Main Menu

tomorrow...

Started by Mike_Sims, July 04, 2011, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Sims

...is my group's 3rd show, 1st with me doing vocals + playing guitar (our vocalist moved, so yeah). For some reason, I feel like I'm not as "nervous" as I should be. Only thing I'm kinda worried about is shocking my lips.. Hasn't happened yet (at practice), so I'm hoping it won't happen tomorrow. Any advice?

Hemisaurus

Buy a foam mic shield.

Sometimes insulation is your best protection.

mortlock

not as nervous as you should be is also called the calm before the storm..

Mike_Sims

yeahhh... I usually feel kinda numb about it until I'm on my way to the venue, then I'm like "oh shit", but once I kick on the muff w/ the Model T's I feel kinda like "yeahhhhh I got this". 'Spose I'll just bring a sock with me in the ol' back pocket just in case.

bass sic

Supposed to keep the sock in the front.

Slow

I don't have to sing, but I counteract my awkward feelings with a really long cable, and walking amongst the crowd as I play. Just like old blues guys.
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Slow on July 05, 2011, 10:36:36 AM
I don't have to sing, but I counteract my awkward feelings with a really long cable, and walking amongst the crowd as I play. Just like old blues guys.
Very Zodiac Mindwarp.

Did a show with them, where during a solo, the guitar player got on the back of this big black roadie, and was walked around the venue, with another roadie training a giant mag-lite on him. ;D

Slow

It's a good feeling, I really don't like playing clubs and venues... I like houses.
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

justinhedrick

Quote from: Slow on July 05, 2011, 12:12:33 PM
It's a good feeling, I really don't like playing clubs and venues... I like houses.

agreed. house partys are the shizz. i actually wish i had a good P.A. so my band could play anywhere: houses, sheds, barns, you name it.

Slow

We're instrumental, for a while, until I can sing and play at the same to a song other than Dragonaut.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Slow on July 05, 2011, 12:41:14 PM
We're instrumental, for a while, until I can sing and play at the same to a song other than Dragonaut.
I can relate. You might want to try a headset mic, sounds iffy I know, but the hardest thing for me was to keep playing whilst standing straight in front of a mic. If the mic moves with you, you can stare at your hands, or your feet, or whatever. Also if you don't like the sound of your voice, just bury it in FX.

Mike_Sims

well, it went good actually. no shockage. Crowd was kinda dead do I decided to impose on them and make myself feel more comfortable

VOLVO)))

GG Allin style, or old blues guy style Sims-style? Did you rub your pedobeard on anyone? ;D ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

yes, explain please?

Mike_Sims

Usually I would. This time I just poked at how dead this crowd was, ah good times. I felt like I made a bunch of people uncomfortable when I said "come a little closer". haha... that relaxed me, I guess the newly shaved head + beard combo was a little off-putting. Oh and I saw Matt Pike roaming around with a really tight tank top on... Which was entertaining and kinda made ME uneasy at the same time.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Mike_Sims on July 07, 2011, 01:48:51 AM
Usually I would. This time I just poked at how dead this crowd was, ah good times. I felt like I made a bunch of people uncomfortable when I said "come a little closer". haha... that relaxed me, I guess the newly shaved head + beard combo was a little off-putting. Oh and I saw Matt Pike roaming around with a really tight tank top on... Which was entertaining and kinda made ME uneasy at the same time.

that's awesome about pike. maybe his way of thinking is "if i can't go shirtless, i'll wear the tightest shirt i own".

also, on a side note: i don't ever ask people to "come closer".

VOLVO)))

We rarely play on stages, if we can help it. some of the bigger venues force you to, but houses/small venues where we can set up in the middle of the room is where I'm at home. I fucking LOVE Thou's philosophy, "CMON UP!" I make it a point so mosh hard as fuck when Thou is here... best band in the south, ATM.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 07, 2011, 12:05:12 PM
We rarely play on stages, if we can help it. some of the bigger venues force you to, but houses/small venues where we can set up in the middle of the room is where I'm at home. I fucking LOVE Thou's philosophy, "CMON UP!" I make it a point so mosh hard as fuck when Thou is here... best band in the south, ATM.

i'll have to look Thou up.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 07, 2011, 09:19:48 AM
Me neither, I just get closer to them. Some poor girl in Wilmington, had this freak in a gas mask, trailing an umbilical and holding a bass, screaming in her face last time we played there. Wish I had pic of that. ;)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 07, 2011, 02:24:46 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on July 07, 2011, 09:19:48 AM
Me neither, I just get closer to them. Some poor girl in Wilmington, had this freak in a gas mask, trailing an umbilical and holding a bass, screaming in her face last time we played there. Wish I had pic of that. ;)

that's awesome. remind me again why we haven't got our shit together and played a show in each other's neck of the woods?

Hemisaurus

Coz one of your players just got out the hospital, and we're just reworking everythibg as a bloody two piece again.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 07, 2011, 05:29:30 PM
Coz one of your players just got out the hospital, and we're just reworking everythibg as a bloody two piece again.

all of this is true . . . get your shizz together and so will we. fall work for you?! :P

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 07, 2011, 05:42:03 PM

all of this is true . . . get your shizz together and so will we. fall work for you?! :P
Mebbe, if we can play Chicago, maybe hook up with LogicalFrank. I'm not playing Central IL no more, and I'm getting a taser for any mofo that thinks it's fucking funny to yell Freebird.

xander face

dude, it is REALLY fucking funny to yell "Freebird" and you know it.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 07, 2011, 08:20:41 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on July 07, 2011, 05:42:03 PM

Mebbe, if we can play Chicago, maybe hook up with LogicalFrank. I'm not playing Central IL no more, and I'm getting a taser for any mofo that thinks it's fucking funny to yell Freebird.

FRANK! get frank in here!