What's the most you've ever paid for a guitar?

Started by The Shocker, May 03, 2011, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

True.  I don't even golf anymore & that was expensive.

The Mustang is $1200 with $120 shipping from Japan.  It's brand new. 

And it's relative I know.  Cheaper than a lot of new Gibsons & better quality too...

grimniggzy

Hemisaurus

Quote from: deaner33 on May 04, 2011, 12:24:58 PM

And it's relative I know.  Cheaper than a lot of new Gibsons & better quality too...
I dunno, there's a lot of stigma in the US attached to non-US instruments, if you came to resell it, it might be way down in value. If you plan to love and cherish it forever, that's probably not a consideration.

I always figured if I ever needed guitars for touring I'd just buy two or three Dean Evo's and be done with it.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 04, 2011, 02:55:03 PM
Quote from: deaner33 on May 04, 2011, 12:24:58 PM

I dunno, there's a lot of stigma in the US attached to non-US instruments, if you came to resell it, it might be way down in value. If you plan to love and cherish it forever, that's probably not a consideration.

I always figured if I ever needed guitars for touring I'd just buy two or three Dean Evo's and be done with it.

hemi, i don't know if you are serious or not, but i'd like to think you are. if you are, i like the way you think! (is that poetry, or what?)

Hemisaurus

Dead serious, at the time they were like $99, they're up to $119 now, but 2 humbuckers and a slab of wood with a solid bridge for cheap.

The Shocker

MIJ Fenders are not stigmatized. 

Also, I'm pretty sure all Mustangs (guitars, don't know about basses) are made in Japan now.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: deaner33 on May 04, 2011, 03:08:50 PM
MIJ Fenders are not stigmatized. 

Also, I'm pretty sure all Mustangs (guitars, don't know about basses) are made in Japan now.
Maybe the musicians round here are a little more redneck  :-\

Lumpy

How can anyone look at a Fender guitar from 2 feet away, and know it's Japanese (unless you like Fenders, or happen to know a lot about Fenders - meaning you probably like them)? The only way anyone can tell my bass is Japanese is by looking at the serial #.

Made in Japan is probably better quality than made in Mexico. It's a great option if you want a Fender and don't want to pay top dollar.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Lumpy on May 04, 2011, 03:27:24 PM
Made in Japan is probably better quality than made in Mexico.

No probably needed in that sentence.
The Japanese workmanship is far superior IMO.

Dave J

I recently paid $1900 for my 2008 Les Paul Standard.  I am truely a blues lawyer though. 8)
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Fuhgawz

1200 euros for a used Gibson Iommi SG:

It is awesome though. I also have an SG Faded for 550 and an SG Classic for 700.

johnny problem

Only ever bought one guitar.  Paid $499.99 for my Epiphone SG-G400, back in 2005.

db3jed

$999.95 for a 2005 Gibson Explorer 76 Limited Edition, new.
AMS worked their 5 payment plan for me so I figured why not?
Zero regrets 'cuz it's the guitar I've always wanted.
Prior to buying it I had three different early 80's models slip through my fingers in different deals for different reasons.
When this one popped up "on sale" at AMS I jumped on it!

giantchris

$1,300 for a Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo new a couple years back.  Right now I didn't "buy" it but I traded a cabinent for a guitar amp for my current bass which is worth about $1,000 to $1,200 give or take (its a weird model kinda rare its a Zon Concorde for one year in the 80s Zon made a "cheaper" brand with no options its basically a sonus without as fancy wood)

I got rid of the Rickenbacker when I got sick a couple years ago.  I think I might sell the Zon too playing guitar more nowadays and prefer playing a 6 string bass lately dunno yet.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

doomhawk

1900 for an '82 LPC silverburst which i then took and traded it (still have my 79) for both a '90 LPC black beauty and '96 Gibson Lucille... TOTALLY worth it. 

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MikeyT

Quote from: doomhawk on May 11, 2011, 06:51:31 PM
1900 for an '82 LPC silverburst which i then took and traded it (still have my 79) for both a '90 LPC black beauty and '96 Gibson Lucille... TOTALLY worth it. 

Let me make sure I understand that post-

You're telling me you traded one '82 Les Paul Custom for a '90 Les Paul Custom AND a '96 BB King Lucille ?

That's a heckuva deal, maestro.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

LogicalFrank

People like those fucking silverbursts. I blame Tool.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

RAGER

I think I win so far or maybe I lose :P

Just a hair under 3k for my '78 Les Paul Standard in Wine Red

No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

Quote from: RAGER on May 12, 2011, 11:07:33 AM
I think I win so far or maybe I lose :P

Just a hair under 3k for my '78 Les Paul Standard in Wine Red

Best color for a Les Paul IMO

eyeprod

wine red is a sweet color for an LP. That's a lot of money tho!

crazy deal on that silverburst trade. That's awesome
CV - Slender Fungus

dogfood

Oxblood rules.  logically I don't like oxblood but everytime I see one I get raging stiffy...go figure.
Problem solving whiskey!

doomhawk

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 11, 2011, 07:04:58 PM
FUCKIN' DOOMHAWK IN THE HOUUUUUSSSEEEE

YO MANG!!! good to be back...it took like 4 months to get my f'n confirmation email.  i blame you!!! haha.

and yes it was a total straight up trade for the other two guitars (with cases, totally original) i did this at guitar center actually.

i also blame tool.