Effects you used to use but outgrew for whatever reason

Started by Danny G, March 25, 2016, 11:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Chorus.

My first amp as a teen had it (Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x10). In the years after I used a Boss Chorus ensemble, a Danelectro Cool Cat and then a Small Clone.

But sometime near the end of Southern Gun Culture I stopped using chorus. Not sure why, just stopped.

Still have my Small Clone but don't use it.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

All of them. Down to only dirt
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

I've got 2 different delays on the board now, but no delay-based effects like chorus and flange, both of which I used to employ.

"The Edge" basically ruined chorus for me, and I've lost my taste for flangers, as well.
Livin' The Life.

Danny G

I've tried messing with a delay pedal. Never found a use for it.

Part of my aversion to delay I know specifically from hearing too many players using it as s crutch.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

mortlock

Quote from: Danny G on March 25, 2016, 12:41:06 PM
I've tried messing with a delay pedal. Never found a use for it.

Part of my aversion to delay I know specifically from hearing too many players using it as s crutch.

dude from earthless might be guilty of that.

Danny G

Eh, I don't count psych players in that group. Kind of goes with the territory

Mostly speaking of guitarists in red dirt/Texas country. I think I am the only one who *doesnt* use delay. The other guitarist in Bleu Edmondson's band who just moved on openly admitted that delay was his crutch.

Pissy

I would think Ocean of Stars would be they perfect place for both chorus and delay.
Vinyls.   deal.

black

The only pedal I gave up on was a Boss DD-7.
Not that I outgrew it. I was just too stupid to figure out how to make it work for me and too proud to ask.
So I traded it for some drugs.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

spookstrickland

Ive got the opposite problem, I started with very little pedals now Ive a bunch....Ive found I onky like my boss ce2 chorus stacked with my octave down otherwise its just too 80s
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

giantchris

I'm finding I like more effects the longer I play.  Personally I'm a huge phaser/univibe/flanger fan with tons of verb.

bitter

Never got into effects in a usable manner. Reverb for black metal, but that was more for atmosphere. Trying to utilize delay to learn how to play lead stuff, but kind of like Gordy, I just can't figure it out.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

spookstrickland

My major weekness is for treddle pedals, if you can rock it back and forth I got to have it.  I got 5 wah wahs now. A Rotovibe, a volume pedal and one of them big chrome morley phasers..I just cant get enough.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

I like treadle pedals too, I think all the pedals should be in treadles. (I don't like carrying them though).

Quote from: black on March 25, 2016, 06:20:19 PM

Delays aren't really punk, they're more of a hippy thing. (I know, we already had this discussion in General Discussion. Somebody brought up the Dead Kennedys - the exception to the rule - but weren't they using reverb?) Delays can remove the "urgency" vibe from your music, so they don't fit every style.

I'm into weird pedals, sound manglers etc.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

if you aren't doing the crazy space stuff with a delay, you can use your delay most of the time as a guitar thickener, but it is a subtle setup or it adds too much crap.

mine actually gets used the most for a subtle "filler" as a slapback delay.
the crazy delay stuff is too gadget to use all the time(just like phlangers and fasers)

all IMO from where I am at so far.
I really haven't had pedals long enough to outgrow them with the exception of the many dist pedals I have rejected over the years vs that HM-2.

Pissy

I have some effects that are only used for one song.

Here for example is the hard chop tremolo that I bought a BOSS Slicer for.  That pedal is now in a box somewhere because I found a different thing that is small and does the job whenever that song makes it into the set.  What I love about this pedal is that it does really weird shit in conjunction with my amp that creates 2-3 second sound swells that randomly go in and out.  Sound guys think I blew a speaker or something, but its the amp dealing with the huge wonky signal.  It's cool.  You can hear it in the recording, but not to the same degree that it comes out live.

Wheels
https://watchhuskyburn.bandcamp.com/track/wheels
Vinyls.   deal.

Danny G

Quote from: Pissy on March 25, 2016, 05:18:43 PM
I would think Ocean of Stars would be they perfect place for both chorus and delay.

Right?

black

Quote from: jibberish on March 26, 2016, 07:23:10 AM
if you aren't doing the crazy space stuff with a delay, you can use your delay most of the time as a guitar thickener, but it is a subtle setup or it adds too much crap...

That's what I was hoping to do with it (our other guitar player uses a delay for that purpose).
As far as swooshy phase stuff, I find that my Small Stone fits the bill for the few tunes we have that are appropriate for such noise.

Quote from: Lumpy on March 26, 2016, 06:48:54 AM

Quote from: black on March 25, 2016, 06:20:19 PM

Delays aren't really punk, they're more of a hippy thing. (I know, we already had this discussion in General Discussion. Somebody brought up the Dead Kennedys - the exception to the rule - but weren't they using reverb?) Delays can remove the "urgency" vibe from your music, so they don't fit every style.

I'm into weird pedals, sound manglers etc.

For decades I never used pedals. Amp volume override and finger control suited me fine.
Then came along StonerRock into my life.
After a year or so of dicking around I settled into (and learned to manipulate) a basic pedal board. A Tu-2 wah, fuzz and the S.S.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Pissy

on my board is:

Tu-2
big muff - multiple songs
crybaby bass wah - one song
Roto-vibe - same one song
that hard chop tremolo thingy Seymor Duncan Shape Shifter- different one song
MXR carbon copy delay- previous one song
Ibanez craptastic digital delay for a 1/4 note slapback for yet a different one song

for bass.
Vinyls.   deal.

eyeprod

The big muff doesn't see much use any more; I favor my Stroll On or Great Destroyer.  I still use my pedals, but not playing so much guitar lately. When I do play guitar it's mainly for recording ideas and lately I use few if any effects and not always the same ones every time like I used to. I use delays for synths, either the Dlx Memory Man or a pink Ibanez. Delay on guitar is kinda like a wah, I use it sometimes and it's crucial, but they both get old doing the same old tricks if you use them all the time. In recording I am keeping delay to a minimum. I find it annoying to have heavy delay on more than one instrument. Same with reverb. Less is more. Not so easy to convince others that layering guitars that are all heavily delayed and verbed out is not the best practice... unless you like a shit sound. No, sorry, more delay doesn't make it "psychedelic" just like more distortion doesn't make it more heavy. It just makes a mess.

on bass I go straight into amp. If I want fuzz bass then I am using a Woolly Mammoth clone into a Moog low pass filter. Now that pedal is my go to these days, especially for recording. It's pretty amazing for such a simple thing with very limited functionality. It's really great on drum tracks. I'm using a drum machine to craft tunes, and the lpf really spices it up with the slightest twist of a knob. I recommend it highly if you know how to use one.

I consider trying chorus, but it hasn't happened yet.
CV - Slender Fungus

zachoff

Fuzz for bass.  The distinction in notes is non-existent.  Still love straight distortion.

VOLVO)))

Caitlinbread SCOD is still the best bass distortion I've  ever used.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

zachoff

Quote from: VOLVO))) on March 26, 2016, 08:38:50 PM
Caitlinbread SCOD is still the best bass distortion I've  ever used.

Will try to find one. Right now I'm using the 2.0 Joyo Ultimate Drive and it kicks mucho ass... Especially for $36.

MichaelZodiac

I might revisit my one when I get my pedals from back home, OCD clones are awesome but too grindy for my last band.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

jibberish

something else about not using pedals at all:

we get really picky about the sweet sound of a pickup driving a tube amp.  
it's a beautiful thing and any active SS circuit takes some of the shine off of that beautiful warmth and wtf i'm trying to say here.....

you may as well just have a clean, snappy, hi-gain amp for pedals now that you have budget pre-amped your sound.....
even the guitar doesn't matter as much either once you buffer...

edit: I put in way more time horsing around with just the guitar and amp settings and how the volume and pick attacks vary in the amp's output, depending on where you are in the amp's gain etc.
that right there is about a lifetime's worth of experiments to be done