Chimichurri

Started by lftwng4, September 21, 2017, 07:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lftwng4

Just recently discovered this "sauce". 
We've been using a recipe off Bon Appetit that's pretty good, and seems to allow for a great deal of flexibility.  All the ingredients blend together nicely in a "whole is greater than the sum" manner.  Great with beef or chicken so far.  As a marinade or a garnishment.
How did I get to age 53 without ever having it before?

mortlock

I'm 49 and this is the first ive heard of it.

Lumpy

I've had it, But I've never made it. It's awesome on grilled meats, especially steak. It's good on french bread, it's good on everything.

There's an Uruguayan restaurant in Queens - El Chivito D'Oro.* They give you like 6 oz. of chimichurri sauce with your meal, you'll finish all of it. (You can get extra). I rarely want to spend $25-$40 on dinner, so I've only been there a couple of times. On the weekends it's filled with families who look like they'e there to splurge.

Chimichurri pictured in the foreground:

*the internet says Chivito is a Uruguayan sandwich, one of the national dishes of Uruguay.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

Sure is.  We went to Colonia and the place we picked for lunch had all their traditional foods.

South American quisine is all grilled meats with interesting sauces.  Water, oil, citrus, peppers, herbs, spices mushed up together.  You can't really mess it up.

I started doing 'board sauces' - you make some sort of nice chimichurri sauce and stick it under the meat before you slice. Then when you transfer to serving plate you have an awesome nice presentation instead of something that looks a little thin and red.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

peoplething

tried a recipe I found on line. had it with some thinly grilled sirloin and barbecued chicken.

it was awesome.

might have to grab a micro-food-processor dealeo.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

EaterofBirds

tip [don't usually go in here to read so just seeing]

cover what you have in a thin layer of olive oil to keep from oxidation...aaaaand...when it starts to go a bit long between uses, makes a obvious base for a ranch dressing [if you are making it traditionally, i.e. balanced with acid and sugar or honey]. Put about 3 TBSP in a bowl, add 1/2 cup of buttermilk and 3/4 to 1 cup of Dukes Mayonnaise. Stir it up good, Adjust...add more mayo if not thick enough [dip] or buttermilk for thinning [salads] or if your chimi game is coming in weak, add more to get more flavor. I make a ton of it, so I make a large batch of ranch, bottle it up and hand it out.

Thank me later