1. BMF Effects Aries Fuzz
2. Analogman Sunface
3. Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
4. Russian Big Muff Pi
5. Fuzzawe Black Effect Pedals

Submarine

1. Black Arts Toneworks - Pharaoh
2. Stomp Under Foot - The Shag
3. Fulltone - Soul Bender (early version)
4. Devi Ever - Shoe Gazer
5. Prescription Electronics - Experience

Lumpy

Earthbound Audio Supercollider - instant Sleep
Malekko B:assmaster - lots of gravelly texture, still maintains note definition, slightly gated
Mountainking Megalith - super heavy, can add more bass, a little mushy
Recovery Effects Bad Comrade - momentary stomp switch is crazy
D*A*M Meathead (one knob) - harsh and destructive

A lot of pedals sound good at bedroom volume but get mushy when loud, those listed all sound good at high volume (except Bad Comrade which I haven't tested that way yet)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bbottom

I've never been a fan of muff style fuzz pedals. I'm a colorsound/fuzzface guy. Super fuzzes are also cool from time to time.

sunnydoubled

Does anyone know of any fuzz pedals that handle solo's well?

I can't stand that electronic sound they get when you go up high. Similar to that of a boss FZ-2.

Lumpy

Quote from: sunnydoubled on February 07, 2017, 05:54:40 PM

I can't stand that electronic sound they get when you go up high. Similar to that of a boss FZ-2.

I think you're talking about the 'octave fuzz' sound (should be easy to avoid)?

Try a clean boost or a overdrive after your regular fuzz?

I don't know?

sunnydoubled

Quote from: Lumpy on February 08, 2017, 12:19:45 AM

I don't know?

Hmm i'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tips.

Submarine

Quote from: Lumpy on February 08, 2017, 12:19:45 AM
Quote from: sunnydoubled on February 07, 2017, 05:54:40 PM

Also check out Black Art Toneworks Sarcophagus - its a Pharoah and a LSTR in one box.  You can use one side for basic tone and the other as a boost.  There is a switch that can determine which side feeds the other.  Very useful (and sounds excellent).

I don't know?

Instant Dan

-Rams Head Muff (Ronsound clone is my favorite)

-Black Arts Pharaoh

-Homebrew UFO

-Fulltone Soul Bender (big box)

-Analogman Peppermint fuzz/Monsterpiece MKII Pro

Dangling Fury

I've yet to find that "holy grail" bass fuzz for my taste. Big muff bass is to thin, switched to the swollen pickle, it's almost the exact opposite, so deep I lose definition. any bass fuzz opinions much appreciated.

Lumpy

QuoteI've yet to find that "holy grail" bass fuzz for my taste. Big muff bass is to thin, switched to the swollen pickle, it's almost the exact opposite, so deep I lose definition. any bass fuzz opinions much appreciated.

Megalith is big and bassy, a little mushy. Super apocalyptic sounding. Malekko B:assmaster retains definition and lots of texture, but doesn't add bass. It might even take a little bass away. Those are my favorites, from the few I've tried.

You could also try the Boss ODB in case you like it, it's a low budget solution that you can find anywhere. Should be $50 used, more or less.

The Eu Claire Thunder from Dwarfcraft Devices looks good to me, it's a muff variant though, with a mids boost. I usually don't like muffs but this one looks good.

Everybody likes different sounds, so it's hard to make recommendations. Your amp is important too, if you don't have an amp you like, then buying fuzz pedals is just chasing your tail. You'll be trying to use a pedal to correct an amp issue. Everything in your signal chain can make a difference. Also, some pedals don't really shine until everything's cranked up loud, and other pedals sound great at bedroom volume, and sound worse when everything's loud.

If you can afford it, buy/sell pedals on the used market, until you find one you like. A/B them side by side. Keep your favorite until something knocks it off the throne. If you shop the used market carefully, you won't lose any money, or maybe just pay for the postage, which you can consider like a rental fee. That means you have to track prices on Ebay and Reverb, and spend time shopping around.

mortlock

Quote from: Dangling Fury on February 18, 2017, 07:08:29 PM
I've yet to find that "holy grail" bass fuzz for my taste. Big muff bass is to thin, switched to the swollen pickle, it's almost the exact opposite, so deep I lose definition. any bass fuzz opinions much appreciated.
ive been super digging my morley power fuzz wah. Cliff burton signature pedal.

Dangling Fury

Looks like the ol BAT pharaoh has made an appeance on these list the most. Seems if you play in the stoner/doom thing it's pretty much mandatory. Means it probably don't suck. I may go with that, I got about 140$ in the budget trade/sell if I don't like it.

MelbaPlace

Catalinbread Katzenkönig isn't a pure fuzz but blends a Tone Bender and a RAT. It sounds really  great.

I love the smell of burnt toast in the morning.

Discö Rice

My two cents in no particular order:

Mountainking Megalith
Black Arts Pharoah
Dwarfcraft Necromancer
Sovtek Big Muff Pi
Univox Superfuzz
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

A little extra about the Sovtek BMP: I owned one. As much as I loved the way that pedal sounded on a bass (SO GOOD!), the construction of the pedal was as shitty as I've ever seen. Plastic jacks, extremely thin knob posts with fragile, cheap plastic knobs... it's like it was built to break in the most annoying ways. If you're hard on gear in any way I'd really recommend something like a Way Huge Russian Pickle, or some other Russian Muff clone with reliable, road worthy housing; especially since the mid-90's Sovtek BMP's are going for $300-$500 these days.

Lumpy

Was your Russian muff the black one, or the green one?

I had a black one, didn't like it too much. I'm not usually into muffs, they sound... muffled to me. It's not the sound I'm chasing. The modern Bass Big Muff is supposed to be virtually the same as the green one.

Discö Rice

It was the green one with the tall font. Came in a wooden box. Pretty sure my ex girlfriend swiped it from me. "It vanished suddenly" is all I can say for sure. I do like the sound, especially when combined with other sources of grit, like a driven tube amp. It retains a lot of bottom end while getting good and woolly in a less fizzy way than a lot of other fuzz boxes.

Here's a review of the way huge russian pickle. Skip to 2:57 for the part where he's breaking into pretty much ideal guitar tone territory (to my ears).

I tend to like it with the tone knob rolled back quite a bit; somewhere between 9 and 12 o'clock generally speaking.

Discö Rice

I dig this one quite a bit. It's an Eu Claire Thunder with a few tweaks.

Discö Rice

Quote from: mortlock on March 02, 2017, 12:45:13 PM

ive been super digging my morley power fuzz wah. Cliff burton signature pedal.
wow I love this thing!

beerrhino

Roger Mayer Mongoose
Devi Ever Hyperion
Roger Mayer Axis
BYOC Leeds fuzz

FonnySquatSlav

I've been pretty sold on the Hail Satan green russian clone from abominable electronics. The clipping switch just turns it into a whole new animal. It's the pedal in the center

Danny G

I've never been much of a fuzz guy, but finally started using a Creepy Fingers Harakiri to see what it can do.

Holy hell, very versatile. Responsive to the guitar volume control to get the dying battery splat.

Blends well with my Blues Driver and also sounds great by itself.

https://www.facebook.com/cathy.criss/posts/1427918010580592

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com