Holiday recipes

Started by renfield, November 12, 2018, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

I may have fucked up.  I brined a turkey that appears was already injected with that bullshit saline solution.  Too late now.  We'll see!
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Oh shit. I'm curious too.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Made Midwesterner oyster stew for lunch. 

Pour a jar of oysters with the liquor into a saucepan, heat medium until the edges curl, then add milk, butter, S&P until it heats up steamy. Enjoy with oyster crackers, splitting up the oysters evenly between the portions, and divide the broth between bowls as well.  

Yummy 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

that gives me an idea, I'll make stuffing with tinned smoked oysters,  some al dente celery. 1/2 with the oysters and 1/2 plain.

clear skies so firing up the charcol grill for red miso chicken thighs

RAGER

Mmmmmm Midwest oysters. Lol. /jk

Careful to not char crisp the chicken cuz of the miso. Though miso combined with other stuff is a great marinade.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing with the ribeye since it's so nice. Oven first then finish over fire. No butter bast buuut I can still do a tallow and wash your sister sauce baste on the platter.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I picked up dried kefir lime leaves, crushed those/morter pestel and coated the thighs. Haven't yet added the miso while the kefir is working in. Guess I'll do 1/2 & 1/2 on those too. hang on, semper gumby...I have some Huli Huli sauce, pretty intense soy ginger sweet Hawaiin marinade. Might do that instsead of miso.

Making a miso noodle soup topped w/ conger eel. I mean, why not?

RAGER

Nah. Mix in some fresh Thai chilis for phrik som. Dip your cooked chicken in that.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Oh and you mean makrut line leaves?  I just yo pick them off my tree. Heehee
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I mistyped, they're Kafir. Not sure where grown. I can get more if you want a pack.
If there's any bugs in there then they's be dried too. lol

I've got green Thai peppers in the fridge. Might have some red in the pantry, hang on..

RAGER

Yep those are makrut lime leaves also call kaffir which I don't use as it's widely considered a pejorative. Makrut is the Thai name so I use that. I have a tree. Got 11 limes off it this year and endless leaves.

Those chilis freeze well too. Got a shit ton in the freezer from my plant.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on November 23, 2023, 03:11:14 PMYep those are makrut lime leaves also call kaffir which I don't use as it's widely considered a pejorative. Makrut is the Thai name so I use that. I have a tree. Got 11 limes off it this year and endless leaves.

Those chilis freeze well too. Got a shit ton in the freezer from my plant.

the only way, home grown. I bought the Makrut leaves since you've mentioned them way back and often. Nice haul from the garden 11 limes! precious cargo.

I have a new Thai fish sauce, phew! it's a stinker. Do I put that in the phrik som? Some vingear. Found my red Thai peppers in a jar, with liquid. Green and red in a jar.

RAGER

Chilis vinegar = phrik som

Chilis fish sauce = phrik nam pla

Chilis fish sauce sugar lime juice= nuoc cham
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER thanks for the ideas. That worked very well. I tossed the chicken in the roasted rapeseed oil then grilled on a salt block. Got that grill waaay up, finally, but too hot at 550. All good actually for the ribeye.

okay, not exactly trad holiday fare, it is what it is.

Makrut grilled chicken wtih phrik nam pla and garlic wok green bean

Grilled ribeye, wok style eggplant, butter & chive golden mash w/horseradish to suit

Pissy

That looks awesome.  

My turkey turned out fine.  

Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

the cornish game hen of turkeys.

Pissy

It was an 11lb turkey. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yeah that's a full deep hotel pan for reference.

Dinner turned out good enough. I over rested the ribeye so it was as pink as I wanted. Still super juicy and tender.

Last minute change on the taters though and I'm glad I did.

These. I highly recommend them. Chef John is great.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Made about 3/4 gallon of stock out of the turkey carcass.  Looks like phlegm in a jar.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Jiggly carcass juice is a goood thing.
No Focus Pocus