Main Menu

Tube Screamers

Started by beardofcthulhu, April 11, 2011, 09:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardofcthulhu

I have a TS10 that I've owned for around 20 years.  I bought it for bass fuzz, and it was indeed great for that application.  Let's get some distinction between the various Ibby models, and some of their clones.  I know the hand-wired 8 is the be all-end all, but I'm not plunking down that kind of money for any pedal (unless it's a new-in-the-box blessed by Uffe Cederlund HM-2).  I like what the 10 does for my VTM.  It rounds off the edge and just makes it sound delicious, but if I'm going to run the VTM clean, I'm going to need a little more grit...and I don't think a distortion box is the way I want to go.  But, aside from what I'm after, let's talk Screamers.  Go.
Peace through volume.

mortlock

i need to get one for bass..

justinhedrick

hayseed

Please don't forget to include any info on the Ibby Bass Tube Screamer(that is if anyone cares to elaborate on the different models)....the curiosity is killing me. 
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

neighbor664

I've got a Maxon OD-808. I dig it.

grimniggzy

Quote from: neighbor664 on April 12, 2011, 12:13:07 AM

Somehow, I'd assume this is the way to go.

I feel like the price on all the Ibanez versions is just too high to justify for me (I mainly play bass, not guitar).
The only Ibby one I think I'd try would be the Turbo Tubescreamber but I really think my RAT's have me covered in this area.

Although, I did just order a Modded Digitech Bad(der Bass) Monkey off of talkbass for $60, seemed more price effective for my overdrive needs right now.

Instant Dan

I thought you could get a used TS for cheap compared to Maxon. I have a love/hate relationship with the Boss Blues Driver. Sounds great with any guitar with humbuckers and bleh with single coils.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Instant Dan on April 12, 2011, 02:32:31 PM
I thought you could get a used TS for cheap compared to Maxon. I have a love/hate relationship with the Boss Blues Driver. Sounds great with any guitar with humbuckers and bleh with single coils.

I mean for what you get with the Maxon Vs. what you get with an Ibby TS you may as well spend the extra for the maxon. Keep in mind I meant for use with bass, I'd assume any TS will get you through for guitar.

hayseed

This link explains the tube screamers pretty well:
http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

neighbor664

Quote from: grimniggzy on April 12, 2011, 11:12:06 AM
Quote from: neighbor664 on April 12, 2011, 12:13:07 AM

Somehow, I'd assume this is the way to go.

I feel like the price on all the Ibanez versions is just too high to justify for me (I mainly play bass, not guitar).
The only Ibby one I think I'd try would be the Turbo Tubescreamber but I really think my RAT's have me covered in this area.

Although, I did just order a Modded Digitech Bad(der Bass) Monkey off of talkbass for $60, seemed more price effective for my overdrive needs right now.

Maxon is certainly not a cheaper knock off. The originals were made in the same factory. Mine's a reissue. If I remember correctly it was $160.

If you are looking for a cheap TS to use for bass one of those "sound tank" ones will do the trick nicely. My bro used  to use one, it pushed his SVT into monstrous tones.

grimniggzy

for clarification: I never said a Maxon would cost me less than an Ibanez. What I was trying to say is if I was spending $75 on a dead stock Tubescreamer, I'd almost certainly rather pony up the rest of the cash for a Maxon.

beardofcthulhu

What's the general consensus on the Bad Monkey?  I'm not a fan of Digitech by any means, but if it's good, it's good.  It looks like everyone has their own "green" pedal, it would be nice to know which ones need to be avoided.  The GFS model is looking mighty attractive to me right now...
Peace through volume.

grimniggzy

I think the Bad Monkey is awesome for $45.

Guarantee 90% of an audience wouldn't know or care about the difference.

h.p. lovecraft

Dirt cheap I know but IMO I always liked the SD-1 more than any TS version.

Plus, its got the "elusive" 808 chip already inside!
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." -- Me

Fuhgawz

MI Audio Blues Pro. Like a TS, but more bass and a lot more gain. Also check the Boss OD3 for the same reasons, although it has less mids.

Stonergrunge

Quote from: grimniggzy on April 18, 2011, 01:23:09 PM
I think the Bad Monkey is awesome for $45.

Guarantee 90% of an audience wouldn't know or care about the difference.

While the other 10% (geeks like us) wouldn't know "unless" we could see the pedalboard... in that case, yes we would.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

LogicalFrank

The thing about tone is it is really for you as a musician and not the audience when you get right down to it. If you got the general sound, nobody else will know or care whether you've spent the last ten years trying different chips in your overdrive pedal. That said, it is really important that your tone feels right to you so mod on modders.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Chovie D

theres a guy on craigs list  locally advertising his pedal mods. he says incredible shit like "This mod will take that nasty midrange hump out of your tubescreamer!"...motherfucker that midrange hump is THE sound of a tubescreamer. haha. mod? why dont you just take the guts out of my tubescreamer and put a metal zone in there?