Recommend a decent bass on the cheap

Started by black aspirin, July 17, 2016, 06:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

Looking for a decent bass to use for home recording.  Will be recording it direct, then mixing a clean track and a distorted one (distortion will be from plug-ins, or from splitting the signal and mic'ing the distorted amp).

Current bass (Ibanez Soundgear) has active pickups, which are kind of a pain in the ass when I just want a good clean tone with solid low end.  It's also difficult (for me) to play that low string without excess rattling.

I should also note that it will be set up in standard B / drop A tuning.  Not opposed to just getting a 5-string bass (then I don't have to get it all set up to accommodate the low tuning) if the price is right and tone is good.  I'm not a bass player, so the easier it plays, the better.  Would also entertain using a smaller-scale neck, since I was gifted with short, stubby fingers.   :D

This Juan goes to 11.

Mr. Foxen

Setup and suitable gauge strings is gonna be necessary whatever bass, so might as well get that done on the one you have.

black aspirin

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 17, 2016, 07:39:43 PM
Setup and suitable gauge strings is gonna be necessary whatever bass, so might as well get that done on the one you have.

Although I complained about the rattle of the low string, my current bass was set up at Guitar Center, using a 5-string set and obviously throwing out the high string. 
This Juan goes to 11.

Mr. Foxen

When I said 'Setup' the unspoken implication was 'competent setup'.

jibberish

I spent some time with the low end basses at GC a couple times.

My favorite cheap basses are Ibanez.  I have been eyeing the 5 strings. they play really nicely.
as time passes, I believe the highest quality cheap guitars are schecters, including their basses.
I also horsed around with the baby stingray. those are pretty nice

I would start with a look the $299 5-string Ibanez at GC if I were you I think.

this is from the perspective of owning an Agile P-style bass that was shipped for $185 total.
I still haven't replaced it because it seems to work just fine ..playable, good intonation, decent action.
played fine right out of the shipping box.
I also have noticed that my Ibanez acoustic($79) and that Dean acoustic bass($200), the other 2 junk guitars I bought sight unseen in a box, play wonderfully.

edit: if your bass is ok for the job, what about the possibility of scoring different PuP's from a beat or unplayable bass for cheap

Mr. Foxen

Unless the actives are EMGs, chance are they are standard pickups with a shitty preamp board in the cavity so can make it passive by bypassing the pre.

zachoff

Craigslist is your friend.  I'd pick up a passive P or J.  Prices on Squiers are good... http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/5662760546.html

If you want to hold out for something not so cheap, the Aria Pro II basses can be found for pretty cheap and they're solid... Made in Japan.

kirky

Squiers and the Epi Thunderbirds are good.

Lumpy

Squier P Bass or used Fender "MIM" (made in Mexico) P Bass (serial number will begin with M, I believe). The newer Squiers are generally considered excellent for the money (about 300 new, I think, so low-200s for a used one)

Precision bass has two knobs, volume and "tone" (just reduces the treble, actually). Use it to remove "zing" and "ping" if you want. Super easy to use. "Too many knobs" is my kryptonite with amps and instruments. The Precision bass is plug & play, and IMO it always sounds right.

For downtuning, longer necks are supposed to help a little, in which case look for a Gibson. But those aren't cheap.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

zachoff

Downtuning is all about string gauge and setup.  Get big strings and a good setup and you're set.  http://store.kaliumstrings.com/ - .112 and .118 balanced set from Kalium are my go-tos.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

everdrone

I like my epi thunderbird, I bought it used for $200 lol that the setup cost 1/4 the cost of the bass:

heytrid

my vote would also be epi thunderbird or a squier P/J type bass.

giantchris

My vote would be one of the old OLP Stingray clones and upgrade the pickup.  Not the SUBs.  Never the SUBs.  Or a G&L Tribute SB-2 or Ibanez ATK.  Surprised you don't like actives, a nice set of Bartolinis, Nordstrands, or EMGs sounds great.

Lumpy

You could also try not hitting the strings so hard (if you're doing that), at least while you're recording. From what I've read, you can get a purer tone (without extra clank) if you don't hit the strings super hard. There's also supposed to be a more even output (not as much of a volume spike at the beginning of the note). Turn up your output and play softer, is what some people recommend. However, clank and the other characteristics of "hard playing" may be considered appealing, or even an expected part of the music (example: punk) even if purists/nerds poo-poo it. Sometimes "good technique" can translate as "no passion". Just something to consider...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

I have a 130 on my P bass for A# and even with the action kind of high it sounds loose to me. I think those 5 string sets usually come with a 125 for the B string. I'd want maybe a 140 for A on a 34" scale. Don't get a short scale.

edit: Correction: my 5 string set came with 45-130 and I swapped the 130 for a 135. For A I'd maybe even go with a 145.

eoin_not_ian

For B standard/Drop A I would probably go with a five string route.

Ibanez's are good value for cheaper basses. I would probably go the Squier route and swap out the pickups.

For strings, I use a 140 for a low A on a 34 inch scale which is fine. It depends on the bass though as I have found some basses can handle lower tunings easier than others.  If you want a big clear note I think the best route is big strings, high action and good technique, and a good amp set up that will be able to cope with the tuning.

Submarine

Quote from: Lumpy on July 19, 2016, 05:10:57 PM
used Fender "MIM" (made in Mexico) P Bass (serial number will begin with M, I believe).

Yeah, the MIM's are great bang for the buck.  Recently bought a P and I love it.

Dangling Fury

T-40. You can find em 400$ or less. Big sound/ Versatile

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

mortlock

I'd go bullshit fender, or something cool on ebay.

bbottom

How much do you have to spend?

In my opinion. If I wanted a good "cheap" bass the best bang for the buck is the G&L SB2 tribute. You can pick up a used one for around $300 or less. Or save a few hundred more and get a used American model. I have two of them and can't say enough good things. They're passive basses but they have the hottest pick ups that I've ever heard. If you're tuning super low that will really help you out.

An American Musicman Sub bass can be had for around $500. They made two models, a passive and an active. It's basically a StingRay but with a few cheaper parts (tuners, bridge) and the paint is different.
I had a passive one for awhile and it was a cool bass and sounded great. I only got rid of it because I didn't like the painted neck. If you do go this route, make sure you get an American Sub. For some reason MM names different instruments the same thing.

I just sold my T40 because I never played it and it weighed a ton. They do sound good recorded though.

Danny G

Lots of good suggestions here.

My addition: if it sings right off the shelf without being plugged in, strongly consider buying it.

THAT is the sign of a good instrument, and how my two P Basses found me. I didn't even like the color of the first one but goddamn it sounded good. And then I plugged it in and the rhythm guitarist walks up: "Dude. That bass sounds amazing! You're going to buy it, right?"

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

CID Vicious

http://www.guitarfetish.com/assets/images/icons/SLPBBANNER.jpg

Slick P-bass. /Search

Ash body, brass saddles, pro fretjob out of the box, killer pickup.

Everything you need, nothing you don't.

Add a BDI21, do the Franken P mod, & call it a day. That and your effects du jour...if you can't track with that, hang it up :-)

Squiers that don't suck are used Gibson/Fender prices.

Sterling SUBs are good but finicky.

Any sub $500 active bass, using the pre in those for recording? Why? Cheapest/most cost cutting thing on those basses.

Google "Recording Bass Zeuss", great article about how Zeuss records basses with the active pre bypassed, or preferably not even there at all.

Good thread on Talkbass about these Slicks. Ordering mine this week, owned an SL59 Junior and it was as advertised & killer.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

CID Vicious

IF the findings of soooo many players is something you'd want to buck, ie that especially recording, a good P is all you need...I understand. Did EVERYTHING to avoid it myself. J, MM, "Moderns". All sound fine, till you a/b with a P.

But...if you wanna blaze a trail and want a longer neck for extra tension, Peavey Grinds are mostly excellent save for kinda meh pickups.

Also...google "talkbass strikethrough". You're SUPPOSED TO RATTLE THE STRINGS.

No clack and especially in detuned metal, kiss your ass goodbye in that mix.

Repeat after me: I am not better than John Entwhistle.

Like Geezer? Clacks away.

Ryknow? Clackity clackity.

Repeat after me again: I am not in a Stax cover band.

IME 'classic' bassists are half useful for information on technique and mostly useless for advice on tonality, save this: crank, don't scoop, your mids.

Clack + mids + overdrive = rock/metal heaven.

No clack, no mids, GK clean tone = "dude, is your amp even on?"

You're the bassist. Unless you actually are Peter Steele, you play, tune, and EQ to the guitars, not the other way around.

Or, a good 'in the mix' tone *IS* Good Tone. No one cares what your Bedroom Tone is.

Applies to us guitarists, too. Ask anyone who's used a Metal Zone.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"