Low salt diet

Started by neighbor664, November 16, 2021, 12:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

I've been trying to watch salt for a while. However unless preparing everything from scratch it is really hard to find even the simplest food items without some salt/sodium added. For instance bread: I've only ever seen one brand of no salt bread, and almost never can find it the grocery stores I'd go to.
The newish roommate is a dickbag that has ruined cooking for me, and now I just want to get in and out of the kitchen before I feel the need to bash him over the head with a fry pan. That coupled with convalescing in my room for the last going on 2 months has setback my efforts to eat more healthy. I've been preparing some meals in my room thanks to a hotplate and electric kettle, but take-out has been happening more and more. now that I'm mobile again I've got to double down on my efforts to eat better. So far my best idea is to start eating more raw veggies and fruit.

mortlock

fortunately for me im a hot sleeper. i fucking sweat like i ran 30 miles in 100 degree heat. tons of salt pours out of me every night. even in the winter. i tend to crave salt.

RAGER

There's a lot of sodium in processed convenience foods. Get a mini fridge for your room too.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Quote from: RAGER on November 17, 2021, 10:06:15 AM
There's a lot of sodium in processed convenience foods. Get a mini fridge for your room too.

I've had one forever. I have shifted from mostly using it for beer and snacks to actual meal stuff. Lucky for me I've had years of practice living out of hotel rooms.

RAGER

Sucks you have to even have roommates.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Quote from: RAGER on November 17, 2021, 01:29:27 PM
Sucks you have to even have roommates.

When I had to make the move after having my own place for a decade it was demoralizing. I am currently unemployed/furloughed, no longer getting unemployment, living off my very small savings. It's hard to imagine it changing for the better anytime soon. Knowing that thanks to how the pandemic has been handled, unless I fall into some improbable luck I (at almost 50) will have to find a new career as if I was some drop-out kid fresh out my parents house. I could go on but this isn't the thread for it.

RAGER

The wrong thread for this but....is there anything related to your field you could move into?  Preferably in a sales/rep type of thing?  Is there any specialized equipment you know in and out and could pimp?  Consulting maybe?  I was an RV Tech too long. I should've gotten into commission sales sooner. I totally had the edge over all the other sales people. Just trying to help.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

There are jobs to be had, I just want nothing to do with the trappings of working in that industry post pandemic. I was working a specialized niche of A/V that is the support equipment for simultaneous interpretation. I fell into working for a renowned but small company after vowing to never, ever work hotel audiovisual again. I felt pretty lucky and for a few years actually felt like I loved my job. A rare thing for me. I got to travel I had the respect and support of my peers. I was essentially the West Coast face of my company. We were then bought by a major hotel A/V company and it pretty much took all the joy and chances for advancement out of the equation. I've been mostly relegated to warehouse duty and red headed step child of the parent company.
I worked on it so long that while I was doing that conventional A/V all went digital and there's a whole new crop of gear and children running it.
Now post pandemic everybody across the board has been furloughed, only the most mercenary, desperate and gullible are currently working for the mega corporation.
The job I was doing basically has become some form of warehouse IT instead of traveling to cool locations etc.
Audiovisual sales people are pretty consistently douche bags, I never ever want to be one. I've always tried to steer far away from the money side of that industry. Those people are fucking gross!

Honestly, I'd feel more enthusiastic about finding something music related. Maybe busking?

RAGER

Oh believe me. I've worked with every kind of degenerate in the RV biz. Addicts, alcoholics, psychos, deadbeat dads, con men, liars, losers of all sorts. That's why if you have your shit together and know what you're doing, you will shine and sometimes achieve autonomy to just do your thing. And the money is usually good in sales. If your good with money and can hack it for a while you can build a nice nest egg.

But I get it if that's not your thing. It just worked for me.
No Focus Pocus