Holiday recipes

Started by renfield, November 12, 2018, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

Maybe there's already a thread I coulda bumped, didn't look too hard.

For cranberry sauce last year we did something suggested by these recipes
https://www.surlatable.com/product/REC-269057/Savory+Shallot+and+Orange-Cranberry+Sauce
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cranberry-and-roasted-shallot-sauce-recipe-2129470

The point is, you roast a fuckload of shallots drizzled in balsamic. Scattered with thyme sprigs in our case. I think I went with red wine and OJ instead of port. It was really good.

Lumpy

I usually make the recipe on the cranberry bag, using half orange juice and half water, or all orange juice, and anywhere from half the sugar to zero sugar (but that's slightly too sour). Half sugar is a little tart but I think most people can still handle it. Full sugar is like a dessert.

I tried to buy a whole turkey the other day, but the "on-sale" ones were nowhere to be seen (.39/pound and .99/pound) all they had were birds for 1.99/pound (so almost 40 dollars per bird). I'll try a different store. I love turkey and I remember when it was easy to find, year round for like .69/pound for big ol' turkey legs. I don't know why turkey seems harder to find outside the holidays. Maybe it's mostly ground up now?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

What holidays? Who's holidays?  Walpurgisnacht? Halloween? Ramadan?

Jor el

Whose Wine?  What Wine?  Where the Hell did I Dine?

What Would Scooby Do ?

renfield

Quote from: neighbor664 on November 13, 2018, 07:46:53 PM
What holidays? Who's holidays?  Walpurgisnacht? Halloween? Ramadan?

Yes.

Well I said "holidays" to be open ended and inclusive, my Hebrew brethren.
For me: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and orthodox Easter.

Lumpy

I don't trust the dial/calibration on my elderly stove for something like that. I do like long slow cooking times though.

I bought a turkey, I'll probably cook it breast side down, so that the thighs are on top. The skin on the breast doesn't crisp up that way - who cares. It's more important that the breast meat stays moist. Some people flip the turkey, mine is 14 pounds, I'm going to leave it alone.

mortlock

The bar/resturaunt i usually go to on thanksgiving isnt going to open for dinner this year. Im fucked.

Lumpy

renfield

My apartment smells very good. This slow roast thing was a good idea.

Lumpy

My turkey was a bullshit "10% saline solution" type thing, and slightly gross because of that. I was hella thirsty last night after eating the two wings and picking the carcass.

Plywood

I just cooked up in a skillet: oil, Italian hot sausage, onions, sliced potatoes, lots of Tillamook Cheese = heart attack, so worth it.

Traditional Thanksgiving dinner, not for me... but for the pumpkin pie that I got from my sister.

Lumpy

mortlock

Found a new place to go for thanksgiving dinner. It was pretty fuckin good. They had a sweet and white burbon mashed potato blend that was the best thing ive had in my mouth in recent memory.

jimjom

Not a holiday recipe per se but take a look at this quick stir fry I whipped up and give me your thoughts. Very reasonable in cost and overhead. Hope you all enjoy this picture. There are Brussels sprouts, spinach, small noodles, butter to brown the Brussels, to crisp the noodles, spinach because it's malleable threw some sriracha in while cooking to add some heat and garnished with a drizzle of it. I'd say this is a $20 meal at a restaurant on special and $25-30 not on special. Enjoy! Also this is a vegan recipe if you use oil not butter. Salt and pepper to taste while cooking. Enjoy this one while you're wrapping gifts in the next week. -Jom out!

I'm Red Jr.  Who are you?

Jor el

Speaking of Garbage Plates

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

You can stir-fry brussel sprouts? That sounds... crunchy.

jimjom

Quote from: Lumpy on December 20, 2018, 06:58:21 AM
You can stir-fry brussel sprouts? That sounds... crunchy.

They were one of those steam in the bag deals so I microwaved them to soften them up first.

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Jor el

Steam in a Bag ?

Make it $75

What Would Scooby Do ?

jimjom

Quote from: Jor el on December 20, 2018, 11:00:52 AM

Steam in a Bag ?

Make it $75

I didn't have time to cook real sprouts those are just as good and many top chefs use frozen vegetables such as peas. Ever eat a raw b. Sprout?

Lumpy

Is that a piece of fish on top? Looks good.

Jor el

Looks good, but he doesn't know what it is.

What Would Scooby Do ?

jimjom

Quote from: Lumpy on December 20, 2018, 07:35:57 PM
Is that a piece of fish on top? Looks good.

It is fish, it's fusion. Thank you for saying it looks good! I emailed my mom a picture of this dish and she agreed.

Jor el

I don't care for Fish

What Would Scooby Do ?