I love old, strange, rare shit...

Started by VOLVO))), April 25, 2011, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogfood

Quote from: justinhedrick on May 12, 2011, 11:35:54 AM
Quote from: RAGER on May 12, 2011, 11:00:47 AM
Another amp that the Nuge used was a Fender Super Twin.  6 6l6GC's active EQ @ 180 watts.  I have one from 1975.  I cut off the cabinet part and turned it into a head.  He used 6 of them on stage.

isn't that one of the linear powered ones? SUPER CLEAN? some would say . . . sterile?

compared to what? a line6 pos modelling amp...hell no, but, an EL34 toobed Marshall Superbass...perhaps.
Problem solving whiskey!

LogicalFrank

The snobs will say that about pretty much any Fender after the blackface era... I have a Bassman 100 and if anything the sound from it is too warm for my tastes. Out of all my amps though, it is the one that most needs to be cranked to get good tones so I guess it is a bit sterile sounding if you're using it in the wrong situation.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Chovie D

the ultralinear fenders are clean to the top. some describe this as lacking warmth or being sterile and they can be in my opinion.

Fender was always trying to get more volume with less distortion. They were thinking 'hi-fidelity" which was the rage at the time. The problem is guitar players like a little harmonic distortion, it sounds "warm".

VOLVO)))

I'd fucking kill for a super-twin. I love clean-to-the-top. I'll just run a compressor in front if I want warmth.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

ungh, really? are you a guitar player?

well the ultralinear twin and bassman are common and still cheap if your really want one. The bassmans are about $350-500. Twins a little more.

compressor for warmth?  

edit: holy shit frank, you can "crank" your ultralinear bassman? the ones ive treid have been too loud to get past 3 without imploding skulls.

VOLVO)))

Well, not warmth, I guess. Less harsh bullshit? I use a compressor in front of amps that are really bright. I also leave it on 100% of the time, slightly higher than unity gain, for a little extra-hot. Works great with bass, too.

I am a guitar player, but 180 watts of clean power? Most likely takes pedals like a CHAMP, you can make it sound like you want.

Also, 180 watts would kick ass for bass at medium volumes. If I could find one of the ultra-linear bassman heads, 135 or something, I don't think I'd need to search for for anything more.

They do a decent not-so-dirty-not-so-clean tone, crankkkkked. Which I <3.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

I havent found one I could crank, or even get past three.  They do make good bass amps in my opinion.

What Ive found, and this is just my preference, we all have our preferences i guess, is that an amp with even a tiny bit of harmonic distortion will make your pedals really sing without sounding fizzy. It seems to push it over into that warm blissfull feedbacky zone where i like to spend the bulk of my time, especially for leads. so my point is even with pedals, I still want SOME tube overdrive happening even if its just subtle and being blanketed with a pedal. The pedal is there but the amp is also adding to your sound. For high gain sounds this means pushing it over the top into crazy land (controlled singing feedback with near infinite sustain)but not fizzville, or for moderate gain sounds it means a tubescreamer can work its magic the way it was intended to, by overdriving the tubes as opposed ot cranking the gain knob on it...the pedal is there but the pedal AND amp are shaping the sound.  For this reason tube amps between 40-60 watts work best for me live, and lower wattage for home. Your gonna have some angry neighbors if your cranking that 135 at home. Fucking lower your sperm count too probably, calcify your bones...shits is loud G

VOLVO)))

I feel ya. Since they aren't considered collectors items, or even "desirable" to the snob-o-blues-lawyers, I wouldn't feel too horrible about modifying the preamp a tad bit to make it like I wanted it.

Looking for the tube chart.

EDIT:7025s in the preamp, two of 'em. My Sonaro only has one. It's dirty at it's top end.

I could easily make it work.

EDIT EDIT: Guys on other forums are super dicks about these. "Blah blah rare tubes wahh cry" fucking christ, we have the INTERNET we can find anything if we look hard enough.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

my silverface showman is 80 watts (its a 68, they went up to 100 watts  later).
Its too fucking loud for me to use in its sweet spot which is at about 8 on its volume knob.
IMagine abnother 40 watts of clean headroom on top of that.  :o

actually I dont have to imagine becuase  I own an ultralinear 1968 Sunn1200s which is 120 watts.
as a guitar amp, which is what it was intended to be,  its near uselss. i use it for bass and it is excellent for that.
I gigged it once with 2 4x12's and a 2x15 and poeple were practically throwing up from the sheer volume.

My 40 watt guild thunderbass sounds WAY Better tho.

regarding your mods, You might also be interested in the silverface fender pa100 head which i see used sometimes for $300. It is ultralinear and has four channels. By just adding different tone stacks you can mod one channel to be a twin, use another channel for bass, etc.
talk about sterile tho, without those tone stack mods its icepicky

LogicalFrank

Quote from: Chovie D on May 13, 2011, 04:11:25 PM

edit: holy shit frank, you can "crank" your ultralinear bassman? the ones ive treid have been too loud to get past 3 without imploding skulls.

Oh shit, I guess only the 70/135 were ultralinear so mine, which is a 100, is not. I was referring more towards post-blackface Fender's in general though. The Bassman 100 is loud as balls but, you know, it's 100 watt tube amp... In one band I was in, I actually used two of them at once, a full plus a half stack. That was fucking unreasonable. They seem to sound best around 8/9 like you said for your Showman. Get kinda muddy after that.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

RAGER

Regarding my super Twin.  Yes it's clean clean clean.  lately I've been using it into a 69 Ampeg 8x10 with a super Overdrive in front coupled with my 69 SuperBass into a 4x12.  i get my midrange with the Marshall and that low end that you feel more than hear with the Fender/Ampeg.

The Fender/Ampeg rig sounds great too with a P Bass.  Not really loud but good.  My buddy plays that for our Friday night stoner jazz jams while I play drums. :)
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

^yup Frank, okay that makes perfect sense now.

the 135 is a ball crusher. i only got my 80 watt showman into its sweetspot one time. i was afraid to try it again. shit was falling off the walls, glasses breaking, dog paniced,etc

a regular twin can hurt you too. the ultralinear is just scarry.
Ive posted this pic before but heres Double Live Douchebag jumping off his. notice the dudes arms behind the stacks holding the twins from behind so they dont tumble when he jumps.

, thats alot of power Rager. :o :o

VOLVO)))

Whatever, if people don't want them, I'll happily buy them for cheap and mod them. haha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

go for it, let us know how it sounds.

If didnt already have a nice bass amp Id buy a 135 for bass.

RAGER

Quote from: Chovie D on May 13, 2011, 06:03:24 PM
^yup Frank, okay that makes perfect sense now.

the 135 is a ball crusher. i only got my 80 watt showman into its sweetspot one time. i was afraid to try it again. shit was falling off the walls, glasses breaking, dog paniced,etc

a regular twin can hurt you too. the ultralinear is just scarry.
Ive posted this pic before but heres Double Live Douchebag jumping off his. notice the dudes arms behind the stacks holding the twins from behind so they dont tumble when he jumps.

, thats alot of power Rager. :o :o
Those are Fender's special "Nuge tilt back arms"
No Focus Pocus

Worthless Willie

I bet it was fucking LOUD with their heads shoved in the backs of those amps.

Poor bastards.  Made deaf by a racist, Republican douchebag.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

Fuck you guys, Uncle Ted is the MAN. I don't agree with his politics, but I certainly agree with some deer, and some GREASY FUCKIN' GUITAR PLAYIN!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 13, 2011, 10:48:02 PM
Fuck you guys, Uncle Ted is the MAN. I don't agree with his politics, but I certainly agree with some deer, and some GREASY FUCKIN' GUITAR PLAYIN!
I thought that was Buckethead with the grease on the fingers. Got to love a guy that gets his guitars made bigger, so they don't look so damn silly  ;D

Ranbat

Free, off Craigslist. Stromberg-Carlson PA w/Jensens and an old EV 630 mic.
Meh :/

Ranbat

Also free off Craigslist. 1957 Dynaco Mk III power amp. early version w/KT-88 tubes.

Ranbat

Pawn Shop find. Love the vibe of this amp! Does it sound good? It sounds unique. In the case of this one I'll take vibe over tone.

Would love to have the Twin Reverb version of this line. They also had a Bassman and one other I can't recall at the moment.

Worthless Willie

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 13, 2011, 10:48:02 PM

No, fuck you, Peckerpants.  I didn't say shit about his playin'.

Wanna fight?
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.