Main Menu

School me on speakers!

Started by Pundan, May 05, 2011, 12:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pundan

So I play A# "sludge-ish"/doom on a Gibson SG running through a Matamp GT1 and a Marshall 1960B cab. I think the cab I have is loaded with 4x G12T75 speakers.
So now I have to have a Matamp 4x12 to go along with my amp, and I asked them for prices. They charge £599 (that's 989$ in today's exchange rate). I think I can pretty much get any speaker that I want but they gave me this list:

G12M  25wattX4  100watt
G12H  30wattX4   120watt
V30    60wattX4   240watt
H100  100wattX4  400watt

Do you guys have any recommendations, because I don't know jack about speakers.

Worthless Willie

I'd go with the G21H, or the V30's.

Personally, I'd probably go for the V30's.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

I go for higher wattage speakers because I want more round, louder cleans. Also, I use two 4x12's for bass occasionally, and they need to be able to handle lows and wattage. ^.^
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Volume

Speakers have a huge effect on your tone, but changing and mixing them is very easy and not too expensive. I have v30's in my Orange 4x12, my Marshall cab is loaded with 2 v30's and 2 G75's. Both sound good, the v30's are pretty much standard in Orange cabs and I guess the Matamp is similar, so they are a safe bet.

Danny G

I've had 4 G75's, 4 V30's, and an X of both in my Marshall cab.

Like 4 V30's best, then X of V30's/G75's.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

peyotepeddler

i dig the v30's in my cab, they are said to be a bit bright, but my tone is rather dark so its a nice compliment

Pundan

Thanks for the replies guys! Seems like the V30 is the most common choice, even outside this board. I've looked for some speaker comparisons on YouTube as well and from them I really think the V30 sounds the best, but all these videos are made in standard tuning and everyone plays some kind of blues lick.

As I said, I'm new to this and it's just recently that I've understood how much of a difference a speaker does to your sound. I'm just a little bit anxious about choosing the V30 because it does really sound trebly and bright on all videos. Anyone have experience with V30s and more of a YOB/Unearthly Trance-like sound?

RacerX

Vintage 30/G12H combination rules, IMO. Fat bottom, detailed mids and just enough treble on top.
Livin' The Life.

peyotepeddler

Quote from: Pundan on May 05, 2011, 11:25:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! Seems like the V30 is the most common choice, even outside this board. I've looked for some speaker comparisons on YouTube as well and from them I really think the V30 sounds the best, but all these videos are made in standard tuning and everyone plays some kind of blues lick.

As I said, I'm new to this and it's just recently that I've understood how much of a difference a speaker does to your sound. I'm just a little bit anxious about choosing the V30 because it does really sound trebly and bright on all videos. Anyone have experience with V30s and more of a YOB/Unearthly Trance-like sound?

i don't think you will have any problems getting fat tones with the v30's, they will break up sooner than a higher wattage speaker, keep that in mind

you have the foundation to do sludge no problem, cheers man, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Jake

What Racer said. That's a great combination.
poop.