I just bought a Yamaha SG200 for 74 bucks.

Started by VOLVO))), June 06, 2011, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

So what if it has an inline fracture in the neck, and a separating fretboard? I've been playing it for the passed 45 minutes, and even with those bullshit issues, it still sounds damn good, and plays pretty sweet, to boot. Someone dropped it on the knobs (crushing the cavity), I'm probably not going to dick with it. It's also riddled with screw holes from gay nametags or something.

It's black. I own zero black guitars out of 15?

I have to find some pickup rings for it, and possibly a new stop tail/bridge. It doesn't seem to have studs... weird.

What other rad Yamaha/Jap Gibson ripoff guitars should I keep my eyes out for?

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

zachoff

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/

ROWDY plays two Yamahas.  I think SG2000s.  I used to play a couple old Yamaha BB basses but ditched them in favor of a couple G&L L-2000s.  Old Yamaha shit is rad though for sure.

RAGER

I really dig those guitars.  Yours must be and early one.  Yamaha was eventually forced to change them to SBG.  Also known as the Les Paule Killer.  Nice score ;)
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

It's heavy, and beat up. I love it. Soon as I get the fretboard glued back down, and the inline fracture glued up it'll be golden. Too bad I have to strip the entire neck because I don't feel like getting stabbed with paint chips constantly. It'll get oiled and waxed. It'll be baby smooth.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Post some pics man.  I love those Yamaha SG's.

VOLVO)))

Stringless

Still Stringless

headstoccccckk

:( :( :( Look at the fucking fret, the douchebag who broke the neck and didn't reglue it filed the fret down so it wouldn't buzz because the neck was broken. Looks like I'll have to recrown that motherfucker, too. /wrists.

fuuuucccckkk :(

a lot worse than I originally expected...

sanding it down...

clampppps

It'll buff out, I'm sure. I'm gonna sand all the bullshit off the neck, and just fade to black (hahaha) at the neck joint, and at the headstock. I'll just oil and wax the back of the neck after sanding all of the mehhhhh off it. Most likely tomorrow.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

In other news, the Droid X takes some fucking boss up-close shots from time to time...

I'm debating whether I should dowel it or not. If it feels solid after all the sanding, I'll leave it be.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Is that a bolt neck or set neck?  BTW, if you ever decide to get rid of it let me know.  I may have some trade bait for you...

LogicalFrank

That is a nasty looking break. I don't think in a million years I'd come up w/ the idea of filing down a fret to fix buzzing caused by a broken neck. I think it'd actually take less time to just glue the neck. Maybe if I had to play it that night or something....
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

It's a set neck. The glue should be dry this morning, I'm gonna go over and sand it down to 220+ and give her the first coat of oil... then get started on the fretwork.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Interesting.  The lower end SG's are usually bolt necks.

VOLVO)))

I was thinking the same thing, but it's a big ol' hunk of mahogany. The electronics are weird, there's a board in there, all the pots are mounted to the board. Don't care, long as they work. Fired right up when I plugged it in yesterday. I'll shoot some more pictures of the repair when I go over today, just checked the thermometer and it says 99, where I am. It's 10:26AM.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Just out of curiosity.. what is this aforementioned trade bait?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Ha, thought you were ignoring that.  

A Danolectro Danoblaster with distortion built in (and stereo or quasi stereo output).

A Guyatone Fuzz pedal (the orange mini one) if I can find it.

A Boss pedalboard with all the foam inserts and cables.

Not sure what else I have.  Tons of stereo equipment too.

justinhedrick

Quote from: deaner33 on June 07, 2011, 04:06:27 PM

A Danolectro Danoblaster with distortion built in (and stereo or quasi stereo output).

Not sure what else I have.  Tons of stereo equipment too.

i always wanted one of those dano blasters. seriously. it looks like an f-ed up mosrite, right?

The Shocker

Yeah, it's pretty cool.  I'll post a picture of it later.

The Shocker

Sorry to derail your thread SunnO))).   Carry on with the resto, it's interesting.

blackkrosses

The 200 is set-neck with no top, no binding, no pickup covers. The most like an SG (special). The others are more like Les Paul Customs with horns. I had a sg500b, it was set neck but had a cap and binding. Really cool guitars.

VOLVO)))

No worries, Deany. Its done, actually. Sand out and set up . Its a player!

Note, that is not my normal voice.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Whatever Spicoli.

Sounds like 74 bucks well spent.

johnny problem

Discö Rice

Quote from: deaner33 on June 08, 2011, 08:15:20 AM
Whatever Spicoli.

That Danoblaster is neato. I want it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

Nice work on the repair. Surprised you had it done so quick (Im a procrastinator).

Hey, those Guyatone TZ2 fuzzes are cool... they can get real nasty.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

Quote from: justinhedrick on June 07, 2011, 04:22:55 PM
Quote from: deaner33 on June 07, 2011, 04:06:27 PM

Not sure what else I have.  Tons of stereo equipment too.

i always wanted one of those dano blasters. seriously. it looks like an f-ed up mosrite, right?
Quote from: Discö Fistö on June 08, 2011, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: deaner33 on June 08, 2011, 08:15:20 AM
Whatever Spicoli.

That Danoblaster is neato. I want it.

Bidding war?  Just kidding.  I'd love to trade the Danno for that Yamaha, but if Sunno isn't interested I am open to trading/selling it.  

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on June 08, 2011, 03:33:42 PM
Nice work on the repair. Surprised you had it done so quick (Im a procrastinator).

Hey, those Guyatone TZ2 fuzzes are cool... they can get real nasty.

It's not subtle.  Not a toy either.