Main Menu

most rugged guitar?

Started by justinhedrick, May 02, 2011, 03:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

this past weekend I was discussing with a friend various guitar related questions and we got to discussing the most "rugged" guitar. the one that you could beat the hell out of it, take it all over the world and it will still perform.

i said it had to be either the start or tele for several reasons.

what are your thoughts?

LogicalFrank

Tele over Strat since the tremelo can be problematical.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

that's true. this guy was a big player in the local bar circuit in the 80s. he said that one time a guitar player showed up at one of their gigs w/ mud/crap all over his les paul because they were playing a party the night before and a mud fight broke out. he said that it looked like someone threw it in the mud and stomped on it. but it still worked and the guy rocked for almost 4 hours that night.

Hemisaurus

Something with an aluminum neck maybe, probably a Kramer Duke over a Steinberger. I've also known people talking about their TB's taking a real kicking. Wood has problems with rapid humidity changes, and it doesn't like flying.

hayseed

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

The Shocker

Quote from: hayseed on May 02, 2011, 06:42:45 PM
Strat or an SG.

Really?  Gibson necks snap all the time...

rayinreverse

if i had to choose one guitar to take all over the world to use, and needed the least amount of downtime for repairs I would take a Telecaster.
they can be body routed for nearly any pickup. necks are available in spades and found anywhere. any reasonable person should be able to get good tone out of one. and they are dead sexy.

Lumpy

For basses, Fender Precision. You can knock them over, drop them from waist high, and when you pick it up, very often it's still in tune. Jazz Bass probably the same.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

a fender of any kind..tele/strat/jazz/precision..you can fight with a fender..you can throw one down a flight of stairs and it wont even go out of tune..

Isabellacat

i agree with Mort..i've had my Fender Strat since '93 and hardly ever had a problem with it. only problem i had was back in '94 , the wires in the input jack got messed up,but an old friend soldered it back for me and it's been cool ever since..for 17 years.

bloodofkings

I'm gonna have second (or third) the P Bass and Jazz Bass. In a fit of equipment not working, I fired my Jazz Bass halfway across a club. After I was done with my hissy fit, I picked it up plugged directly into the amp and found out it was a fucked up patch cord.  The bass was only a half step out of tune and had a few scratches on the back of the body. I still have the bass. It's been dropped, knocked over, thrown, I even stood on it once and yanked strings off of it.
I can't crap for shit.

Baltar

Another vote for a Tele.  My Squire Custom has been really reliable, and if the neck snaps, just drop in a new one.  Thanks for whoever posted that first.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Chovie D

telecaster for common guitars

all aluminum guitar is the correct answer tho.
Electrical Guitars. Buzzo said the airlines snapped the headstock off his LP Custom a dozen times. Now he plays an Electrical and i suspect thats a large part of the reason he does.

telecaster tho...you can do this with it and it will still be in tune afterwards

neighbor664

Strats and Teles! They are not indestructible but damn near. I have thrown and kicked around and jumped on my Strats many times. There is no piece of gear more beautiful to me than a beat to shit Strat. The things that will give way are easy enough to fix.
Those things being the bolt holes on the neck. Even when everything else holds up the wooden threads can give way, I've had to re-dowel and re-drill the screw holes on one of my Strats five times since I'd bought the guitar in 94. I've kicked the shit out of that guitar!

Stevie's #1 has been through some serious shit.

hayseed

Quote from: deaner33 on May 02, 2011, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: hayseed on May 02, 2011, 06:42:45 PM
Strat or an SG.

Really?  Gibson necks snap all the time...
Can't say i ever had one snap on me...now my Ibanez EX Series from when i was in high school however, 2x!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

mortlock

in total agreement with neighbor664, there is nothing better than a beat to shit fender..hell they even came up with the very gay and cheesey models that are pre-beat up. you buy them that way.

we all know that doesnt count though..

h.p. lovecraft

I think a Dan Armstrong Plexi is pretty sturdy and the headstock can double as a harpoon if necessary.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." -- Me

Hemisaurus

As recommended by Captain Ahab :P

grimniggzy

Quote from: h.p. lovecraft on May 04, 2011, 12:08:24 PM
I think a Dan Armstrong Plexi is pretty sturdy and the headstock can double as a harpoon if necessary.

Yeah, these things were made to be stage instruments. The bridges don't even adjust. And they just work everytime.

Love my Plexi-Bass, this reminds me, I need to put a fresh set of rounds on her.

Chovie D

with a telecaster, you can clean a limit of crappie on the back, then flip it over and play 5 sets at Bobs Country Bunker  :o

justinhedrick

chovie, i'm literally laughing my ass off right now. awesome.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus