Main Menu

Fender Blacktop Series...

Started by RacerX, May 03, 2011, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Woh. Rosewood fretboards, humbuckers, low price—what's not to like?

The Jazzmaster not only has a fat singlecoil in the neck, but a 'bucker at the bridge, AND!!! no stupid little pickup switches.

3-position toggle.

Note: I have never before seriously considered purchasing a Fender guitar.

Nice.
Livin' The Life.

hayseed

I really like the looks of this series of Fenders. I have yet to play one but they look killer
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Jake

poop.

LogicalFrank

"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Chovie D

fender has had alot of variance in their necks lately(past ten years). In particular, Ive seen many new fenders with the frets sticking out beyond the fretboard slightly. i think theyve been using wood that hasnt been properly cured all the way. the necks are still "green" and contract a bit, leaving the frets sticking out

I mention this because if you are buying your first fender guitar, you may wanna have a hands on experience with it before paying.

Heres the thing about fenders in my experience... they require a certain amount of give and take from the player. Not to get all Jack White on your asses but you have to kind of fight the guitar a little bit, it doesnt just play super easily like a gibson...hard to explain. another way to say what I am getting at is fenders tend to have character and a personality unique to the guitar, each one seems a tad different to me. The personality of the guitar or the way you have to work a littel harder with a fender...makes me play better, brings out the best in me. For me, this makes fenders my favorite brand of guitars.

Hemisaurus

I just assume their QC is shite, which is why lots of people recommend go to the store, play a bunch of Fenders, go home with the one you like. You can't just pick up a Fender and think it's gonna be a good one. The best playing one might be a Squire, or it might be a MIM.

RacerX

Yeah, thanks for bringing that up.

If I do get around to buying one, it'll be a result of hands-on testing.
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

I hear that all the time - "QC control for Fenders is bad". Granted, I am not a big guitar shopper (I never go to Guitar Center and play a bunch of guitars) but in my limited experience, I've never come across a bad Fender instrument. I've never seen a bad one. I guess they had some problems in the 80s? The current guitars are supposed to be as good as anything they have ever manufactured. Even the Squiers are supposed to be good now.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

My Squier Duo-Sonic was just about perfect.

Shouldn't have sold it (like most every guitar I've owned).  :'(

Lumpy

Stop selling your cool guitars!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

Yeah, for reals.  I had a Gibson SG-100 at one point too...

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on May 04, 2011, 03:35:59 PM
I hear that all the time - "QC control for Fenders is bad". Granted, I am not a big guitar shopper (I never go to Guitar Center and play a bunch of guitars) but in my limited experience, I've never come across a bad Fender instrument. I've never seen a bad one. I guess they had some problems in the 80s? The current guitars are supposed to be as good as anything they have ever manufactured. Even the Squiers are supposed to be good now.

I dunno, ive just heard that this was a recent issue and I own a mexi tele that does in fact have this issue.
Its not a huge problem, after two years the wood has cured and the frets are now flush to the neck on the sides as they should be.
IN the 70's some fenders received a THICK polyester undercoating beneath the paint. These are often described as "dead" sounding, but my 79 strat appears to have this and sounds fine to me..I think David Gilmour uses the exact same guitar and it does not sound 'dead;' to me.
late 70's fenders had three bolt necks, and these were undesireable for a long time. now they are actually desireable it seems a they issue the david Gilmour custom 79 strat and such.

Honestly I think Gibson has the most variance in quality, but really Id have to play any guitar before I bought it.

RAGER

i would totally consider one of those Tele's with the HB's
No Focus Pocus

xander face

i work at the second biggest music store in the city that i live in

played about a dozen Blacktop Series Fenders

they are all fucking RAD.

The Strat, Tele and Jaguar all use the same Fender-brand humbuckers that are kind of crappy.  The Jazzmaster uses Duncan Designed pickups that sound great.

Get your favorite set of replacement humbuckers and any of them could be great...or just get the Jazzmaster and play it as is.  I've been seriously wanting one of those sunburst Jazzmasters since the line was launched...the fact that all 5 that have come and gone through my shop have been equally bad-ass doesn't help me any.

mawso

Baltar

"In particular, Ive seen many new fenders with the frets sticking out beyond the fretboard slightly. i think theyve been using wood that hasnt been properly cured all the way. the necks are still "green" and contract a bit, leaving the frets sticking out."

I've had my Squire Tele Custom for about 3 years now and two of the frets seemed to have pretty good until recently.  I'm starting to get fret buzz, but I am in a basement apt. now.  Otherwise, I'm really stoked on it.  It's got the Ducan Designed P90's and they're nice and bright.

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

LogicalFrank

I use on of those tele customs for the body of baritone and the guitarist in one of my bands uses one (modded to have three p90s by yours truly). They are truly great sounding guitars.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

MikeyT

Quote from: Baltar on May 10, 2011, 08:03:14 AM
"In particular, Ive seen many new fenders with the frets sticking out beyond the fretboard slightly. i think theyve been using wood that hasnt been properly cured all the way. the necks are still "green" and contract a bit, leaving the frets sticking out."

I've had my Squire Tele Custom for about 3 years now and two of the frets seemed to have pretty good until recently.  I'm starting to get fret buzz, but I am in a basement apt. now.  Otherwise, I'm really stoked on it.  It's got the Ducan Designed P90's and they're nice and bright.

I'm thinking P-90's sound great on Telecaster style guitars.

And here's some evidence: Big Sam playing some hot licks on a $159 Douglas guitar.
                                                                                       ( Available from Rondo music )

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Jake

Saw QOTSA last night and TVL was rocking this Blacktop Fender for a good chunk of the show. He musta signed some new sponsorship with Fender, because it was all Jaguars and custom Jazzmasters all night.

poop.