anyone else rocking old kustom tuck and roll stuff?

Started by justinhedrick, April 07, 2011, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i currently have a kustom 2x15 in my setup and a buddy of mine has offered me another one (albeit a slant one as opposed to the straight one i already have) for $180 w/ NOS EV speakers. anyone using these for the stoner/desert/doom?

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

my bass player had one of the 2x15s. I loved it because when the van stopped suddenly and that cab came flying at the back of my head from behind me there was at least some nice padding to cushion the blow. It sounded fine to me back then but everything souned fine to me back then, I wasnt the cork sniffing gear snob i am today.

bass sic

hayseed

Not rocking it ...but i see so much of it for sale! I don't know too much about Kustom but there is a constant flux of that gear on my local Craigslist and and used stores. Most of the time it is dirt cheap unless some jackoff learns that "vintage" may equal big bucks! 
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justJon

There's one 2x15, and was a 3x15, at a local used gear shop, but they were loaded with crap "Red Dragon" or some such crap, audio/auto hifi Chinese made speakers. nearly grabbed the 3x15, just for cool factor, but couldn't justify the expense, when I factored in the cost of three decent replacement speakers. Back in the day, the ones loaded with JBL's or Altecs were absolutely the shit. (and yeah, I remember that far "back in the day."
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Hemisaurus

Don't be down on generics, some of them can rock hard. Fane was pretty generic.

bass sic

I remember those Kustoms were being pushed hard at the Guitar Center in Huntington beach around 98 or so, and I thought they were low budget shit. Was I wrong? Did I just play through a shitty one?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Send me all your crappy generic speakers, that you no longer want :)

bloodofkings

I used to play a KBA200 head. I picked it up dirt cheap, something like $50. It sounded great for bass and guitar. I liked the whole look like a 57 Chevy vinyl covering it had. I really dug the tone. I played it for a while and it just wasn't loud enough for gigging. I wound up lending it to our guitar player when his head blew up. He's been playing it ever since.
I can't crap for shit.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 08, 2011, 07:32:02 AM
Send me all your crappy generic speakers, that you no longer want :)

me too. CTS, Jensen . . . those are generic, aren't they?!

justJon

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 08, 2011, 12:09:20 AM
Don't be down on generics, some of them can rock hard. Fane was pretty generic.

If that was for me, I didn't say generic, I said "crap." I tried the cab with those speakers, and it sounded like trying to play bass through the little portable, transistor AM radio I had in the Early '70's. Crap.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Woody

I picked up a silver tuck n roll 1x15 bass cabinet a few years ago. Replaced the old speaker and it sounds great. Use it mainly as an auxilary. Sometimes when the sound at a place is shitty our drummer uses it like a monitor so he can hear the bass.

eddiefive10

saw a gold sparkle Kustom k200 for $250 today, told the guy he was nuts!!!

db3jed

I've got a Kustom 250 head and a 2x15 cab (both in black) in storage.
They're in "heavily gigged" condition.
A friend of mine gave me the stack several years ago and told me that the amp had issues.
I've never taken the time to open it up and suss out what's wrong with it.
I'm not even sure the speakers in the cab are any good.
It'll make for a cool project whenever I get around to messing with it though.

eddiefive10

do you have facebook, the guy has a account on there, Wards Music in Ogdensburg NY, its in nice shape I just think its expensive

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

omie

I've got a 67ish Kustom100 2x12. First 'rig' I ever bought.  It use to have a sweet ss overdrive with the bass all the way up and the highs all the way down.. beauty.. One of the speakers finally tore and I replaced them with a pair of 40 year old 12's from a standell bass amp and it's not the same... i use it as my practice amp at home.

I purchased one of the late 90's red sparkle 400TRB SS with tube preamps and a matching 2x15 and 4x10 from ebay in '01 or so. My guitar player had a 70's laney full stack that was LOUD AS FUCK and the Kustom kept up but it was could not break up and the tone was generally ass... I used a m-80 with the distortion blend at about 9 to pick up some slack on the tone.... with all the bass specific pedals out nowadays.. I'd do it again if I could find one.. I sold it to make rent in '04.

Yeah.. it's not for eveyone.. I just got a thang for naugahyde pleating and red sparkle.. I'm not ashamed.
... real talk

LogicalFrank

Not what you're asking about but I have one of these and it's awesome:

Fuzz on it is retarded sweet. Won it in a contest too so it was free too. 
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

omie

... real talk

justinhedrick

that's awesome. i still have my 2x15. i go back and forth on thinking i want to get rid of it to get something else. it just looks so cool. i wish i had a 2x12 or one of the 4x12s to go with it. matching set!