anyone have any recomendations for a good solid state channel switching head?

Started by justinhedrick, May 24, 2011, 04:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

background: i need a head to compliment the tone of my peavey VTM 60/rat pedal combination and some reason i have it in my head (pun intended) that a solid state amp will fit the bill.

i want to run all my effects (including my rat peda) into my vtm60 and have the solid state head for cleans/on board distorted tones. so when a distorted part comes up, i'd have to hit the channel selector and the rat pedal at the same time (i'd figure that out later).

so, are there any heads out there that will give me some good tight (solid statey) distorted tones and nice cleans? i've been looking at peavey supreme heads (the transtube ones, not the xl or whatever) but i wanted to get your suggestions.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 24, 2011, 04:29:38 PM
Ampeg ss140

cool. that's the cannibal corpse head, right? isn't there a crate head that is almost identical?

Hemisaurus

Guitarist from my old band is selling a SS150 for $215, and that all Tube Peavey Deuce is back on sale for $200.

The Crate head is the 130 something or other G-130CXL, Freightshakin Bob has one, only one of the two channel works and it still outpowered a Peavey Rockmaster running two 4x12's last week, bloody loud solid state 60W I've even used it for bass.

Hemisaurus

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/msg/2374140549.html
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/msg/2399514796.html

Nearest G-130 is in Madison WI and they all seem to be combos.

You ever think fuck it, and fuck the back ache, by a Crate Powerblock and a boost pedal ;)

I'm guessing the power amp idea was a wash out?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 24, 2011, 06:04:43 PM
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/msg/2374140549.html
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/msg/2399514796.html

Nearest G-130 is in Madison WI and they all seem to be combos.

You ever think fuck it, and fuck the back ache, by a Crate Powerblock and a boost pedal ;)

I'm guessing the power amp idea was a wash out?

oh no, the power amp totally works. i'm just looking for different tones, you know?

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 24, 2011, 05:54:47 PM
Guitarist from my old band is selling a SS150 for $215, and that all Tube Peavey Deuce is back on sale for $200.

The Crate head is the 130 something or other G-130CXL, Freightshakin Bob has one, only one of the two channel works and it still outpowered a Peavey Rockmaster running two 4x12's last week, bloody loud solid state 60W I've even used it for bass.

hmm. the ss150 the head or the combo?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on May 24, 2011, 08:10:48 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 24, 2011, 05:54:47 PM

hmm. the ss150 the head or the combo?
Head afaik

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 24, 2011, 07:15:03 PM
I wish I had 215 bucks plus another 600 for the shipping.
UPS quote $31.29 to ship a 40lb package from Springfield, IL to Tallahassee, FL :)

VOLVO)))

It isn't just 40 pounds, it's like 65. Shut up. I was trying to talk myself out of making a mistake.

dickhead.  :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Nope, unless the 150 differs drastically from the 140, Ampeg list it as 40lb for the head, 65lb for the combo ;)

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 25, 2011, 05:25:47 AM
Nope, unless the 150 differs drastically from the 140, Ampeg list it as 40lb for the head, 65lb for the combo ;)

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

zachoff

I have an old 70s Earth SuperBass that's basically the same thing as the old Peavey heads & ROWDY used it one night when I forgot his head.  It sounded pretty darn good to tell you the truth.  I got it for $125 & spent another $80 getting it cleaned up and the power cord and a couple inputs replaced.  Anyway, my head doesn't have a footswitch, but the head is foot-switchable.

Hemisaurus

Hey Justin, how about this one?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/2401614114.html

Half of a G-130, which is fine, as you need a stereo cab or two cabs to get the full 130W out of the G-130 as it's two completely separate amp sections, and they aren't bridgeable :-[

Bob's only works on one channel and kills through a 4x12 anyways.

justinhedrick

thanks for the heads up hemi. I actually found a guy who is going to sell me a 100 watt peavey bandit for $150 (pretty sure i can get him down to $125) with the footswitch. the reviews make it sound pretty good, and i figure with a graphic EQ in the loop it will sound pretty good.

Hemisaurus

That the red ones, the transtube? I think they were the only ones that had an external speaker jack. I think it was an 8 ohm internal speaker, and you could go down to 8 ohm on the external and it would push a 4 ohm load. You'd have to disconnect the internal speaker to drive a 4 ohm cab (or just to shut up the internal speaker).

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 26, 2011, 09:39:57 AM
That the red ones, the transtube? I think they were the only ones that had an external speaker jack. I think it was an 8 ohm internal speaker, and you could go down to 8 ohm on the external and it would push a 4 ohm load. You'd have to disconnect the internal speaker to drive a 4 ohm cab (or just to shut up the internal speaker).

yeah, that's the one. i was going to get the supreme head (basically the bandit in head form) but i figured for about the same price i can get a speaker with it, that i can use when i dont' want to use the 2x15 with it. i haven't seen the back of the amp, did they not just do what every other amp manufacturer does and run a speaker cable from the internal speaker to a speaker jack?

Danny G

Had a Peavey Supreme 160w ss head for a long time, sounds good (dirt channel is actually pretty good) and rugged as a tank.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

justinhedrick

cool, thanks danny g. i figure if i can get it for under $150 w/ the footswitch it will be a good deal. 100 watts should compete fairly well with my VTM60.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on May 26, 2011, 12:30:29 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 26, 2011, 09:39:57 AM

yeah, that's the one. i was going to get the supreme head (basically the bandit in head form) but i figured for about the same price i can get a speaker with it, that i can use when i dont' want to use the 2x15 with it. i haven't seen the back of the amp, did they not just do what every other amp manufacturer does and run a speaker cable from the internal speaker to a speaker jack?
I don't think so, because they figure you might want to run the internal in parallel with an external. Basically it's a 4 ohm amp that puts out 100W or so, with just the internal 8 ohm speaker it's putting out maybe 70-80W, if you hook up an external 8 ohm cab you get the 100W, if you want to run a 4 ohm cab, you have to disconnect the internal speaker, can't remember but I'm guessing it'll be open backed, so just a matter of reaching in and pulling the wires off the speaker.

You could fit a 1/4" jack to the internal speaker and just plug it into the external speaker jack, or drill a hole and fit a toggle switch to the back that will allow you to turn the internal speaker off and on, or just leave it as is, and pull off the wires if your 2x15 is a 4 ohm cab.

justinhedrick

hemi, is there anything you DON'T know?

i'm hoping to get this thing next week. now i just need to figure a way to turn on my rat pedal AND switch the channels of the peavey head with as few stomps as possible . . .

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on May 26, 2011, 04:41:47 PM
hemi, is there anything you DON'T know?

i'm hoping to get this thing next week. now i just need to figure a way to turn on my rat pedal AND switch the channels of the peavey head with as few stomps as possible . . .
If you're wanting to be really slick, you could replace the switch in the RAT with one of those bypass switches with the extra pole, add an extra jack to the RAT and one press would turn on the RAT and switch the channel.

You could add relay switching to the RAT but that would probably be way more difficult.

justinhedrick

i thought of that rat trick already! (great midwestern minds, huh?!)

but i need 2 switches: one for the distortion and 1 for the reverb, but i think when you have something in the loop (like an eq) that controls the loop. maybe not ???