Did some picklin'

Started by James1214, September 24, 2022, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

Lemon cucumbers, hot lemon cucumbers (included a lemon drop fatali and a jalapeno) tomatoes, tomatoes and peppers (a combination of of pepperoncini, jalapeno, cherry peppers and lemon drop fatali) and just the peppers. Simple brine of water distilled white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, salt, garlic, dill and peppercorns.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

RAGER

This'll probably be me again tomorrow.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

subscribed! James1214, those jars look great.

TLDR; Sockeye layered in Kosher salt in reefer for 24hrs.

Stoked to pickle a small jar or two of Sockeye. Would any of these compliment?; star anise, cassia, fennel, clove, corriander, sichuan peppercorn, whole garlic in honey and lemon. I've got Bay leaves! I've got distilled 5% white and, honey-apple vinegar. I plan on sliced red onion in one jar. I need more jars!

I just read about 5 recipes..this could go on and on. I have anchovy fish sauce too. Just need to pick an ingredient or 3 and see what happens. What fun!

RAGER

Totally forgot about pickling fish. Thanks yor the reminder. Ice hot a bunch of sockeye still.

For pickling I would go pretty simple.

Mentioned pickling shrimp recently and wife turned her nose up but I remember the last time I made it she loved it. Who knows.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

I needed to do something new, just for sanity purposes.  I've canned and dried something on the order of 30 lbs of tomatoes. And I love adding pickled ones to cheese plates and salads, chopping up and making a relish with dill pickles and peppers for dogs and burgs.

words

Pissy

Pickling fish is one of those things that people who try it love it, but the idea is what turns them away. 
Vinyls.   deal.

James1214

Pissy, you talkin' pickeled, like herring? Or more like fermented stuff akin to fish sauces and the like?

words

Pissy

[size=78%]So i guess the former.  There's an age old method everyone in the midwest uses to pickle Northern Pike, because pickling it dissolves the bones, and there are TONS of bones in a pike.   [/size]
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

You could always do what Alaskan Inuit do. Bury the heads in a burlap sack under some rocks in a tide pool for a couple weeks.

The AI voice is hilarious in this.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Muffin Man

Sockeye two flavors trial run. Coated in Kosher salt 24hrs, rinsed, then soaked in distilled water overnight.

Brine base:
2 parts white vinegar, 2 parts water, some sugar, some Maille whole seed mustard (just needed the seeds and there are 2 kinds it seems), 2 little whole cloves.

Seasoning:
Small jar got 1 clove, sliced red onion.
Large jar; trial blend of Mexican oregano, sweet soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil - warmed then cooled, then drizzled lightly over salmon, sliced red onion. Waited for 4 hours (could go overnight) then brined.

Waiting 3 days - hoping it works!

RAGER

Nice man!  I'll do some this week.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Here's my Salmon pickling oil thingy if anything, a photo. Warming some toasted sesame oil, sweet soy sauce, oregano. Got the idea from an Alaskan Salmon pickling recipe somewhere...something about vegetable oil and Salmon and pickling (I just referenced the recipe and did this semper-gumby. they used only vegetable oil). I'm on it with extras but might be awhile before the measures are exacted...or tossed but I love all 3 of these individually. And I hope the infusion compliments the purpose here, pickled Salmon. Not a huge risk.

that's a mini one egg pan, so approx. 2oz of oil mix. I love the dots.