Main Menu

Clip-on tuners

Started by LogicalFrank, May 05, 2011, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LogicalFrank

Anyone use these or have a recommendation for a good one? It seems to me like it'd be easier on stage to turn down the volume on my guitar and clip one of these guys on rather than either have people hear me tuning or use the mute on my pedal tuner which I am always forgetting to turn off.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

i've wanted to try one. it would be easy to pass between me/the bass player. but he might know how to use it!  ;D

but then again, sun splitter wouldn't have that problem.

LogicalFrank

I think it'd actually be the guitarist in my other band who'd end up stealing it... I didn't realize quite how cheap they are. I am just gonna check out one of these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Snark-Instrument-Clip-Chromatic-Tuner/dp/B003VWKPHC/ref=lh_ni_t

If I wind up using it, I might upgrade but these seem to get about as good of reviews as anything so far as I can tell.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Volume

Seems very cheap and practical, saves space on the pedalboard and one less pedal in the signal chain (if you have your tuner in the chain). I might have to get one of those. Another plus would be that you can easily tune backstage.

LogicalFrank

One of the biggest for me is my pedal board will then be exactly one pedal which means no short patch cables. I hate short patch cables.

crunkhero

The Snark tuners are the best clip on tuner I've tried.  It registers pitch faster than my korg pedal tuner.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

hayseed

For some reason i have troubles with tuners and bass guitar. Specifically they don't seem to pick up the bass very well and it takes forever to tune. How are these for bass?
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

I can try and find out for you, a buddy of mine just started using one, we're meant to jam tomorrow so I can mod his amp.

Some people suggest you tune with the 12th fret harmonic on a bass, using a tuner, which is fine if you are sure you are properly intonated.

I have seen a ton of people use them recently, but they're not foolproof Jon Langford sent his flying across the stage, during a particularly frenetic piece of playing :)

crunkhero

Quote from: hayseed on May 05, 2011, 09:56:33 PM
For some reason i have troubles with tuners and bass guitar. Specifically they don't seem to pick up the bass very well and it takes forever to tune. How are these for bass?

The Snark works down to dropped d with no problems. 

If you're having problems with a tuner, try turning the tone knob all the way down while tuning.  Sometimes the abundance of harmonic overtones cause the tuner to jump around a bit.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

LogicalFrank

Got the Snark yesterday... Seems to work well on everything I've tried it on so far. Actually, seems like it's a little more accurate/sensitive than the Korg tuner I've been using around the house. I'll see how it holds up in a band situation.

mawso

these things clip onto the headstock?  are they any good in loud environments, like onstage when other players are soundchecking?

LogicalFrank

I am wondering the same thing myself but probably won't use it in such a situation until Wednesday.... It seems like it should be OK though. You can set it to sense the vibrations in the wood rather than using its microphone.

Burdt

This is actually a great idea. If it cuts out a pedal from the chain, saves you a hundred bucks and works in a live environment, i'm completely sold. Worried about that last point, though.

VOLVO)))

I bought one the other day. I used it to tune a bunch of shit. It's kind of neat, clip it on random shit. Works on cups, light fixtures...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Burdt

Man I've been trying to tune my light fixtures forever. My off-key lighting has caused some real embarrassment in social situations.

LogicalFrank

Mine has been working fine at really loud band practice for what it's worth. I haven't really tried to make it fail or anything but it's not been a problem. The guitar I'm playing stays in tune really well (re-issue Super Swede) so it doesn't matter all that much to be honest. It works well enough that I'm not worried about using it on stage so I will try it at our next show.

RacerX

Resurrecting this thread. I just picked up the Zoid clip-on, and it's the tits. I got it home, clipped it to both solidbody electrics, my Baby Taylor, and my lap steel, and had 'em all in tune in no time, without plugging anything in. Using the sensor rather than the mic is def. the way to go. Using a fingertip instead of a pick helps, too.

Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

i think i might grab one of these. 1 less thing to plug in.