Main Menu

Any good apps for musicians

Started by neighbor664, May 26, 2011, 06:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

I've just joined the hoards of iphone toting douches. Can any of you iphone and android users recommend some apps that a musician may find useful? Free is good. I've got a tuner and metronome but what next?

neighbor664

Hemisaurus

Yeah, Amplitube and all those apps are generally free, but they want $30+ for a $5 cable. Do a google search, you can use a $2 AV cable and a jack adaptor to do the same job.

mortlock

id like an ap that would allow you to pick up groupies and fuck the hell out of them..

inductorguitars

Quote from: mortlock on May 26, 2011, 11:17:29 PM
id like an ap that would allow you to pick up groupies and fuck the hell out of them..

grinder?   :o

VOLVO)))

A tuner since all of you fuckers are out of tune, all the time. Fucking musicians.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Fuhgawz

TC Electronics makes an iPhone app version of their Poly Tune pedal. It's not free but it can be handy.

neighbor664

I've been finding a few drum loop and jam tracks aps that have been making masturbating practicing more interesting.

justinhedrick

my wife wants me to get an iphone 4 as well. i am smart phone dumb, but if there is a version of garageband or some sort of sampler app for it, i'd be down like a clown.

anyone know of something like this?

Hemisaurus

I'd recommend against the Apple and go with the Android, Apple's are too locked down, and they're not very good at the multitasking. It irks the fuck out of me I have to fire up iTunes just to get an MP3 of it, I can plug the Android into the USB on the car stereo after practice, and listen to it. Plus Apple isn't to good at file sharing between apps, so if I download a file, I can't move it so that I can watch it, hear it, edit it, stupid.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 22, 2011, 04:47:43 PM
I'd recommend against the Apple and go with the Android, Apple's are too locked down, and they're not very good at the multitasking. It irks the fuck out of me I have to fire up iTunes just to get an MP3 of it, I can plug the Android into the USB on the car stereo after practice, and listen to it. Plus Apple isn't to good at file sharing between apps, so if I download a file, I can't move it so that I can watch it, hear it, edit it, stupid.

dumb question: but do they have droids for AT&T?

clockwork green

I think the iphone is great.  It's simple to use and figure out...maybe because it was my first smart phone but all of the android's just seem weird and out awkward to me.  I'm not a fan of my sister's galaxy.  Having songs on the cloud is pretty awesome, I just hope they add movies next.  They're all fucking amazing devices though.  I can listen to an absurd amount of music whenever I want especially when you throw in pandora, spotify and bandcamp, I can take great pictures I can look shit up on line if I ever forget or want to know more about something.  There is no one device that'll be 100% perfect for everyone but fuck it, that's like being disappointed that I can't drive a Ferrari and a GTO at the same time.

The "funkbox" is a cool drum machine with a lot of vintage drum machine sounds.  Ampkit is cool because it works with the iriffport which I like a lot better than the amplitube connector thing but amplitube's amp's seem better but they tell me it'll work with the iriffport soon.  The strobotuner is cool and I like the polytune tuning my acoustic because you can hit all 6 strings at once and they all pop up.  The ipad has some seriously impressive apps for recording.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

chille01

Quote from: neighbor664 on December 22, 2011, 03:29:21 PM
I've been finding a few drum loop and jam tracks aps that have been making masturbating practicing more interesting.

Tips please?  I'm on iPhone, and never thought about just jamming along to prerecorded loops.  I might actually "practice" then, instead of just absently fucking around by myself.

Hemisaurus

There's a whole bunch of free loops by the same guy, look for Tabla Loops in the app store.

freedrumapps.com (apple)

chille01

Cool.  Are they just drum loops, or is there anything with other instrumentation?  Specifically trying to expand my improv skills over different styles of music.  I will go look for myself, it just hadn't even occurred to me to think about using my iPhone for it.

Glitchyghost

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 22, 2011, 05:48:43 PM
droid x = bomb, fuck iphone.

Ya know, is it just me, or does it seem like it's usually the non-Apple user that comes out swinging with an aggressive stance?  "Fuck Apple", "fuck iphone".    You like Droid?  Fucking good for you.  Save  your aggressive posturing for your home boys, tough guy.  Choose  your side, but shut your mouth, cause guess what.... no one FUCKING CARES.  

Phew....  Anyway,  yeah  :-\   Someone mentioned Guitar Toolkit.  That thing rules.   Every kind of tuning you could want. Scales galore, too.   If you want to record on the fly, spend the $.99 Recorder.  Easy wi-fi syncing for your recordings, sounds good, etc etc.   Also, they just release Garageband for iPhone. $15, and it's pretty damn slick.

I also like Ultimate Guitar Tabs app.  I don't use tabs too much, but for $2, it has definitely paid for itself already.

Hemisaurus

Funnily enough, I have both. Allows me to form a balanced opinion, I prefer the Droid ;D

grimniggzy

Apple really does limit everything too much. Fucking hate Itunes but I know I couldn't live without my Ipod Classic. ;D

VOLVO)))

Quote from: koi on December 22, 2011, 11:50:50 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on December 22, 2011, 05:48:43 PM
droid x = bomb, fuck iphone.

Ya know, is it just me, or does it seem like it's usually the non-Apple user that comes out swinging with an aggressive stance?  "Fuck Apple", "fuck iphone".    You like Droid?  Fucking good for you.  Save  your aggressive posturing for your home boys, tough guy.  Choose  your side, but shut your mouth, cause guess what.... no one FUCKING CARES.  

How come it seems like somebody always gets butthurt then comes out to try and invalidate someone else's opinion? You like apple? Cool, good for you, save your passive whining for your home boys, tough guy. You've chosen your side, but shut your mouth, because NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

(see? It works both ways.)

How in ANY way was it aggressive? I simply said "fuck iphone," would you have been less upset if I said "fuck iphone, gently?" I had one, it was limited, and the glass screen broke on the first drop. I have negative experience with the phone that caused me multiple days of hassle. That is exactly how I feel about the iphone, so it's a valid opinion.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

James1214

I don't have many, however I went down to the studio yesterday to do a re-intonation on a bass that was getting out of tuna cuz of the weather and I realized that I left my computer at home.  I got a stroboscopic tuner program, which i love. what to do without it? Went onto the market and downloaded a free strobe tuner. Works a charm and was free. Now I never gotta lug the laptop along for that porpoise.
words

VOLVO)))

Yeah, the tuners are ACTUALLY pretty accurate. I was surprised.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.