picked up a 60's melody maker the other day

Started by doomhawk, May 25, 2011, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doomhawk

loving it.  has had a couple different pickups in it over time.  has a 60's ish p90 in there now.  missing the lame trem too, which im fine with.  totally stoked, plays super rad.  oh and its pelham blue! woo

MikeyT

Cool !

My first electric was a brown 60's Melody Maker. It sounded kind of Spy Music / Yardbirds-ish. Very tough, gutsy sound- single coils- I'm not sure if they were P-90's or another Gibson single coil. Might have been slightly weaker than P-90s, either way, they rocked. Definitely heavier than Strat pups. I was able to play a cool version of 'Superstition' on it !
It had what looked like a bone handled whammy bar on it. Worked fine.
It had a small neck, too, which was just about right for my hands.

Used to jam with a guy who was into Yes & ELP & Classical with that little guitar.
Surprisingly (to me), the tone seemed to fit well with what he played.

If I remember right, I paid $225 for it. This was about '72, maybe ?
Sold it eventually & got a cherry sunburst Les Paul Deluxe for $350 (w/hard shell case). Of course that was a fair amount of cash at that point in time, but even then it was cheap for a Les Paul. Asked the guy why he let it go so cheap & he told me he didn't want to have to screw around with a lot of people coming over to his house, etc.

I'd love to have either of those guitars today. Blast it.  >:(

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

The Shocker

Yeah, I always loved the Melody Maker pickup in my SG-100.  Kind of a cross between a P90 & a tele bridge pickup.  Love that Pelham!

eyeprod

cool. I had a 65 melody maker double cut not too long ago, but traded it to a friend. I don't really miss it, but it was a cool little guitar. enjoy yours!
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

Quote from: doomhawk on May 25, 2011, 05:17:31 PM
loving it.  has had a couple different pickups in it over time.  has a 60's ish p90 in there now.  missing the lame trem too, which im fine with.  totally stoked, plays super rad.  oh and its pelham blue! woo

How ya like that wraparound?
No Focus Pocus

doomhawk

i dig it - obviously not the best for tuning/intonation but i ordered a new tonepros compensated wrap around the other day so when i gets here i'll be stoked.

Isabellacat

that looks really nice.....but only one pickup and it's single coiled??? wonder how that sounds through distortion..

The Shocker

Quote from: isabellacat on May 26, 2011, 06:46:13 PM
that looks really nice.....but only one pickup and it's single coiled??? wonder how that sounds through distortion..

Uh, Isabella.  Listen to some Mountain records for some one pickup single coil (P90) tone...

Isabellacat

Hemisaurus

Quote from: doomhawk on May 26, 2011, 12:26:26 PM
i dig it - obviously not the best for tuning/intonation but i ordered a new tonepros compensated wrap around the other day so when i gets here i'll be stoked.
Am I right in thinking that it's only compensated for standard E tuning, as it's non-adjustable ???

MikeyT

^
  Hey, that IS pretty cool.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Worthless Willie

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Jake

Nice score. What's the neck like on that sucka? Lovin the pelham.
poop.

doomhawk

neck is sweet.  alot like my tele actually.  pretty thick, but no baseball bat.

VOLVO)))

It's rad that the clear is still on there...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Very jealous. Sounds like a great neck for that thing (a baseball bat makes those SGs neckdive somethin fierce).
poop.

xander face

NV

i have a green SG with just one P90 in it but

nothin like that

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.