What's the most you've ever paid for a guitar?

Started by The Shocker, May 03, 2011, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

I guess I'm one of those rather have 2 $500 guitars (or 3 $300) than 1 $1000 guitar guys, but lately I've been getting the bug to get a new guitar that is well over what I've previously spent.  For the record the most I've ever spent was on an Ovation Deacon for $700.  

So what's the most you've spent on a single guitar?  

LogicalFrank

I am cheap about these things too. As far as I can tell, more expensive guitars offer zero non-cosmetic advantages over cheaper ones as long as you know a thing or two about setups and adjustment. Most I've spent is on a Gibson SG Special which are like $700 in today's money but I think it was like $600 when I bought it. The other is a G&L Tribute ASAT which is one of the best sounding guitars but had a real shit setup and needed a lot of work. That was $500 like five years ago.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

250 bones. I mostly trade and receive shit free.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

$225. but then i got it refinished, added new pickups, it still needs new tuners. but still $225.

Hemisaurus

$50, but that was for 2 so splitting it evenly $25.

bloodofkings

Man you guys make me feel like a blues lawyer. $700 is the most. Buying an instrument for me is an emotional thing. I walk into a music store play everything on the wall two some of them three times. Until I find the instrument that feels absolutely right. No amount of setup or fiddling does anything for that emotional part of it for me.
I can't crap for shit.

I,Galactus

Looks like I'm the big damn spender around here...  8)

$900 for my ibanez ikebe music 7 string w/ ohsc

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

bass sic

Now I'm feeling like a rich snob for paying 1500 for my stingray. Actually it feels good to feel rich.

Instant Dan

900, I have thought of saving up and getting an Orville by Gibson but the money should go towards amps, pedals, and useless shit.

The Shocker

eyeprod

I paid $750 new for my first SG; an early 90's standard. It was cheap cuz it had a blemish. I put that on layaway, and it took me months to pay it off. I might have also paid $750 for my ibanez custom agent, but I'm thinking it was 7.
CV - Slender Fungus

Ranbat

Meh :/

rayinreverse

I paid 750 for an SG-Z in 98. Promptly returned it 3 days later. I sort of regret it.

mortlock

i dropped $750 on my fender jazz..that was 1992..its still my main bass today..had other basses come and go but never paid more than that..cash out of pocket, but ive had equally valuable basses through trades..  

Lumpy

I paid 900 for a Fender Precision 57 American Vintage reissue. It's sweet, but I'm neurotic about knocking it over. Sometimes I think about selling it - my main bass is a Japanese Fender P that I paid 400 for (plus shipping).

Deaner that Mustang looks really nice. Fender, single coils, FTW.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

lordfinesse

Billy Squier 24/7

Lumpy

Heh, you added that Ovation Deacon pic later... that thing is cool!

Unusual guitars... I like them.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Eastwood makes a clone now. You can get it with tremolo or without.

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on May 04, 2011, 05:09:37 AM
Heh, you added that Ovation Deacon pic later... that thing is cool!

Unusual guitars... I like them.

Yep, it was a cool guitar - very comfortable.  Sold it of course...

grimniggzy

Never over $1000
I was close with my USA P-Bass
Next closest is my Ampeg Plexi-Bass Reissue, it was $850

Then, there is a pretty big gap between those 2 and the rest of my instruments.
Out of all my other guitars and basses, the next closest is a MIM Fretless Jazz for $450

A little extra: The most I've ever spent on an amp is $500 for a '73 Sunn Coliseum Bass

ROWDYBEER

$1,300. My tobacco burst 1979 Yamaha Sg. So worth it.

Jake

I've shelled out a few bucks for gear, but usually it's a result of accrued money from flipping stuff and making a tidy profit. Because, you know, I ain't rich.

$1,400 for my '74 Custom (in 1997)
$2,300 for my '55 Junior
$2,700 for an aged Pelham Custom Shop (the middle one, long gone)

poop.

The Shocker

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on May 04, 2011, 10:12:56 AM
$1,300. My tobacco burst 1979 Yamaha Sg. So worth it.

A Yamaha SG is on my shortlist...

The Shocker

Quote from: Jake on May 04, 2011, 10:36:14 AM
I've shelled out a few bucks for gear, but usually it's a result of accrued money from flipping stuff and making a tidy profit. Because, you know, I ain't rich.

$1,400 for my '74 Custom (in 1997)
$2,300 for my '55 Junior
$2,700 for an aged Pelham Custom Shop (the middle one, long gone)

That Custom Shop one is the SEX!  Gorgeous.

Chovie D

How much is the new mustang?

I'm always drawn more to the vintage gear so I never even consider buying a new guitar.

I guess my most expensive electric guitar the only one i bought new would be the strat I bought (with alot of help from relatives) in 1979 for $599.

My other guitars have all been in the $300 range.
83 explorer
72 SG
72 Guild acoustic
cheap mexi tele
eastwood baritone

paid about 600 for a dobro, and 800 for a new martin D16, 900 for a pedal steel

If it makes you feel better, look at it this way. at least we arent into boats or harleys or airplanes or some other uber expensive hobby. You can burn thru three or four of those mustangs juts steping thru the doors at a Harley shop and buying some chrome.