Alien: Convenant

Started by gritty_fingers, December 26, 2016, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gritty_fingers

Not sure about this one. Ridley Scott is the director and he laid a big turd with Prometheus..

Red Band Trailer:

Supposedly this ties in with Prometheus..
"Ginger People"

EaterofBirds

just took one fir.the team, sort to speak.

this is the last time "Scott Free Productions" gets a dime out of me. I may/may have not said that after Prometheus, but I also would like to plead the 5th. Pure unadulterated bubblegum, but not in the good sense, because it takes itself seriously. Heavyhanded quasi-evolution-spiritual battle going on, left over from the equally beatifully filmed, but script-right-out-out-of-thee-trashcan, Prometheus.

The first 30-40 minutes were palatable....then the wheels come off.  Set 10 years after the last film, it throws water on what happens at the end of the last film, the way Fincher did in his version. Convoluted...contrived...a few spots of grim, then the theoretical shit starts to weigh it down.

This is not only NOT an Alien film, as Scott proclaimed, it's hardly a good film.

The Shocker

How was Kenny fucking Powers?

socket

Ridley Scott has sucked for a long fucking time. I bet there were a bunch of jokes and call outs or tag lines or whatever.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

boltthrow

I hated Prometheus so much this one was better than I hoped.  But yes, it still has a big ponderous middle with robes and drawings and flutes (!), punctuated by other crew members at regular intervals saying "Guys I'll be right back, gotta go wash off..." only to meet their doom.  There's not a lot of action tagline dialogue stuff ("Let's go fuck this thing up!") 'til the end.  Kenny Powers is a bit underused in that department in fact.  Like Prometheus, most of the crew are bland, ethnically diverse pretty boys and girls whose only job is to be munched.  Nothing like the Skerritt/Weaver/Kotto-types who actually seemed like people in ALIEN. Or even Weaver/Beihn/Paxton in ALIENS.

The aliens are wet and gross (one even stands up cutely like Groot) but suffer from the fast zombie thing -- they move so fast and confusingly, it's hard to feel actual suspense.  Nothing like the Skerritt in the air ducts from ALIEN. The film is beautifully made however and almost technically perfect.  CG is amazing, sets are amazing, all let down by a goofy and worse, boring, script.

What pissed me off the most however is that it looks like Jerry Goldsmith isn't credited for anything and this composer lifted HUGE sections of the original score.  These weren't little nods to it, they were straight lifts.   

EaterofBirds

Powers was okay in it, but like Bolt stated, underused. Spent a lot of the film floating around overhead while the shit hit the fan, until the ending.

This one is again getting some pretty good ratings, but I'm one that took Scott at his word, and he let me down. I agree about the Goldsmith comment as well; it's his material rehashed, then the Prometheus score works it way in. Kind of a "fuck you" to the diehards waiting for him to capture the elements of the first two.

The Alien humanoid thing I'm not a fan of. He used both in this...the one that put it on the map, and the white faceless thing from the last film.

spoile[spoiler]The android brother/ending sealed it's own fate with people that take these films dear to them, welp...seriously. It was LAME. It's almost an insult to the intelligence of people paying attention...like a contrived "aha"
I can already see the next one with a whole new crew, a new beacon, a new quasi-euphoria so I've officially checked out from this one. Unless of course...Scott heads off into the sunset and Villeneuve or another one of these hot shot directors with a sense of imagination take the helm[/spoiler]

EaterofBirds

bbottom

I just got back from seeing it and I agree with most of what you guys have said.

I will say though that since I saw all of the promo...whatever they're called...videos that came out before the movie, it did help with at least some character development. Which is needed because the movie gets into it almost right away...which kind of surprised me.

Overall it was entertaining....not great...but entertaining. Michael Fassbender is great in everything that he's in

Lumpy

Seems kind of weird to set an Aliens movie in a convent though.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

I liked it. But im a sucker for all things alien. I also loved prometheous. So there.

Dave J

I liked it enough. It was entertaining. I slept through Prometheus, so I probably missed some things.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

gritty_fingers

I haven't seen it yet.

the big question is: Is it a rental or is it worth seeing on the screen. Based on everyone's input...It seems like the former.
"Ginger People"

Dave J

Quote from: gritty_fingers on May 21, 2017, 08:07:05 PM
I haven't seen it yet.

the big question is: Is it a rental or is it worth seeing on the screen. Based on everyone's input...It seems like the former.

I think the visuals were the best part of the movie. You'll like it better on a big screen.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

EaterofBirds

Pure matinee fodder. Don't stand in line for this shit and pack your own food.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

Too much David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mortlock

Quote from: The Shocker on May 26, 2017, 08:19:30 PM
Too much David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not enough walter

Dylan Thomas

In retrospect, Prometheus is perhaps my favorite of the series.  I like the campiness of it, it reminds me of a Roger Corman film or something, like Galaxy Of Terror, which I adore.  I love the first two Alien movies as well, Prometheus just has the most staying power for me because it was the most out there and interesting.

So I'm thinking that I may like this one as well??  I'm liking what you guys have written in terms of describing content.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

boltthrow

You may like it.  To its and Prometheus' credit, they tried to expand the universe so that every movie isn't just another haunted house movie.  There's a lot of interesting "big picture" philosophizing in Covenant which is  about the only way you can go... they just didn't pull it off all that well.

But yeah, worth seeing on the big screen 100%.

Bro. Righteous

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...