Main Menu

fender pawn shop series

Started by I,Galactus, June 02, 2011, 12:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Lumpy

The Mustang Special has a master Vol. and master Tone...
http://www.fender.com/products/pawnshop/models.php?prodNo=0266400

The Fender 72 (with the F hole) has a master Vol. and a "blend knob" (center is detente)
http://www.fender.com/products/pawnshop/models.php?prodNo=0266200

The Fender 51 has a master Vol. with push/pull coil splitter, and a three way rotary knob (pickup selector)
http://www.fender.com/products/pawnshop/models.php?prodNo=02660
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Lumpy

Tone is in the fingers, dude.

RacerX

Only so much eq adjustment can be applied with the fingers.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

If it were that simple, we'd all be using Crate Powerblocks for amplification.
Livin' The Life.

LogicalFrank

I was gonna say it is probably a one volume/one tone setup, not separate volumes for each pickup and no tone knob but two of them have no pickup selectors. Strange stuff, Fender. I always kinda dug the look of the '51 when it was a Squier though.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

grimniggzy

If they had a 50's P with an added mudbucker up near the bridge, I'd be down.

The Shocker

I like the Mustang...

Sent from my MB511 using Tapatalk

Chovie D

Fender must sell alot of stupid guitars. Joe strummer reliced telecasters (not a bad guitar actually but who the fuck wnats joe strummers tele? wheres the keith richards model?),  pawnshop series, asshat series, crapton strats, shit i could never imagine anyone wanting to buy.  ???

whats the angle here?  "I heard pawn shop guitars are really cool. I want one!" ???
is this for people who are above, or afraid of, going into a real pawnshop?
Im not understanding this marketing gimmick.
what next? the Craigs List series?

Chovie D

omg i just looked at the links. fucking hideous. "hey lets make some funky pickguards, throw an f hole onto a strat, put humbuckers on a mustang and say these are guitars that never were but should have been, like a protoype that found its way into the pawn shops or something crazy cool and rare like that eh...can we go to lunch now?"

Lumpy

I think they're kinda cool (without having heard any of them). It's not going to be part of their permanent line (unless they sell a lot of them I guess) and it's Fender thinking outside the bun. Nothing wrong with throwing some oddball guitars out there. It will be over soon.

The heavy relic stuff is weird (the Rory Gallagher strat, come on that's ridiculous) and I don't understand the signature models either... it's for collectors I guess? Super-fans?

Chovie D

I'm not against them trying something new, but it looks like they just carved some whacky pickguards and/or threw some old rather mundane features onto guitars that previously didnt have them (f hole on a strat, humbuckers on a mustang).

I dont know what i want from fender, i guess a return to american made with quality? but that would be a return to the 60's and that was what 50 years ago now?

Ive liked some of fenders newer ideas ..the pro jr. the blues jr. that whole series of amps, the supersoninc amp series, the new tweeds, the classic vibe series, the thin skin series, the roadworn series (im not into relicing but those guitars just played well..hard not to like em).

This pawnshop series just seems like one of their less thoughtful, cheap, and clumsy gimmicks to me.

Im a skeptic by nature and a grump so you know...just my opinion.

Jake

I really dig those "mashups." Cool body styles with interesting pickup options. I say kudos to Fender for mixing it up a bit. There's only so many ways to repackage a Strat or Tele.
poop.

Chovie D

they look like Eastwoods to me.  :'(

johnny problem

Chovie, back in '91 Fender made what they called a Thinline Strat that featured an F-hole.  Mind you it was a limited run of 4. They were made by J.T English, if that means anything.

Chovie D

Quote from: johnny problem on June 02, 2011, 07:39:27 PM
Chovie, back in '91 Fender made what they called a Thinline Strat that featured an F-hole.  Mind you it was a limited run of 4. They were made by J.T English, if that means anything.

wow a limited run of FOUR? those must be worth something to collectors now eh?
did you mean 400 or 4000? that doesnt make sense..why only make 4?
off to google em now.

okay they made at least 5...haha.
it appears they also had been pumping out some custom shop strats with f holes (hideous fucking things with gold hardware and non contoured edges like a tele)in the late 90's

the JT english guitar are at least nice looking. those custom shops look like somehthing someone in the lawrence welk orchestra or the band Alabama  might play

RacerX

Fuck the purists (sorry, Chovis); I kinda dig these Bastardcasters. Like the Blacktop series, they have humbuckers and rosewood fretboards.

Look out for the set neck models, Gibson!

Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Fender thinline telecasters are semi-hollow with an F hole, too. There are lots of them.

The Eastwood comparison was a good one, funny and on-target.

The Shocker

I like the Fender experiments better than the Gibsons.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: deaner33 on June 02, 2011, 08:38:06 PM
I like the Fender experiments better than the Gibsons.

Yeah, at least Fender still has a set of fret files in their shop somewhere.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: grimniggzy on June 02, 2011, 01:46:22 PM
If they had a 50's P with an added mudbucker up near the bridge, I'd be down.
Isn't that just another Squier? http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326902500

Oops, by the bridge, that's a weird idea, I saw a EB with a bridge pickup instead of a neck, looked weird  ;)

Chovie D

gibson experiments tend to be much wilder, a tradition dating back to the flying V...can you imagine that thing in the late 50's? I gotta agree some are heinous like the zoot suit sg and the reverse flying V.

I hate to sound so grumpy and like theres nothing i like, theres lotsa stuff I like old and new. I guess these just didnt appeal to me in concept or execution and the marketing, the name of the series, is just kind of ....stupid. Pawn shop guitars? just sounds like something you'd sell a gullible tourist.

I havent played many f hole teles, a few squires i think maybe,  but am aware of them  and understand they are fairly common. I guess thats why an f hole on a strat seems even weirder to me. Just looks out of place or like it should be on a tele.

well , someone buy one of these and report back i guess. I cant get past the name or the pictures tho

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.