sunn/hemi: how do i intonate my guitar properly

Started by justinhedrick, April 15, 2011, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LogicalFrank

I am neither of those people. However...

You need a tuner and a screwdriver.

Step 1: tune string
Step 2: pay string at twelfth fret and check tuner
Step 3: if note at twelfth fret is high, adjust saddle so that it moves towards the butt of the guitar and hence makes the string longer. If note is low, adjust it toward the neck to make the string shorter. If it is fine, you're done.

Repeat as needed and for each string. The big mistake I made when I first tried was to just try to adjust the saddle until the twelfth fret was in tune. You need to adjust a small amount, retune the open string and then check again. It is a trial-and-error fine-tuning sort of deal.

The whole guitar must be more or less in tune for this to work. Completely perfect intonation is impossible on a fretted instrument. Sometimes you gotta just get it as close as you can. For low tunings on Gibson scale instruments, I sometimes just have to adjust all the saddles all the way back and that's as close as I can get it. Lower action helps.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

thanks frank.

now, do i have to play the 12th fret note, or harmonic?

LogicalFrank

You need to fret the note. The harmonic should always be in tune... Or, actually, I think it is very slightly out of tune for some reason that escapes me.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Hemisaurus

Quote from: LogicalFrank on April 15, 2011, 11:24:50 AM
I am neither of those people. However...

You need a tuner and a screwdriver.

Step 1: tune string
Step 2: pay string at twelfth fret and check tuner
Step 3: if note at twelfth fret is high, adjust saddle so that it moves towards the butt of the guitar and hence makes the string longer. If note is low, adjust it toward the neck to make the string shorter. If it is fine, you're done.

Repeat as needed and for each string. The big mistake I made when I first tried was to just try to adjust the saddle until the twelfth fret was in tune. You need to adjust a small amount, retune the open string and then check again. It is a trial-and-error fine-tuning sort of deal.

The whole guitar must be more or less in tune for this to work. Completely perfect intonation is impossible on a fretted instrument. Sometimes you gotta just get it as close as you can. For low tunings on Gibson scale instruments, I sometimes just have to adjust all the saddles all the way back and that's as close as I can get it. Lower action helps.
What he says, though Erik claims it's impossible to properly intonate without a stroboscopic tuner, I've never owned one of those, though there is an app for that ;)

Baltar

Thanks for posting this, I usually do it myself but it can be tricky.  The tips are appreciated.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

justinhedrick

yeah, i saw what eric said. and while i see his logic, i've seen guys intonate crappy guitars with a boss tuner and it worked great, but i realize there are other factors here.

i will work in this this evening.

i wonder if i can download a free strobo-tuner?

VOLVO)))

I usually do the open string, fretted 12th fret, then for really fine tuning I do the harmonic/12th fret. Then if I'm feeling froggy, check at the 24th fret harmonic to see how bad it is up there. :D

Peterson makes a really nice stobe tuner. I use my Pitchblack, it gets it close enough for government work. I can hear if it's bad, I'll just adjust by ear, then.

It's easy, just don't go overboard.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on April 15, 2011, 12:14:31 PM
yeah, i saw what eric said. and while i see his logic, i've seen guys intonate crappy guitars with a boss tuner and it worked great, but i realize there are other factors here.

i will work in this this evening.

i wonder if i can download a free strobo-tuner?
Not that I know of, but Peterson have a strobe app for the iPhone for $5 I think.

One caveat, intonation is always the last step of setting up a guitar, don't intonate before adjusting the truss, setting the action, or changing the strings. :)

inductorguitars

I didn't say it can't be done.  ??? Most tuners aren't accurate as a strobe tuner. You could use tuning forks...

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 15, 2011, 06:36:46 PM
Quote from: inductorguitars on April 12, 2011, 08:00:20 PM
You need a strobe tuner to intonate properly. You can get close without one.

Yea I should of said faster instead of properly.   :-[ I seem to never have enough time nowadays.

crunkhero

Don't forget to hold the guitar in playing position when intonating.  If you intonate while the guitar is on a bench gravity will change how the strings sit and throw it off.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

inductorguitars

Quote from: crunkhero on April 16, 2011, 11:37:47 AM
Don't forget to hold the guitar in playing position when intonating.  If you intonate while the guitar is on a bench gravity will change how the strings sit and throw it off.

Heh I hope yer kidding.

justinhedrick

Quote from: inductorguitars on April 17, 2011, 11:41:28 PM

Heh I hope yer kidding.

well, i've seen folks say stuff like that about the action:

http://www.nashguitars.com/tips_and_downloads.html#action

but not the intonation.

LogicalFrank

I think holding the guitar in the playing position is important. It changes how much pressure you put on the string when you fret a note. I have noticed a difference intonating my own guitars. I can't hear the difference but I can see it on the tuner.

Hemisaurus

In playing position, the weight of the hardware on the headstock might have an effect on the neck bow, flat it's weight pulling it back, in playing position it'll pull sideways stretching the top strings (EAD) and slackening the bottom, I imagine depending on the tightness of the neck joint it may have some effect.

crunkhero

Quote from: inductorguitars on April 17, 2011, 11:41:28 PM

Heh I hope yer kidding.

That's one of the things I was told in one of them there fancy guitar repair schools I went to 10 years ago.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

inductorguitars

Some good points here, I was just laughing at the thought of being able to tell how much the effect of gravity on the strings effect tone/intonation.