front, effects for each path after.

Pissy

can you turn both signals off with that thing?  I like the ground lift.
Vinyls.   deal.

Danny G

For Ocean of Stars I use my Marshall half stack as my main with a pair of combos for the loop station/push more air.

I use an ABY to split them. Used to use a Boss TU-2 as a poor man's channel switcher as I mainly just needed to turn the aux combo rig on/off rather than switching between the two rigs.

ABY is a little better as going back and forth is easier to set let levels between them.

I use two combos as the aux rig as together they sound better than each amp individually. And the combos are linked by running the record out of one into the input of the other.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Pissy on March 09, 2016, 07:21:54 AM
can you turn both signals off with that thing?  I like the ground lift.

Not both at the same time but you can turn both on from one being on and of course switch back and forth. I use my tuner to turn them 'both' off.

jibberish

fwiw, that malekko delay has a built in buffer that can be engaged so that when the pedal is off it buffers the volume to match when the pedal is on.
so I can use the buffer even when I don't need any delay.
that is the last pedal in the chain too, so: bonus freebie buffer in just the right place.

That buffer can also be disengaged so the pedal is 100% off when it is off.
you don't have to be stuck with active crap and just be normal "bypass" when off if so desired.