Tiramisu

Started by lftwng4, March 18, 2019, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lftwng4

So yesterday was my first attempt at making Tiramisu.
The recipe I followed was fairly simple and supposedly authentic.
Only contained sugar, egg whites, egg yolks, mascarpone, ladyfingers, strong coffee, amaretto.
I whipped the egg whites to what I thought was the proper consistency, and they seemed OK.  I carefully folded them in with the yolks/mascarpone, and that seemed OK.  But...
After I assembled it I let it sit in the fridge for 5-6 hours, but when I cut into it the egg whip mixture seemed to lose it's fluffiness.  Still tasted good, but it wasn't very solid like I've had before.
Anyone got any ideas about this?   Rager?

renfield

I just watched a Great British Baking Show episode where they had to make Tiramisu and it looked difficult as fuck

RAGER

I'm not much of a baker but the type of mascarpone used can make a difference I've read. Use nothing but good quality full fat low moisture type. None of the fat free low fat crap. Besides it's a dessert so go all out.
No Focus Pocus

lftwng4

I'll look around at other supermarkets and see if I can find another brand.  There was only one offered, and I wouldn't know if it's high or low quality.  Good advice though, thanks.

mortlock

I might do a cookin show episode for that but probably not because I don't make or eat desserts.

Lumpy

Nothing to add except Tiramisu is amazing.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on March 18, 2019, 05:30:15 PM
I might do a cookin show episode for that but probably not because I don't make or eat desserts.

I'm the same way. Box of doughnuts or a box of fried chicken. I'll take the chicken every time.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

I never have room for desert dessert.

(I have all the time in the world for desert, obviously)

lftwng4

I'm not big on desserts either.  Tiramisu is the only one I'll order at a restaurant, but I'd like to get good at making it, as most people don't know what it is.  It would be nice to be able to share it at get-togethers.