Looking for an artist for t shirt designs and stuff

Started by bbottom, April 06, 2016, 11:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Hey guys I'm looking for an artist for t shirt and various other band related  stuff. I've been doing the bulk of that stuff myself, but I'm interested in finding someone with a different style for future things. Thanks dudes

Submarine

Kojak is our resident awesome artist.
I have also found some really good artists on Facebook via some of the stoner/doom groups.

black

Kojak is a genius.
He is one of those rare artists who not only is full of his own vision and creativity, but can also empathise with what someone wants without knowing how to speak artist-ese.
He did this for me;

And that's all his own hand lettering as well.
You should check in with him.

http://briankoschak.blogspot.com/

Make sure to check out his links on the right side of that page.
His blog is fantastic as is his other graphic work.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

socket

Yeah dude. Like has been said. KOJAK. He is an artistic genius.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

jibberish

my sister may be interested. she is professional artist and now has a custom clothing biz and a boutique type store.
her resume is in every cracker barrel in usa. used to do lots of work for hallmark and the coffee cup people
also, they can create any band merch imaginable because of how they can modify clothing in any way:printing, embroidery, patches, lace wtf makers, edge sergers and shit I don't even know about. so her angle may be to do merch art too.

google "bagnabit" to see her store in beautiful [cough] downtown Ashland ohio
if you are interested, I will talk to her regarding doing an art compilation for a band to establish its trademark/presence.
i'm designing stuff for her to sell too so I have to periodically touch base anyway.

*************************************************************************************************************************

also bbottom, are you possibly interested in playing for decent pay up here in ohio?
my nephew has to put together bands for 5 days and the budget is huge for some big van happening down the road.
I already told him to try to get jackyl and I will mention mass driver if you might be interested in the drive for huge exposure and....money.

you guys bring it, and that's what this affair needs. 

black

Quote from: jibberish on April 08, 2016, 02:46:11 AM
my sister may be interested...google "bagnabit" to see her store...

You're sister is a hippie!
;)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

jibberish

Quote from: black on April 08, 2016, 09:47:27 AM
my sister may be interested...google "bagnabit" to see her store...

You're sister is a hippie!
;)

haha.  yeah she is really cool.  
I think she would use the word "bohemian" from more of the clothing and accessory perspective, but ya, hippie heh.

btw, bandcamp is fucked up regarding merch.
they take merch sales % from the music sales and actually have nothing to do with the merch.
so there goes the nice cushy "no 3rd party to deal with by the band" setup.
Also, I have no idea what happens if all you do is sell merch and never sell enough music to pay the bandcamp merch cut.
whatever, we aren't fucking with merch on bandcamp at this time, just going to sell music.

edit: btw, the plan all along here is to get a merch page associated with the band, and the fans just order from the merch page, which goes to my sis to make and ship right to the fan/customer. then money shows up for the band once the money clears for the merch order.

the band literally could "stock" a thousand merch items and never even see one and for SURE never have to front $, order a ton, move that shit around and store it, etc etc etc
just collect the money. the band's part of the bargain is to make better music to get more fans and move more merch,  butnot actually SELL merch. heh.
obviously you could still cherry pick a selection for shows which you would have to buy, but there would be no quantity bullshit. idk seems killer.

bbottom

my sister may be interested. she is professional artist and now has a custom clothing biz and a boutique type store.
her resume is in every cracker barrel in usa. used to do lots of work for hallmark and the coffee cup people
also, they can create any band merch imaginable because of how they can modify clothing in any way:printing, embroidery, patches, lace wtf makers, edge sergers and shit I don't even know about. so her angle may be to do merch art too.

google "bagnabit" to see her store in beautiful [cough] downtown Ashland ohio
if you are interested, I will talk to her regarding doing an art compilation for a band to establish its trademark/presence.
i'm designing stuff for her to sell too so I have to periodically touch base anyway.

*************************************************************************************************************************

also bbottom, are you possibly interested in playing for decent pay up here in ohio?
my nephew has to put together bands for 5 days and the budget is huge for some big van happening down the road.
I already told him to try to get jackyl and I will mention mass driver if you might be interested in the drive for huge exposure and....money.

you guys bring it, and that's what this affair needs. 

shoot me a pm with the details and we can go from there. Also thanks for suggesting your sis.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll talk to Kojak and hopefully we can work something out.

I left art school in order to create my own comic book series. So everything that I draw ends up looking very comic booky. So I'd love to get a different perspective on art direction

everdrone

cool art from kojak, I did not know

I liked that iota cover

it reminds me of the recent qotsa music video cartoons

bbottom

Kojak's art is very good. It reminds me of Frank Miller mixed with a bit of Geof Darrow. However I'm looking for something different and less comic book like.

jibberish

hey , this should speed up your decision regarding my sister's art style.

her resume wtf page is a real good feel for her style.
I suppose taking a look is the first step

http://www.kathyrusynyk.com/index.html

edit: I checked that page all out. IMO, the only thing that does for a band looking for new merch presence is to verify her skill +cred.
the stuff they do for the custom clothing biz is basically anything that is needed. her personal art style has absolutely nothing to do with that either.
these situations are what spawn new art things, but going at it with lots of creativity and experience.

heh, I see if u want a 20"x30" painted dog portrait: $2700.    yeah! you go girl!!! hope she gets a hundred of those jobs.  I wonder if shafty wants 20"x 30" portraits of muscular armed Ukrainian women that are in his employ. he could be good for a dozen or so....

edit: I believe the van fest thing is in 2017, so we have some time to sort details.
i'll find out where my nephew is at with that. I actually have to talk to him today(sunday) about some other stuff so i'll see where he is at right now

everdrone

:)

Lumpy

If you can pay for artwork, it opens things up. Ask the artists who you really like what their fees are (after explaining you're a self-financing band). Maybe offer an additional fee every time the recording gets re-pressed (that way if your release is popular, they are rewarded). What about somebody like Art Chantry?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

^ this.     

even regarding my sis. if she were designing a product line, that's one thing where you are investing the art into the final product,
but straight "for hire" art, you can see she gets serious money for her time. definitely don't want to do that with her.
a hungry newly starting artist would be the better money bet vs an established known artist.
what you would get with her is her experience on how to put together a corporate presence/image, so to speak.

also, that van fest is in june 2017.
the budget is huge, for real.  probably min $1000 per non-headliner bands.
they just get some huge sound company out of Cowtown to sort of run the tech side of the event.
my nephew has done so well with his local van fest weekends up here, he has gained national attention..go figure heh.
so they asked him to put together the music. 

amadkins

One of my buds at work hangs out with this young lady. She likes teh doomz and stoner.

http://www.nikiurbanartwork.com

Lumpy

Doing an album cover is considered fun for a graphic artist, and very few people can do rock band artwork full time. The other jobs they get can be tedious bullshit. In case it wasn't clear, I think you should try contacting artists you like, and see if they can do something affordable. An album cover is a fun design project, especially if you give them some leeway.

Lumpy

Shit, what about Jake from the boards here (rebreather) - his design work is tight.

agent of change

We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

everdrone

socket

Radical. Great shit here.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

bbottom

thanks again for all of the suggestions. I spoke to a guy tonight that does the art work for one of the other bands that I'm in. It's a totally different kind of band (90's rock) but I dig what he did logo wise. So he's going to take a stab at it and I'll throw him a few bucks. I'm hoping that it works out. I'm going to keep checking out other people though, both on the board and otherwise. I'm trying to project fun without looking all stoner rock 101 about it. Especially since we aren't a stoner rock band

Quote from: jibberish on April 11, 2016, 02:52:27 AM

also, that van fest is in june 2017.
the budget is huge, for real.  probably min $1000 per non-headliner bands.
they just get some huge sound company out of Cowtown to sort of run the tech side of the event.
my nephew has done so well with his local van fest weekends up here, he has gained national attention..go figure heh.
so they asked him to put together the music. 

That sounds rad as shit man. If it works out, maybe we could roll there in my guitar players 77 Dodge van....although I wouldn't trust it to make that long of a haul. keep me in the loop about the show though. I don't come to this site as often as I used to so it's easier to reach me on FB either here:
https://www.facebook.com/rodsheehan01
or here
https://www.facebook.com/massdriverband

jibberish

Quote from: amadkins on April 11, 2016, 02:21:42 PM
One of my buds at work hangs out with this young lady. She likes teh doomz and stoner.

http://www.nikiurbanartwork.com

if the game was "choose one of these artists to do some work and create pieces for your house"
I think I would go with her.  I like darker stuff too. not a big cutesey reality fluffy bunny fan.
Also she works in several medias and probably could do some really cool stuff for an integrated house project.

lowskillustration

Hello all,

Thanks for accepting me to this group,

Just introduce myself, I am an artist/illustrator who especially working for cover art album, band merch, skateboard decks etc.
cheers all!

https://facebook.com/lowskillustration/

mortlock