Ozzy Osbourne - Speak Of The Devil (1982)

Started by Isabellacat, January 15, 2020, 04:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isabellacat

Brad Gillis shreds on this \m/ To the point he rivals Iommi in his own work. Sarzo and Aldridge in a really tight pocket the whole show. Ozzy's greatest and at his peak in his vocals also imo. This whole album is fire \m/ :p

lftwng4

I disagree 100%.  I hated Brad Gillis' guitar work on this(or any) album.  I thought it was a great disservice to Iommi's stuff.  All of it sounds like Night Ranger. 
I can't speak to the rest of the band, as I couldn't get past the guitar.
Of course, that was 35 years ago, maybe I'd change my mind if I'd give it a listen, but I just thumb past it when I'm digging through my records.

Isabellacat

The version of Symptom of the Universe sounds way better than the studio version here. But that's just my opinion! 

I'm pretty sure there's a ton of stuff that you like that I probably hate.

Lumpy

I don't think I've ever listened to this record. I was a big Sabbath fan in the 70s... I don't remember exactly, but I was probably turned off by the idea that they remade the songs with different musicians. I remember the "biting the head off a bat" thing around this time was kinda dumb too. They were making him into a cartoon character, it was a drag at the time.

Remember when Ozzy was looking like Liz Taylor... not just the hair, but the kaftans and muumuus too.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Isabellacat

lol Ultimate Sin era.

Gawd this site hates 90% of everything. However the official Black Sabbath forum loves this album,go figure.

Isabellacat

Also this is way better than your precious Colour Haze by far at least,they suck ass. This album got more love in the real SR.com circa 2000 too.

Jor el

You must be smoking the Good Stuff tonight, Isabella

What Would Scooby Do ?

Isabellacat

No I'm completely sober today,no weed til the weekend.

Guess it's a hipster thing now to hate on Ozzy solo but to praise crappy boring bands like Colour Haze!?

To each their own though. This album kicks ass!!!!!  :)

lftwng4

I've always felt the first two Ozzy solo albums are pretty solid, probably because they were a reflection of his energy after he left Sabbath, and Randy Rhoads.  But after he died, it really went south.  Maybe MTV and the advent of hair metal played a part in that too?  I dunno, I don't try to overthink these things.  I like it or I don't. 

RacerX

This album sucks ass—Gillis' work is shaky at best—he had like a week to learn all the stuff & step in—and Ozzy's vocals are sung through a battalion of Eventide harmonizers (the favored technique in the pre-autotune era).

My copy even SMELLED bad.
Livin' The Life.

Isabellacat

Quote from: lftwng4 on January 16, 2020, 07:41:18 AM
I've always felt the first two Ozzy solo albums are pretty solid, probably because they were a reflection of his energy after he left Sabbath, and Randy Rhoads.  But after he died, it really went south.  Maybe MTV and the advent of hair metal played a part in that too?  I dunno, I don't try to overthink these things.  I like it or I don't.

Actually Speak still retains the energy that Ozzy had after leaving Sabbath! Better than Live Evil(which says alot cuz that's a cool one)and even better than Live At Last! But that's just my opinion,and I know my opinion isn't very well respected in these parts oh well. Black Sabbath's Reunion is prolly the only one that's better than this. Somehow I like the energy on this record better.

Despite the use of doubling his vocals,and a few tracks which weren't even recorded to a live audience,it's still a solid record. I love this album the same reason I love KISS' Alive! You know some of it isn't really live(studio trickery),but the energy is wild and Ozzy's stage banter on this is his best imo.

When people were actually scared of him and thought he was evil,this version is badass!

Was super scared of the album cover as a kid too. Looks tongue in cheek today but that was some scary shit for the 80's.

renfield

Quote from: Isabellacat on January 15, 2020, 10:40:18 PM
Also this is way better than your precious Colour Haze by far at least,they suck ass. This album got more love in the real SR.com circa 2000 too.

Did we ban her for this?

RacerX

Quote from: renfield on March 11, 2020, 11:22:49 PM
Quote from: Isabellacat on January 15, 2020, 10:40:18 PM

Did we ban her for this?

I think she just killed herself.
Livin' The Life.

RalphSnart_2

I'm just listening to this for the first time, it's not bad. Only live Ozzy I ever had was that Randy Rhoads Tribute which I had on cassette 20 years ago and I have no idea where it is now.

I'm just not really about live albums as much as I used to be, a lot of times they feel kind of redundant to me if I have all the studio stuff. I think if I'd heard this back when I started getting into Ozzy's 80s stuff, I'd be more attached to it. But now it's just "hey, here's some vintage live crap, that's cool."

I don't think Brad Gillis sucks on this, but then again, I like the first Night Ranger album. Dawn Patrol!

edit: I could have sworn they did a version of "Black Sabbath" on that Randy Rhoads Tribute but there's actually only three Sabbath songs on there and that's not one of them. It looks like Rhoads wanted to stay away from that material and Sarzo wasn't too keen on it either.

Isabellacat

Taking shrooms to this was rad. This album rules..Renfeld you suck for that comment,ur buddy racer asshole X got banned instead haha.

Since my last post I befriended Brad Gillis also. This album slays. :-*

longviewcaps

This DLP is a fun listen/headbang. Racer X is a douchbag with a bit of shit in it.
Sansui Marantz Rotel Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Luxman Klipsch

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Isabellacat

Good...better vibes since  ;D

Anyways I caught Ozzy's live NFL performance on FB yesterday at the last minute. Dumb NBC didn't air the whole thing but it's good people on FB livestreamed it.

Not sure I'm into his new stuff as much but it's good to see him back. I looove Ozzy so much lol.

longviewcaps

"Cash Grab" or naught: It's an olde '80's (Live) DLP as good as it's cover, i reckon.
Sansui Marantz Rotel Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Luxman Klipsch