Main Menu

Ham

Started by peoplething, April 17, 2017, 12:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peoplething

I've been thinking about brineing and smoking up a bunch of different kinds of "ham", mostly for sangwitches. The quotation marks are because I'm going to use pork loin/roast instead of the specific cut - those are to hard to find in my froo-froo town. I've done a few, the last one was a rosemary deal and was met with pretty positive reviews.

so, I have a few questions. what are some of your favorite flavors? More sweet or more salty? Citrus or Black forest style? On a sangwitch, what kind of condiments and bread do you dig? as far as smoke, are you into hickory, mesquite or more fruit wood leaning?

Any tips of the trade?
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Jor el

I've heard that bolt leans toward fruit wood.

What Would Scooby Do ?

khoomeizhi

More sweet or more salty?
more salty.

Citrus or Black forest style?
not citrus. deeper flavors, not brighter.

On a sangwitch, what kind of condiments and bread do you dig?
some kind of kraut or pickles, perhaps with spreadable (goat?) cheese. as to bread, whatever, only no caraway seeds.

as far as smoke, are you into hickory, mesquite or more fruit wood leaning?
anything good and aromatic. we smoked meat with trimmings from our indoor/outdoor potted bay tree before - holy shit. but apple/pear/peach, sure, hickory/pecan/even walnut, yeah, mesquite, sure. even soaked stems from herbs - rosemary/lavender/whatever i'm not thinking of...
let's dispense the unpleasantries

mortlock

I prefer the ham found in eggs benedict.

MadJohnShaft

I already posted my ham story.

I have the replacement ham in the fridge.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

peoplething

I missed your ham story, but if you have a replacement it must have come out pretty gross?

MadJohnShaft

I ordered a no-soaking-needed southern ham on the Internets. Served it for Xmas and it was a brick of salt. Even after carefully reading all the comments on their website.

Then we had spaghetti for Xmas and as a project I soaked the ham for a few days and it was a wet brick of salt that smelled funny.

I wrote them a note and they sent me a replacement sweet ham, that us Yankees can handle.

black

Country Ham is usually just a big salt ball. Made one once. Wrapped it in burlap and hung it in the basement for however many months the hillbillies do.. It tasted just as salty and yucky as the ones already cured that you could get at any Piggly Wiggly in Kentucky.

Fuck Country Ham.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

Right, most of the preparations are something like: put a slice in a pan with some Dr Pepper and simmer.

Even with that kinda treatment, not much salt leached out.  Bummer.

I'm not sure when to make the 8 lb sweet ham - that's a lot of ham. Maybe I got to invite some Muslims and Jews over.

black

Ha!

Why not cook it up, have a proper ham dinner and use the leftover ham for preparing a delicious ham and green chile quiche?
When the backyard chickens are laying daily, I had to start figuring ways to use the eggs. I have found quiche to be a delicious answer.
Cheddar and Ham scones are a tasty use of ham as well.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

peoplething

I'm ascared to try that air cured stuff. Plus I'm pretty sure me hanging a bunch of meat in our basement won't fly with the wife.

I'm just going the four day liquid cured route with prague powder, kosher salt, seasoning and smoke it.