Opinions on a few bass amps requested

Started by Discö Rice, July 14, 2016, 12:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

(yes I know all of them weigh a lot and tubes can be a pain. Looking for opinions on tone, satisfactory volume levels, reliability, and most importantly: do they take pedals well?)

Peavey Classic 400

Fender Super Bassman 300 Pro/Sunn 300t (same amp, different logo, you probably know that if you have an opinion on this one)

Traynor YBA 300

Also looking for other recommendations.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

also opinions on a couple of solid state options:

Sunn Coliseum 800

Kevin Rutmanis uses a rig that consists of a Sansamp rackmount preamp, and a Crown power amp. Anyone tried something similar?

Discö Rice

and while I'm at it, I should mention that I'm probably looking at an 8x10 for this.

Ampeg 8x10's seem to be in ready supply, but I know many of you don't like them.

In a perfect world I'd probably want to run a Barefaced 8x10.

I've heard that Peavey TVX and TX 8x10's can push a lot more bottom end than an Ampeg. Can anyone vouch for this? I'd rather stay away from Ampeg. Not because I don't like them or anything, just kind of looking for a different aesthetic.

Pissy

If the traynor is anything like the 200 version, you won't find much dirty goodness out of that amp. It's sound is awfully solid state-y. Now I personally don't see much wrong with that for bass, but most in this genre feel otherwise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... A 120 watt tube amp for bass can sound incredible. I play one and it's nothing short of awesome. Mine is non mv, three knobs, through an ampeg 610. Traynor YBA-3 (old style) or V4/b type thing.

The Carvin 810 while not highly sought after or hot on the resale front is more efficient (in terms of published specs) then the peavey or Ampeg.  I think they're still cheaper too.

But I wouldn't trade my 610 for anything, including a new ampeg 610. The wood isn't as thick on the new ones.
Vinyls.   deal.

Discö Rice

Good to know. reading up on the Carvin 8x10 now.

black

A versatile, solid workhorse.
Many great tones and practically indestructible.
Re-tubing will probably require a loan though.

If you are steering away from the Ampeg 'fridges, these cabs weigh a ton but sound magnificent.

also;

and,

I'm not a huge fan of M/B's "newer" stuff, but my experience with the older stuff has always been positive.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Discö Rice

I was actually looking at those Powerhouse 1200 4x10/1x15 cabs. Running a pair might be just the ticket!

Also I'd totally forgotten the Bass 400+ amps existed. they seem pretty reasonable price-wise for that amount of juice.

black

I've had two different bass players over the years that Rock the 400+ (including current bass player) and they never fail.

They sound great with a guitar when playing certain styles as well.

Running a pair of those cabs would be devastatingly rad.

Discö Rice

Funny you mention the guitar thing, because I'm planning on primarily playing "octave guitar" through it. This guy, to be specific.

8 10's and 2 15's sounds just about perfect. I like that you said devastatingly rad. I think it would be, too. I mean it would clearly be way over the top and excessive, but isn't rock 'n' roll all about excess (ESPECIALLY in terms of volume)?

black

ABSOLUTELY!

If you are after volume yet positive tone control, those older Mesa/Boogies are the ticket in my opinion.

Been Rocking a Mark lll since picking it up fresh out of the Petaluma factory in the late 1980's, running it through two M/B 4x12s of the same vintage (the one's with the metal grill fronts)

Other guitar player runs a M/B Dual Rectifier through a late '80's M/B cab with an equally vintage Marshal cab on top.

Bass player runs a 400+ (y-splinter to run both channels at once) through an Ampeg fridge on one side and an Ampeg stack of two 4x12s on the other side.

Our drummer has the arms of Popeye and a healthy resentment for Mesa/Boogie products because of our fetish for high level volume.

(i'm really curious now to hear the results of this project)

Discö Rice

Quote from: black on July 14, 2016, 05:49:16 PM
ABSOLUTELY!

If you are after volume yet positive tone control, those older Mesa/Boogies are the ticket in my opinion.

Been Rocking a Mark lll since picking it up fresh out of the Petaluma factory in the late 1980's, running it through two M/B 4x12s of the same vintage (the one's with the metal grill fronts)

Other guitar player runs a M/B Dual Rectifier through a late '80's M/B cab with an equally vintage Marshal cab on top.

Bass player runs a 400+ (y-splinter to run both channels at once) through an Ampeg fridge on one side and an Ampeg stack of two 4x12s on the other side.

Our drummer has the arms of Popeye and a healthy resentment for Mesa/Boogie products because of our fetish for high level volume.
So. Much. Power. I can dig it.

Quote from: black on July 14, 2016, 05:49:16 PM

(i'm really curious now to hear the results of this project)

Thanks! Me too. Gonna do my damnedest to make it ugly. Hopefully it works out.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Discö Rice on July 14, 2016, 12:50:19 PM
Fender Super Bassman 300 Pro/Sunn 300t

All the reliability of a cheap valve amp, all the maintainability of a cheap SS amp.

The Mesa 400+ is 250w or so, so bear that in mind with power comparisons.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 14, 2016, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on July 14, 2016, 12:50:19 PM
Fender Super Bassman 300 Pro/Sunn 300t

All the reliability of a cheap valve amp, all the maintainability of a cheap SS amp.
Ouch! That's the first negative review of that amp that I've heard. That bad, eh? Yikes. Now that you mention it a lot of people seem to dig the tone and power of the Bassman 300/300t, but no one so far has said much of anything in regard to reliability. Sounds like they're best avoided, then. Disappointing. The black tolex with the metal grill is sexy looking.

QuoteThe Mesa 400+ is 250w or so, so bear that in mind with power comparisons.

So if I was running 2 of those powerhouse 4x10/1x15 cabs, I'd probably want a Mesa 400+ for each cab, then, yes?

Discö Rice

Quote from: black on July 14, 2016, 04:11:18 PM

I really like this configuration, too. Any idea what this cab is called? Having trouble finding it on zee webz.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Discö Rice on July 15, 2016, 12:37:09 AM
Ouch! That's the first negative review of that amp that I've heard. That bad, eh? Yikes. Now that you mention it a lot of people seem to dig the tone and power of the Bassman 300/300t, but no one so far has said much of anything in regard to reliability. Sounds like they're best avoided, then. Disappointing. The black tolex with the metal grill is sexy looking.

Bunch of the problem is they dump all that power into shitty unbraced cabs that vibrate the shit out of them, and when something fails from that vibration when everything is on one big pcb, it is a massive job to find and fix. And it will happen again right after.

QuoteSo if I was running 2 of those powerhouse 4x10/1x15 cabs, I'd probably want a Mesa 400+ for each cab, then, yes?

Get a good cab instead and 250w is loads. Mixing up drivers to look cool is a mess of phase cancellation inefficiency. Sure Mesa sellers would love you to double up on all your gear though.

Danny G

Quote from: black on July 14, 2016, 04:29:45 PMI've had two different bass players over the years that Rock the 400+ (including current bass player) and they never fail.

They sound great with a guitar when playing certain styles as well.

Running a pair of those cabs would be devastatingly rad.

I can vouch for the 400+. They are beasts. As is the Ampeg equivalent, the SVT-II (non pro). They will cost you tho.

And yes, I use my JCM 800 100w as a bass amp and it kicks ass. Not quite the volume and oomph as my SVT but gets the job done, and done well.

I have been very pleased with every Trace Elliot product I have ever used.

The Fender TBA-600 is a great sleeper amp. Built like a tank.

The new run Acoustic amps sound amazing for the price but are built like toys. Consider one as a backup you'd be happy to get through a gig with.

Even the Orange Tiny Terror bass amp kicks out some serious volume.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

Quote from: Discö Rice on July 14, 2016, 04:20:21 PM
I was actually looking at those Powerhouse 1200 4x10/1x15 cabs. Running a pair might be just the ticket!

Also I'd totally forgotten the Bass 400+ amps existed. they seem pretty reasonable price-wise for that amount of juice.

Also look into the Ampeg Isovent cab.

Weird big slant cab with 2x10s on top and two clamshell-mounted 15s.

One of these days I will re-speaker mine and run it alongside my Dietz

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

black

Quote from: Discö Rice on July 15, 2016, 12:41:52 AM
Quote from: black on July 14, 2016, 04:11:18 PM

I really like this configuration, too. Any idea what this cab is called? Having trouble finding it on zee webz.

Mesa/Boogie 1516 Bass Cabinet.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 15, 2016, 08:46:33 AM
Quote from: Discö Rice on July 15, 2016, 12:37:09 AM
Get a good cab instead and 250w is loads. Mixing up drivers to look cool is a mess of phase cancellation inefficiency. Sure Mesa sellers would love you to double up on all your gear though.

"Get a good cab" Assuming I don't have $2500 to throw at some behemoth boutique cabinet, can you point me in the right direction? I mean specifically? Suitably braced, loud as hell, won't require a loan from a local bookie to acquire?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Discö Rice on July 15, 2016, 11:53:19 AM
"Get a good cab" Assuming I don't have $2500 to throw at some behemoth boutique cabinet, can you point me in the right direction? I mean specifically? Suitably braced, loud as hell, won't require a loan from a local bookie to acquire?

Greenboy Dually, which are made by various licenced makers around the place, or Bearlly from Bear Amps, or Bear might help a local woodworker make one, its kind of the pirate copy of the Dually. http://greenboy.us/#builders These are the US available equivalents to the cabs I use, that are loud enough with 100w amps, and get retarded with 200+. Generations ahead of the standard stuff.

I'd guess Avatar have or will be trying to figure an equivalent, but being outside UK, I've not followed them.

jibberish

just so you know foxen!!!

I read everything you post quite carefully.

also, are mongols chinks?  One side of our family has like an 8th of mongol in it. old pics of grandpa and my uncle sam and his son and my dad and I all sort of have that Asian monkey skull shit going on(pakis really have that skull thing too), and certain generations of the women have that jet black ruler straight chink hair.

Mr. Foxen

I get sent that video of a mongolian throat singing and playing that violin variant thing all the time saying he looks like me. I have no links to there. Yesterday I got told I look like I'm from kung-fu movies twice. Probably because I'm rocking a full Fu-Manchu stache with third point beard.

giantchris

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 15, 2016, 04:27:11 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on July 15, 2016, 11:53:19 AM

Greenboy Dually, which are made by various licenced makers around the place, or Bearlly from Bear Amps, or Bear might help a local woodworker make one, its kind of the pirate copy of the Dually. http://greenboy.us/#builders These are the US available equivalents to the cabs I use, that are loud enough with 100w amps, and get retarded with 200+. Generations ahead of the standard stuff.

I'd guess Avatar have or will be trying to figure an equivalent, but being outside UK, I've not followed them.
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/bass-cabinets/tb153/
And a slightly different take 2x12 with a mid driver
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/bass-cabinets/b2126/

Personally all the heads the original poster posted are good.  The YBA-300 sounds much better then the YBA-200 as well I want to point out and it has that tube protection technology so if one tube goes you can keep playing because it will shut the paired one down.  And of the ones listed I'd pick the Mesa 400+ if money and weight wasn't an issue it sounds the best.

To answer the question I have done the Sansamp+poweramp combo it sounds great.  Personally I prefer the character series for this and really like the orange and leeds one for something different then the VT because everybody uses ampeg.

I'd also like to throw out the new Mesa Subway D-800s and the Gallien-Krueger MB800s are both really, really good sounding.  

A good cab you can find used sometimes for relatively cheap is the 2nd revision of the Epifani PS115 I use 2 of them with a Fender Pro800 and it sounds pretty damn crushing. 

everdrone

Ive seen the doom band "Destroyer of Light" play 4 times, they are killer!  Their bassist recently quit after their last bassist quit, so now the two guitarists just do that "octave thing" and run their guitars through a bass stack as well.  sounds great!  Royal Blood does this too but with a bass guitar. 

Here is Destroyer of Light with their dual "octave thing" guitar rigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwlTIlMBkD0&feature=youtu.be

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: giantchris on July 16, 2016, 03:10:18 PM
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/bass-cabinets/tb153/
And a slightly different take 2x12 with a mid driver
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/bass-cabinets/b2126/

Those are very far from equivalent. good cabs if you run lots of SS power, terrible cabs if you want to run driven valve amps.